Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Mars 2020 Rover - "Perseverance"

Great news on all fronts! A helicopter can travel such great distances compared to a rover. Hopefully they can maximize the knowledge gain from Perseverance, so they can send some seriously impressive exploration helicopters in the future. However, apart from reconnaissance and remote sensing it wouldn't be easy to give them many exploration tools, given the weight limits.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    IIRC NASA uploaded software before the first flight?
    As schlaugh discussed, this was the software update they chose that would complete startup 85% of the time. I gathered that from listening to comments they were making just before the first flight. They said they had a second fix they would have gone to if that didn’t work. They weren’t giving a lot of detail, but from their comments my impression was that the second option was more involved with higher risk, and would likely have required more testing, so the 85% startup with low complexity and low risk was seen as the best option.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    As schlaugh discussed, this was the software update they chose that would complete startup 85% of the time. I gathered that from listening to comments they were making just before the first flight. They said they had a second fix they would have gone to if that didn’t work. They weren’t giving a lot of detail, but from their comments my impression was that the second option was more involved with higher risk, and would likely have required more testing, so the 85% startup with low complexity and low risk was seen as the best option.
    It required a Windows update and a reboot.

"Ingenuity shifts from technology to operations demo after successful fourth flight"

https://spacenews.com/ingenuity-shif...fourth-flight/

With four flights now complete, NASA’s Ingenuity Mars helicopter will transition from being strictly a technology demonstration to a test of its ability to work in cooperation with the Perseverance rover.

Ingenuity performed its fourth flight April 30, staying aloft for 117 seconds. The helicopter flew to an altitude of 5 meters, then went 133 meters downrange and back before landing. The flight set records for duration in the air and distance traveled.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    It required a Windows update and a reboot.
    Windows would have decided to update itself during flight!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    "Ingenuity shifts from technology to operations demo after successful fourth flight"
    Such a bonus that it can shift from a demonstration to operational phase and assist the rover's science mission.

Mars Ingenuity helicopter mission extended by NASA

...In the helicopter’s new operational phase, it will fly up to a kilometre ahead of the rover, scouting for promising geological features and exploring areas that Perseverance cannot reach.
    It will also make digital elevation maps, helping scientists to better understand the terrain.

The hope is this will demonstrate how aerial exploration could help future missions.

The helicopter's fourth flight, which took place on Friday, begins the transition to the operational phase.
    The plan was a 266m-round trip and for the helicopter to take 60 black-and-white images and five colour images, and Nasa has confirmed the helicopter flew further and faster than ever before.
    This data will help the team to locate a new flight field, and on its next flight, in about a week's time, the helicopter will head there so the next stage of its mission can begin.

Yes. I really like what I read here. This is NASA at its best.

Ingenuity has completed its 5th flight, a one-way flight to over 120m further at which it reached a 10m altitude.

And JPL released a video of the flight complete with audio.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-...genuity-flight

That video with audio was from the previous round-trip flight. Super cool nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    That video with audio was from the previous round-trip flight. Super cool nonetheless.
    Well shoot; pretty soon I'm gonna need a flight schedule to keep it all straight, including departure and arrival info.

What are they going to name the new airfield?

Airfield B.

Yes.

This Youtube has onboard in-flight hires color video footage from the 4th flight towards Airfield B:

https://youtu.be/Dd0Ca0mbx_c?t=94

Ingenuity fifth flight lands at new airfield

Our helicopter is even more robust than we had hoped," Josh Ravich, Ingenuity mechanical engineering lead at JPL, wrote in a blog post yesterday (May 6).

"The power system that we fretted over for years is providing more than enough energy to keep our heaters going at night and to fly during the day," Ravich added. "The off-the-shelf components for our guidance and navigation systems are also doing great, as is our rotor system. You name it, and it’s doing just fine or better."

For those interested CBS 60 Minutes is doing a story on Perseverance and Ingenuity tonight at 7 pm EDT US.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    For those interested CBS 60 Minutes is doing a story on Perseverance and Ingenuity tonight at 7 pm EDT US.
    You can watch in on their website (scroll down - you do have to deal with ads).

I thought it was pretty well done. Interviews with a couple of the project managers. Most of the focus was on Ingenuity.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    You can watch in on their website (scroll down - you do have to deal with ads).

I thought it was pretty well done. Interviews with a couple of the project managers. Most of the focus was on Ingenuity.
    Thanks for the link. Enjoyed the mini program.

NASA finally let Perseverance stretch its arms https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...230718285.html

surviving an in flight anomaly - what happened on ingenuity’s sixth flight/

On the 91st Martian day, or sol, of NASA’s Mars 2020 Perseverance rover mission, the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter performed its sixth flight. The flight was designed to expand the flight envelope and demonstrate aerial-imaging capabilities by taking stereo images of a region of interest to the west. Ingenuity was commanded to climb to an altitude of 33 feet (10 meters) before translating 492 feet (150 meters) to the southwest at a ground speed of 9 mph (4 meters per second). At that point, it was to translate 49 feet (15 meters) to the south while taking images toward the west, then fly another 164 feet (50 meters) northeast and land.

Telemetry from Flight Six shows that the first 150-meter leg of the flight went off without a hitch. But toward the end of that leg, something happened: Ingenuity began adjusting its velocity and tilting back and forth in an oscillating pattern. This behavior persisted throughout the rest of the flight. Prior to landing safely, onboard sensors indicated the rotorcraft encountered roll and pitch excursions of more than 20 degrees, large control inputs, and spikes in power consumption.

...While we did not intentionally plan such a stressful flight, NASA now has flight data probing the outer reaches of the helicopter’s performance envelope. That data will be carefully analyzed in the time ahead, expanding our reservoir of knowledge about flying helicopters on Mars
    Sounds like NASA are learning a lot about the challenges of flying helicopters on Mars...

I wonder if it ran into a wind gust or flew close to a dust devil? Anyway, looks good for Ingenuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    I wonder if it ran into a wind gust or flew close to a dust devil? Anyway, looks good for Ingenuity.
    This You tube clip of the 6th flight is worth a look - especially on a big screen.

The following extract from the previous article seems to explain what happened.

...Flight Six anomaly
    Approximately 54 seconds into the flight, a glitch occurred in the pipeline of images being delivered by the navigation camera. This glitch caused a single image to be lost, but more importantly, it resulted in all later navigation images being delivered with inaccurate timestamps. From this point on, each time the navigation algorithm performed a correction based on a navigation image, it was operating on the basis of incorrect information about when the image was taken. The resulting inconsistencies significantly degraded the information used to fly the helicopter, leading to estimates being constantly “corrected” to account for phantom errors. Large oscillations ensued.

Surviving the anomaly
    Despite encountering this anomaly, Ingenuity was able to maintain flight and land safely on the surface within approximately 16 feet (5 meters) of the intended landing location. One reason it was able to do so is the considerable effort that has gone into ensuring that the helicopter’s flight control system has ample “stability margin”: We designed Ingenuity to tolerate significant errors without becoming unstable, including errors in timing. This built-in margin was not fully needed in Ingenuity’s previous flights, because the vehicle’s behavior was in-family with our expectations, but this margin came to the rescue in Flight Six....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLondon View Post
    This You tube clip of the 6th flight is worth a look - especially on a big screen.

The following extract from the previous article seems to explain what happened.
    Thanks for the update.

That reminds me how much I hated the class on control systems theory in college. To paraphrase a popular meme, “Oscillation, oscillation everywhere!”
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

One can visualize water flowing along the surface carrying rocks of various sizes along until the velocity is no longer capable of moving those rocks. The images also give flow stream marks on the surface also. Very neat place to study geology, now whether ancient life forms may be found is another issue altogether.

"Nasa's Perseverance rover's first 100 days in pictures"

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-57233756

Nasa's Perseverance rover is celebrating 100 Martian days (sols) since landing on Mars, where it is hunting for signs of past microbial life, and seeking to investigate the planet's geology and past climate.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    "Nasa's Perseverance rover's first 100 days in pictures"

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-57233756
    I have said it before, but one can visualize flowing water carrying these rocks until the velocity is not great enough. This is a great place to study geology on Mars.

"NASA's Mars helicopter Ingenuity set for 7th Red Planet flight on Sunday"

https://www.space.com/mars-helicopte...th-flight-plan

NASA's Mars helicopter Ingenuity will take to the air again this weekend, if all goes according to plan.

Ingenuity's handlers are prepping the 4-lb. (1.8 kilograms) chopper for its seventh Martian flight, which will take place no earlier than Sunday (June 6). The plan is to send Ingenuity to a new airfield, about 350 feet (105 meters) south of its current location on the floor of Jezero Crater.

"This will mark the second time the helicopter will land at an airfield that it did not survey from the air during a previous flight," NASA officials wrote in an update on Friday (June 4). "Instead, the Ingenuity team is relying on imagery collected by the HiRISE camera aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter that suggests this new base of operations is relatively flat and has few surface obstructions."
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"INGENUITY MARS HELICOPTER COMPLETES 7TH FLIGHT"

https://www.spaceflightinsider.com/m...es-7th-flight/

Ingenuity has successfully completed its seventh flight across the surface of Mars.

Fresh off of a recent in-flight anomaly, the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter lifted off of the Martian surface around noon local time on sol 107 (June 8, 2021) of the Perseverance rover mission. It then flew some 350 feet (about 106 meters) south of its liftoff spot before coming to rest at its new base of operations. The total flight time was 62.8 seconds.

According to NASA, this was the second time the helicopter landed at an airfield it did not survey from the air during a previous flight. For flight seven, scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory took advantage of imagery collected from the HiRISE camera aboard the space agency’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"Perseverance Rover Begins Its First Science Campaign on Mars"

https://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Pe..._Mars_999.html

On June 1, NASA's Perseverance Mars rover kicked off the science phase of its mission by leaving the "Octavia E. Butler" landing site. Until recently, the rover has been undergoing systems tests, or commissioning, and supporting the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter's month of flight tests.

During the first few weeks of this first science campaign, the mission team will drive to a low-lying scenic overlook from which the rover can survey some of the oldest geologic features in Jezero Crater, and they'll bring online the final capabilities of the rover's auto-navigation and sampling systems.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)