Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 511 to 535 of 535

Thread: China Space Station

  1. #511
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday morning spoke with the three astronauts stationed in the country's space station core module Tianhe."

    http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202...1310023590.htm

    Xi, also general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC), held the conversation from the Beijing Aerospace Control Center, speaking with Nie Haisheng, Liu Boming and Tang Hongbo. The three astronauts were sent into space aboard the Shenzhou-12 spaceship on June 17.

    Xi warmly greeted the astronauts on behalf of the CPC Central Committee, the State Council, the CMC, and people of all ethnic groups in the country.

    "You are the first astronauts stationed in the core module Tianhe and will stay in space for three months," Xi said during the video call. "We all care about you very much."
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  2. #512
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "How does China's urine recycling system work in space?"

    http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202...1310021955.htm

    Storing basic life support materials like water, food and oxygen aboard a space station can be challenging -- so much so that some are generated aboard rather than delivered to space.

    Chinese scientists have devised a system to recycle water from the urine, breath and sweat produced by astronauts in space, which could save up to 100 million yuan (about 15.5 million U.S. dollars) over a period of six months with three astronauts in orbit.

    The system has been installed in China's newly launched core space station module Tianhe, meaning urine can be processed into distilled water, some of which will be used for toilet flushing. The remainder, together with collected breath condensate, can be purified further for electrolytic oxygen generation and experiments, said Cui Guangzhi, one of the designers of the urine treatment system.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  3. #513
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    What have the Chinese astronauts been eating after arriving at the CSS. Nothing like what has been served at the ISS!!!

    https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/A...orbit_999.html

    Astronauts on board the core module of China's space station have a wide variety of foods specifically designed for them to enjoy during their three-month space journey, according to project leaders.

    Ji Qiming, assistant director of the China Manned Space Agency, said that there are more than 120 kinds of food and beverages inside the core module, named Tianhe, or Harmony of Heavens. These carefully selected foods and beverages are nutritionally balanced, taste good and can be kept for a long time.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  4. #514
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    BBC on "Astronauts record first 24 hours in space"

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57577880

    New footage released on Wednesday also showed the three men - Nie Haisheng, Liu Boming and Tang Hongbo - having meals as boxes floated around them.

    The video documented their first 24 hours aboard the Tianhe module, where they will stay for three months.

    It is China's first crewed space mission in nearly five years, and will be its longest to date.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  5. #515
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "How does China's satellite chain help taikonauts make home calls?"

    https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-06-2...YKI/index.html

    China's self-developed Tianlian relay satellites can help Chinese astronauts, or taikonauts, connect with Earth seamlessly as well as keep them safe during the journey.

    The taikonauts in China's space station can contact the control center on Earth or their families freely anytime thanks to China's advances in satellite systems.

    China currently operates five data-tracking relay satellites including four Tianlian I and a Tianlian II-01 working as data transmission stops, with the ability to cover satellites and manned spacecraft in medium and low Earth orbits.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  6. #516
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "Answers you might want to get from Shenzhou-12 astronauts"

    http://en.people.cn/n3/2021/0624/c90000-9864356.html

    China's Shenzhou-12 spaceship was launched on June 17 from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China’s Gobi Desert on June 17 and successfully reached low-earth orbit. Three Chinese astronauts entered the Tianhe core module of the country's space station after the spaceship docked with the core module, becoming the first batch of astronauts to do so.

    It marked the first manned mission during the construction of China's space station, as well as the first time for Chinese astronauts to enter the space in the recent five years.

    Before the spaceship was launched, three astronauts onboard it, including Nie Haisheng, Liu Boming and Tang Hongbo, received an exclusive interview by People's Daily and answered questions from readers.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  7. #517
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "China Space Station Crew: Preparing for First Spacewalk"

    https://www.leonarddavid.com/china-s...rst-spacewalk/

    China’s space station crew is set to carry out its first spacewalk.

    An EVA spacesuit has been taken out of the Tianzhou-2 cargo spacecraft and installed it in the node module of the Tianhe core module of China’s space station.

    “The taikonauts will start extravehicular activities in 10 days or so. The ground personnel have already completed preliminary testing and control of the robotic arm in orbit, said Sun Jun, director of the space station mission of the Beijing Aerospace Flight Control Center.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  8. #518
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "A glimpse at life inside China's space station"

    https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-06-2...X04/index.html

    What is life like aboard the space station? How will China's astronauts live there? Let's take a look in this episode of Tech Breakdown.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  9. #519
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "The Tianhe core module has Hall-effect thrusters"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XysczpCTaE8

    The Tianhe core module (天和核心舱), the first and main component of the China Space Station (中国空间站), has two propulsion systems: chemical propulsion that creates thrust from chemical reactions between solid or liquid propellants, and Hall-effect thrusters that generate thrust by accelerating ions using electricity.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  10. #520
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    15,009
    Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    "The Tianhe core module has Hall-effect thrusters"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XysczpCTaE8
    Random trivia: the Hall effect is used for the iPhone compass.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

  11. #521
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "Shenzhou XII crew successfully conclude first spacewalk"

    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/20210...d65f97b_1.html

    The Shenzhou XII mission crew carried out on Sunday the country's first extravehicular activity, commonly known as a spacewalk, in 13 years by working about seven hours outside the core module of China's permanent space station.

    After hours of preparations on early Sunday morning, Major General Liu Boming floated out of the module, named Tianhe, or Harmony of Heavens, at 8:11 am to start the challenging spacewalk as the module was circling the Earth in an orbit about 390 kilometers above the ground. Senior Colonel Tang Hongbo was in the service cabin to assist Liu and later flew out of Tianhe at 11:02 am.

    Wearing the nation's new-generation extravehicular suit, the pair conducted several sophisticated maneuvers, including testing a large robotic arm, installing equipment outside the spacecraft and adjusting the external panoramic camera. The spacewalk finished at 2:57 pm when Tang and Liu returned inside the module and closed the hatch.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  12. #522
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "Stunning view from China's space station"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXG1zpk75M

    Two Chinese astronauts stationed in the Tianhe core module of China's space station, Tiangong, conducted extravehicular activities for the first time on Sunday. One of their tasks was to elevate the panoramic camera outside the core module. Here's the footage filmed by the camera showing spectacular views of space.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  13. #523
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "Mechanical arm is Chinese astronauts' space helper"

    http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202...1310044506.htm

    The mechanical arm installed on China's space station core module Tianhe has played an important role in assisting the astronauts with their extravehicular activities (EVAs) on Sunday.

    The mechanical arm is designed to ensure the safe and reliable operation of the space station in orbit, to help the astronauts in EVAs, such as the assembly, construction, maintenance, and repair of the space station, and support space applications.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  14. #524
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    Another article on China's space walk. Includes a 3 minute video.

    https://spacenews.com/astronauts-com...ion-spacewalk/

    Two Shenzhou-12 astronauts conducted a spacewalk late Saturday to carry to install equipment required for the long-term operation of China’s space station.

    Liu Boming opened the hatch of the Tianhe module at 8:11 p.m. Eastern July 3 and was later joined outside by Tang Hongbo. Activities were completed at 2:57 a.m. July 4, according to the China Manned Space Agency (CMSA).

    Wearing new-generation Feitian extravehicular activity suits the pair worked outside Tianhe while orbiting around 380 kilometers above the surface of the Earth.

    Liu worked attached to a robotic arm while Tang worked along handrails on Tianhe.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  15. #525
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "China’s space station recycles 66 liters of urine in 3 weeks to support crew"

    One interesting bit of information in the article is - "the rate for the delivery of international cargo to the orbiting spacecraft is about 140,000 to 350,000 yuan per kilogram". How does it compare to cargo to the ISS?

    https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202107/1227953.shtml

    As the Shenzhou-12 crew of three taikonauts has lived for nearly three weeks in China's Tianhe space station core module, the urine treatment system in the module has recycled 66 liters of urine and treated it into distilled water to support the crew, the Global Times learned from the system designers on Tuesday.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  16. #526
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    15,009
    Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    "China’s space station recycles 66 liters of urine in 3 weeks to support crew"

    One interesting bit of information in the article is - "the rate for the delivery of international cargo to the orbiting spacecraft is about 140,000 to 350,000 yuan per kilogram". How does it compare to cargo to the ISS?

    https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202107/1227953.shtml
    There isn't that much difference in altitude, 400 km for the ISS versus 380 or so for Shenzhou-12. I think it would depend more on what rocket you are using to launch the cargo.
    As above, so below

  17. #527
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    There isn't that much difference in altitude, 400 km for the ISS versus 380 or so for Shenzhou-12. I think it would depend more on what rocket you are using to launch the cargo.
    Not looking at altitude but cost for delivering cargo to the ISS. As you say it will vary depending on launch rocket. China's is between 140,000 to 350,000 yuan per kilogram.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  18. #528
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    15,009
    I found somewhere that Falcon 9 can deliver cargo for $2,720 per kilo. I'm not sure how that converts into yuan.
    As above, so below

  19. #529
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    15,009
    Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Not looking at altitude but cost for delivering cargo to the ISS.
    I only mentioned the altitude because I think the altitude would affect the cost. However, to be honest, I'm a bit confused about how it would affect it, and would really appreciate hearing from more knowledgeable posters about the effect. My initial assumption was that the higher altitude would require more fuel, but on the other hand, the orbital speed is lower, so maybe paradoxically it could require less?
    As above, so below

  20. #530
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I found somewhere that Falcon 9 can deliver cargo for $2,720 per kilo. I'm not sure how that converts into yuan.
    With an online converter, I get 17,595 yuon out of $2,720. 140,000 to 350,000 yuan then appears much higher, though I’m not sure if your Falcon 9 figure includes the cost of the Dragon capsule, etc? Still, I expect SpaceX is cheaper.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  21. #531
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I only mentioned the altitude because I think the altitude would affect the cost. However, to be honest, I'm a bit confused about how it would affect it, and would really appreciate hearing from more knowledgeable posters about the effect. My initial assumption was that the higher altitude would require more fuel, but on the other hand, the orbital speed is lower, so maybe paradoxically it could require less?
    Really hard to say. If everything else is equal, it takes more velocity change to go higher, but the difference here is minimal. A bigger issue would be other details of the orbits versus the launch site. I don’t know the inclination of the Chinese station, but the ISS is fairly high inclination as a compromise for the Russians. That tends to mean more velocity change. I think both stations are in circular orbits. Then there are details on how the rockets work that will affect fuel use. For instance, solid fuel boosters require more total fuel for the same velocity change.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  22. #532
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,426
    I’ll add that fuel cost is really a small factor. Reusability makes a big difference with SpaceX.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  23. #533
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "A month in China Space Station: What's been done so far?"

    https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-07-1...Lwk/index.html

    It's been a month since the Shenzhou-12 spacecraft carried the three Chinese astronauts, or taikonauts, to China's space station. As one of the most important missions for the manned space program, the Shenzhou-12 is a display of China's latest space technology.

    The China Manned Space Engineering Office (CMSEO) on Saturday published a timeline of Shenzhou-12's progress so far. And here's a translation of it.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  24. #534
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "Working, dining, TV watching, exercising: A typical day in China Space Station"

    https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-07-1...tXG/index.html

    The trio started work at 8:00 a.m. Beijing time on Friday. They completed a platform inspection of the manned spacecraft and collected trace elements in the air in four hours.

    Afternoon work began at 2 o'clock. On arriving at the center at about 4 p.m., the reporter saw Nie Haishang and Tang Hongbo replacing the carbon dioxide removal device, which is part of the environmental control and life support systems in the cabin.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  25. #535
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    9,337
    "China’s space station is preparing to host 1,000 scientific experiments"

    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02018-3

    China launched the core of its space station in April, and sent three astronauts up in June. But although it probably won’t be complete until late 2022, there is already a long queue of experiments from across the world waiting to go up. Scientists in China told Nature that the China Manned Space Agency (CMSA) has tentatively approved more than 1,000 experiments, several of which have already been launched.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •