Thread: Iranian space program

Iranian space program

India to have competition to be the next country to send a man into space.

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ir...lites_999.html

In February Iran's officials has unveiled the new Tadbir (Wisdom) and Persian Gulf satellites and in September the ISA has announced its plan to send a man in space within next four years.

Well, sending people into space is relatively easy. Getting them back to the surface alive is the tricky part.
    (English is not my first language, so please excuse any mistakes and unintended ambiguities.)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    India to have competition to be the next country to send a man into space.
    They announced that 6 years ago.
    If they want that, then they better step up their efforts since their heaviest rocket at this point can only lift 60kg to orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    They announced that 6 years ago.

If they want that, then they better step up their efforts since their heaviest rocket at this point can only lift 60kg to orbit.
    That'll change. Simorgh (Safir-2A)*is penciled in for next April. If Iran ever puts a decent S2 on that thing....
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2014-Oct-08 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks for the name. At the time I couldn't find anything about their future rockets. That helped me find this:
    Safir-2A is the first version of Safir-2 with the name of Simorgh. Length of it is 26 m, diameter of it is around 2.5 m and weight of it is around 86 tons. Thrust of is around 143 tons. It can put 100 kg satellites into 500 km altitude orbits.
    The next our step is Safir-3A and Safir-3B that can put 1,000 kg satellites into 1,000 km altitude orbits. If could add micro thrusters and some side equipments to it, it can put payloads into 36,000 km altitude orbits.
    The design and production of satellite carrier rockets with a range of 1,000 kilometers are given a high priority in the country’s Five-Year Development Plan (2010-2015).
    They have quite a way to go.

That's not the only one. There's another much larger launcher, and they have a deal from last spring (May?) with Russia to help them with their crew program.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    That's not the only one. There's another much larger launcher,
    Do you mind if I don't take your word for it. Those references are the only ones I can find.
    What larger launcher? What capabilities? How far in the design process is it? Etc.

and they have a deal from last spring (May?) with Russia to help them with their crew program.
    That was only for astronaut training... no crew or rocket hardware.

It still counts as lessons learned in training will help their capsule development. There have been other agreements since, some in satellite development which is partly dual-use with crew, and more cooperation agreements are expected later this month.
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2014-Oct-13 at 12:30 PM.

It still counts as lessons learned in training will help their capsule development. There have been other agreements since, some in satellite development which is partly dual-use with crew, and more cooperation agreements are expected later this month.
    I don't disagree with that.
    The article did mention satellite development, but I didn't, because they are Earth observation satellites. I don't think they have much bearing on this topic.
    (in fact, I think there should be a new thread on this)

Iran Launches Satellite Into Space, First Since 2012

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ir..._2012_999.html

Iran has launched its Fajr (Dawn) observation satellite, using a Safir-2 rocket, the country's Fars news agency reported, its first launch since 2012 and declared that it has safely entered orbit. The launch marks the 35th anniversary of the Iranian Revolution and comes one day ahead of the country's Space Technology Day.

Looks like Iran is gearing up for another launch.

https://blog.urthecast.com/updates/v...ased-activity/

Captured March 2nd and delivered to the United Nations Office of Outer Space Affairs for analysis, this recent HD Iris video of Iran’s Imam Khomeini space launch facility shows increased activity in the area, suggesting that a launch of the Simorgh SLV rocket — which is designed to send satellites into space — could be fast-approaching.

Iran has announced they have abandoned they plans to send humans to space on their spacecraft.

https://spacewatchme.com/2017/06/ira...ght-ambitions/

"In an unsurprising move, the Iranian government has officially abandoned Tehran’s ambitions to send humans into space.

According to Iranian news agency ILNA, Mohammad Homayoun Sadr, the deputy head of the Iran Space Agency (ISA), made the announcement citing the extremely steep cost of a human spaceflight programme that he estimated was somewhere between U.S.$15-20 billion over 15 years. This price-tag is onerous for a well-functioning large economy, never mind one that is laboring under international sanctions, endemic corruption, failing economic policies, and lack of reforms as is the case with Iran."

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

It would only have amounted to some pre-Mercury type designs
    https://thehighfrontier.blog/2015/09...ects-pre-1960/

Iran is set to expand collaboration with the Asia-Pacific Space Cooperation Organization and join two of its existing projects.

https://financialtribune.com/sites/d..._apsco_320.jpg

The Minister of Communications and Information Technology Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi said, "Iran is ready to join two major APSCO projects namely, APOSOS and DSSP," the official website of the ministry reported.

He made the remarks in a meeting with the Secretary General of APSCO Li Xinjun in Tehran over the weekend.

APOSOS (Asia-Pacific ground-based Optical Space Observation),which is based in China started its space activities in 2008 focusing on educating and training human resources, executing joint programs in space and outer space and using satellites.

Jahromi said, “Iran has already installed a telescope in collaboration with APSCO. Our collaboration will increase as we join the two projects.”

A article referring to Iran's rocket program and the objections to it as well as Iran's need for it for civilian use.

https://spacewatchme.com/2017/09/spa...-vehicle-test/

Iran’s test launch of its Simorgh space launch vehicle (SLV) on July 27, 2017, caused significant yet unsurprising controversy throughout the international community. Two months later, with the dust literally settling, Natalie Fuchs – SpaceWatch Middle East’s contributing editor on all things Iranian space – argues that it is possible that the U.S., its allies, and others such as China, were perhaps misplaced in their criticisms of the Simorgh SLV test launch.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Perhaps they are planning to send really, really skinny astronauts.

The status of future satellites to be launched by Iran.

https://spacewatchme.com/2017/10/ira...ce-week-event/

"During a press conference marking World Space Week, the head of the Iran Space Agency (ISA), Mohsen Bahrami, provided an update to the status of the five indigenously built satellites awaiting launch in Iran. The satellites (Doosti, Amir Kabir, Nahid 1, Zafar, and Pars 1) are all “on the agenda and their launch contracts have been signed.”"

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

History of Iran's rocket development.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2019...ellite-launch/

On 2 February 2009 the Islamic Republic of Iran made its first satellite launch, using a Safir rocket to deploy a small satellite, Omid. Ten years later Iran is boastful about plans for the future of its space program as it begins to mature, with new rockets entering service and new satellites preparing to launch.

The February 2009 launch of Omid, whose name means “Hope” in Farsi, saw Iran become the ninth sovereign nation to place a satellite into orbit using a rocket of their own development.

Omid was not Iran’s first satellite: Sina-1 was launched three and a half years earlier, however this spacecraft was constructed by Russia’s NPO Polyot and it flew to orbit atop a Kosmos-3M rocket from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome, rather than using an Iranian vehicle. With Omid, Iran demonstrated its self-reliance: building much of the satellite and performing the launch itself.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"Riding off success of new satellite, Iran official calls for creation of permanent space-based radar"

https://www.spacewar.com/reports/Rid...radar_999.html

ehran achieved a major breakthrough with its space programme in April, launching the Noor-1 (lit. 'Light-1') military satellite into orbit. US Chief of Space Operations Gen. Jay Raymond derided the spacecraft as a mere "tumbling webcam in space". However, in July, Iran released detailed satellite images of the largest US base in the Middle East.

Building on the success of its previous endeavours, Iran needs to move to the development and construction of space-based radars, Deputy Defence Minister Brig. Gen. Qassem Taqizadeh has said.

"Sooner or later, we will need space-based radars. We must pursue this issue in the country's scientific communities and have the necessary context in this regard to ensure that the country does not suffer from any 'strategic technological surprises' in the future," Taqizadeh said, speaking at a conference on radar and monitoring systems on Saturday, his remarks quoted by Tasnim.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Tehran achieved a major breakthrough with its space programme in April, launching the Noor-1 (lit. 'Light-1') military satellite into orbit. US Chief of Space Operations Gen. Jay Raymond derided the spacecraft as a mere "tumbling webcam in space". However, in July, Iran released detailed satellite images of the largest US base in the Middle East.
    Pardon the cynicism but is there any verification those images came from the Iranian satellite and weren't just purchased from a third party?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    Pardon the cynicism but is there any verification those images came from the Iranian satellite and weren't just purchased from a third party?
    There has been no feedback from the US on that!
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    There has been no feedback from the US on that!
    Probably because it isn't that big a deal given the number of imaging satellites in orbit. I think the original article was trying to whip up some paranoia.