Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: how do i calculate gravity? :(

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2

    how do i calculate gravity? :(

    if i wanted to calculate the force of gravity using the formula Fg = G (m1*m2)/(d^2)
    in order to find out the pull that, say, Saturn has on a person at the earths surface, would i use the mass of the earth as M1 or the mass or the person as m1 or would I just calculate distance from the surface of the earth rather then distance from the centre of the earth? Im guessing I would have to do two calculations to account for maximum distance and minimum distance and display the answer as a range of values?
    thanks so much for any answers.... theyre a big help
    r

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Durham NC USA
    Posts
    8,197
    In your calculatio, M1 is the mass of the person, M2 is the mass of Saturn.

    The distance d will vary as the earth turns, as you point out, but will also vary through the year, as earth and Saturn can be on opposite sides of the sun. Use a spreadsheet, and calculate all the range of values.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2
    Hi, thanks so much for the reply... does this mean that the mass of the earth itself is irrelevant in the calculation? By what youre saying, the gravitational pull of the earth would act on the person, but not alter the actual quantifiable gravitational pull of saturn on the person except in practical terms... ie . that it applying a far greater counteracting forcr. Is this right?




    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    In your calculatio, M1 is the mass of the person, M2 is the mass of Saturn.

    The distance d will vary as the earth turns, as you point out, but will also vary through the year, as earth and Saturn can be on opposite sides of the sun. Use a spreadsheet, and calculate all the range of values.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    In your calculatio, M1 is the mass of the person, M2 is the mass of Saturn.
    Be careful though - it's very important not to reverse the two.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    N.E.Ohio
    Posts
    22,006
    Quote Originally Posted by rckelly View Post
    ... does this mean that the mass of the earth itself is irrelevant in the calculation? By what youre saying, the gravitational pull of the earth would act on the person, but not alter the actual quantifiable gravitational pull of saturn on the person except in practical terms... ie . that it applying a far greater counteracting forcr. Is this right?
    That is my question too. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

    My thought would be to compute the pull of gravity between the person and the Earth (although; we already know that), and then subtract the pull of the person to Saturn. (assuming Saturn is directly overhead of the person)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Durham NC USA
    Posts
    8,197
    Quote Originally Posted by rckelly View Post
    Hi, thanks so much for the reply... does this mean that the mass of the earth itself is irrelevant in the calculation? By what youre saying, the gravitational pull of the earth would act on the person, but not alter the actual quantifiable gravitational pull of saturn on the person except in practical terms... ie . that it applying a far greater counteracting forcr. Is this right?
    Depends upon the configuration of the planets. Sometimes it is counteracting, sometimes it is augmenting, sometimes the forces act at right angles to each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePlus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grapes
    In your calculatio, M1 is the mass of the person, M2 is the mass of Saturn.
    Be careful though - it's very important not to reverse the two.
    M1 and M2 are symmetrical in the formula, so it doesn't make a difference which is which. The calculated force is the force that Saturn pulls on the person, and the force that the person pulls on Saturn.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by rckelly View Post
    Hi, thanks so much for the reply... does this mean that the mass of the earth itself is irrelevant in the calculation? By what youre saying, the gravitational pull of the earth would act on the person, but not alter the actual quantifiable gravitational pull of saturn on the person except in practical terms... ie . that it applying a far greater counteracting forcr. Is this right?
    Grapes already answered the second part of this (that the force from Earth isn't always counteracting the pull from Saturn). But what he left implied, I'll state explicitly: yes, the size of the gravitational force you feel from Saturn would be the same if you were floating in space rather than standing on the Earth, as long as your distance from Saturn was the same.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •