Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lava flow threatens Pahoa, HI

Lava flow threatens Pahoa, HI

I've been waiting for someone to post about this here and finally realized I should do it myself. A lava flow from Kilauea is threatening the village of Pahoa. Unlike most flows it's gone north instead of southeast to the sea. No homes damaged yet, that I know of, but it could be happening soon. If anyone has links to better sources on this I'd appreciate it.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/us/haw...html?hpt=hp_t2
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory Cams
    Kilauea Status Reports, Updates
    Tuesday:
    As of 5:30 PM, the flow was 310 meters (340 yards) in a straight line distance from Pāhoa Village Road and about 900 meters (985 yards) in a straight-line distance from Highway 130.

I can ask my friends who are from there--you've actually met one of them. My best friend Gwen, the one who was watching Simon at faire, grew up in Pahoa. She seems to be taking the whole thing as "well, we live on an active volcano," though I suspect she'd let me know if the house her mother still lives in were threatened.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The update as of yesterday afternoon

As of 4:15 pm, the flow was about 185 m (202 yd) in a straight line distance from Pāhoa Village Road and about 775 meters (850 yd) in a straight-line distance from Highway 130.

The lava lobe south of the main flow and upslope of Apa`a Street was not active today, but there were a couple of small breakouts on the north side of the flow that have advanced 70 to 110 m (75 to 120 yd) in the past day.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I talked to one of my friends last night. She says it looks like the schools are going to be destroyed, which she says is going to have bad effects on the local kids. They'll be sent to a consolidated school down the road instead. Also, instead of taking forty minutes to drive to Hilo from Pahoa, the new road they're going to build will take something like twice that time.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Not to mention the threat to the garbage transfer station!

Sorry. It's a serious situation, of course, and I hope they come through it ok. In cases of man vs mother nature, man loses most of the time. The flow has mostly been sideways the last couple of days, but that probably won't last.

ETA: If it helps any, from Google maps and the HVO maps linked above, the schools look to be some distance from the "path of steepest descent" where the flow is likely to go. That doesn't help, of course, if you're on the wrong side.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2014-Nov-04 at 12:16 AM.

From the HVO maps site referenced above, the tip of the flow has not advanced in the past several days, although it widened out a few days ago. There seems to be a big breakout well "upstream" which may help to take some of the pressure off.

Slow-moving lava hits first house in Hawaii town
    The molten rock hit the house Monday, and officials are expecting the house to burn down within 30 to 40 minutes. The occupants have already left the residence in Pahoa, the largest town in the Big Island's isolated and mostly agricultural Puna district.

If I'm reading the flow maps and Google maps correctly, the house in question is well away from the main part of town, basically across the street from the transfer station. The tip of the flow nearest town is still stalled.

ETA: This photo shows it, I think.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2014-Nov-11 at 02:50 PM.

Here's a photo from yesterday showing the transfer station and the area where the house was destroyed. I had assumed the transfer station may have had a berm around it but the caption here indicates it's an access road that's lower than the station itself and may take a few days to fill up. Note the vehicles and people at the transfer station! The flow tip nearest town is still inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Here's a photo from yesterday showing the transfer station...
    Warning: 16Mb. It might take a while.

Another large pic, I'm afraid, but I love it.

Area Closed
    Active Lava Flow
    Extremely Hazardous

Ya think?

Ya think?
    That fence is working pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    That fence is working pretty well.
    It would work better if they closed the gate.

Let a neighbor's dog dig out from under that fence.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Let a neighbor's dog dig out from under that fence.
    Lava did find a few weak spots.

But the dog isn't going to get through!

Not a lot of news the last couple of days. Activity is mostly upslope, it appears, with the flows fronts nearest town inactive. No new maps or pics since the 17th. Pahoa is still a long way from being out of the woods, however. This flow's been active since June 27 and may keep going for a long long time.

From the HVO status report, as of today (11/19):
    Activity Summary: Kīlauea Volcano continues to erupt at its summit and within its East Rift Zone. The downslope portion of the June 27th lava flow below the crack system, near Kaohe Homesteads and Pahoa, is not active, but breakouts remain active in the upslope portion of the flow between 1.6 km (1 mile) and about 11 km (7 miles) northeast of Puʻu ʻŌʻō. Kīlauea's summit has had deflationary tilt during the past two days, and the level of the summit lava lake at Halemaʻumaʻu Crater fluctuated slightly.

HVO scientists conducted field observations on the lowermost part of the June 27th lava flow yesterday. They found no indication that lava was still moving through the lava-tube system or on the surface between the flow tip near Pahoa Village Road and as far as about 1.2 km (0.75 mi) upslope of Apa`a St./Cemetery Rd. Overflights yesterday by Hawai`i County Civil Defense identified several surface flows on top of and along the margins of the June 27th flow between 1.6 km (1 mile) and about 11 km (7 miles) northeast of Puʻu ʻŌʻō. The lowermost breakout was located in the middle of the crack system on the East Rift Zone, indicating that lava has reoccupied the tube system at least this far from the vent. A USGS overflight is scheduled for later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    Hence the lack of updates recently, although I've been keeping an eye on it. Good news for Pahoa, for the time being, but this flow's been going since June 27 and shows no time of stopping.

The latest map, as of Dec 1, shows a long active finger of lava west of and roughly parallel to the older flow. It's following a "path of steepest decent" leading toward Pahoa Market Place. The text, however, notes that the current path comes very close to another in an area of flat ground and the flow could wind up following either, or both. The other path appears to me to lead north into a pretty heavily populated area. Could be a touchy situation either way.

If Madame Pele gives you lava, make lava-aid.

Laboratory Equipment magazine

Some students on Hawaii's Big Island are getting a rare, up-close look at the lava that's disrupting where they go to school. Hawaii County Civil Defense Director Darryl Oliveira says starting next week, affected students will go on field trips to parts of the lava flow that has reached the rural town of Pahoa.

He says it's a pilot program that will help officials consider offering lava-viewing opportunities to the public. Access so far has been restricted because of safety concerns.

Lava from Kilauea volcano has forced several schools to close.

Students are being rerouted to other area schools and a temporary site. The state Department of Education built a $9 million temporary site in a parking lot in case lava hits Keonepoko Elementary.

Oliveira says the excursions will include volcano science and a guided walk to where the flow crossed a road.

In the "no news is good news" department, the latest flow-finger continues to be stalled in flat terrain. Depending on supply, of course, it'll eventually have to decide which way (if not both) to go. Neither is particularly good.

Didn't we used to have a poster whose sig line was "Any problem can be solved by appropriate use of high explosives"? I keep wondering if there wouldn't be some way to blast a hole in the east side of Pu'u-o'o (sp?) and let the volume go out that way, where there have already been many massive flows.

And wasn't there a claim of Hilo being saved from a flow from Mauna Loa in the 1930's by bombs from the then Army Air Corps?

While the people of Pahoa wait anxiously and FOREVER for the lava to do something, residents of Cabo Verde have been dealing with a major catastrophe.

http://earthquake-report.com/2014/12...ases-downhill/

2 towns have been destroyed so far, and as Cabo Verde has very minimal means to deal with the destruction and no catastrophe insurance system, they will need international help to cope with this.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

How does this lava flow affect, if at all, any of the astronomical observatories, in that area (if there are any) and the surrounding areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    If Madame Pele gives you lava, make lava-aid.

Laboratory Equipment magazine
    That's pretty cool... OR IS IT?!?

I'm glad some good may come of this.
    Last edited by Cookie; 2014-Dec-10 at 06:50 AM.
    Shadilay

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    How does this lava flow affect, if at all, any of the astronomical observatories, in that area (if there are any) and the surrounding areas?
    Not in the least. Map

The lava flow is in the Eastern tip of the island (in the area named Puna).

The observatories are close to the summit of Mauna Loa. They are separated by about 40 miles and about 13,000 feet in elevation. Mauna Loa is inactive for all practical purposes.

The observatories are actually on Mauna Kea, not Mauna Loa which has been active in past 30 years or so. At least most of them are, I don't know if there's anything on Mauna Loa.

The observatories are actually on Mauna Kea, not Mauna Loa which has been active in past 30 years or so. At least most of them are, I don't know if there's anything on Mauna Loa.
    Sorry, you are absolutely correct. But they are still very far from the lava flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Sorry, you are absolutely correct. But they are still very far from the lava flow.
    Even farther, in fact!
    There are a couple of observatories on Mauna Loa: the Mauna Loa Observatory, and the Mauna Loa Solar Observatory, which share a site on the north slope.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    While the people of Pahoa wait anxiously and FOREVER for the lava to do something, residents of Cabo Verde have been dealing with a major catastrophe.

http://earthquake-report.com/2014/12...ases-downhill/

2 towns have been destroyed so far, and as Cabo Verde has very minimal means to deal with the destruction and no catastrophe insurance system, they will need international help to cope with this.

CJSF
    Thanks for posting that. It's pretty darn hard to find information about it. The villages destroyed are actually inside a massive caldera. When you're poor, you've got to live where you can make a living, I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_do_Fogo