Thread: Scale of images

Scale of images

Hello...I am Surjodoy from India, new to Mappers. While exploring Vesta images I could not find any information regarding the scale of the terrain I was looking at. The images themselves do not come with a scale. But how big are the areas in one image? Is it 40kmx40km or something in a different magnitude altogether?

I am sure the answer is somewhere but I could not find it. Any help will be appreciated

hello,
    Interesting question from Surjodoy
    it would be a state secret?
    Why no response?

regards

This is a common request in many astronomy-based citizen science projects, but it's one that we will not do. The reason is that knowing the image scale has introduced numerous biases (you wouldn't think that it would, but it does) and we also want to make the interface as lean as possible -- just give enough information and enough tools to "get it done," so to speak. In addition, we vary the scale of the images.

I'm not sure about the Vesta images, but the moon images have pixel scales anywhere from 20 cm/px to 3 m/px. Mercury has a much larger range.

a vague answer is not satisfactory

we could know the total number of images (for a single wavelength) covering mapping Vesta ?

thanks

As I said, I'm not on the Vesta Mappers team, so I don't know how many images are in the queue.

despairing
    One deserves a little more consideration
    ask the team
    Thank you

I understand that it might run into considerable error if people are given the actual measurements and then asked to identify a crater as a crater. I might even understand the basic logic behind giving just a fundamental set of tools. But what I just don't get is why vary the size of the images?

We are not just exploring photographic plates here, we are exploring real terrain. Give us the feel of that!

agreed.. why is it so secrete?

I could not find any information regarding the scale of the terrain.

I am not a Mapper, but I think the answer is encapsulated thus:

... knowing the image scale has introduced numerous biases (you wouldn't think that it would, but it does) ...
    This is a tool for processing data, and they must respect the integrity of the process. That supercedes the needs of users who wish to explore the surface for their own interest.