Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Mars 2020 Rover - "Perseverance"

But William Brazel won't be there to witness it.

I am extremely far from knowledgeable in this area but the extraction of oxygen from the Martian atmosphere does seem to be a pretty significant 'proof of concept' for future missions. "In another extraterrestrial first for NASA, on its latest mission, it has converted carbon dioxide from the Martian atmosphere into pure, breathable oxygen."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...-air/100088182

Getting ready for Ingenuity’s second flight.

22April 2021

This time they will test the colour camera on Ingenuity, it seems. We haven’t seen any pictures from that camera of the first flight (yet?)

ingenuity-mars-helicopter-second-flight-april-22

I just read in Aviation Week that Ingenuity will only be used for 30 days then abandoned so Perseverence can get on with her primary mission. That make good sense but makes me kind of sad!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

NASA’s Ingenuity logs second successful flight

Because the data and imagery indicate that the Mars Helicopter not only survived the second flight but also flew as anticipated, the Ingenuity team is considering how best to expand the profiles of its next flights to acquire additional aeronautical data from the first successful flight tests on another world.
    https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8928/nasa...essful-flight/

I couldn't find a video of the second flight, but web pages indicate it was a successful test tilting this time and moving horizontally.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    I couldn't find a video of the second flight, but web pages indicate it was a successful test tilting this time and moving horizontally.
    Hopefully videos will follow.

It takes time to top up Ingenuity’s batteries and send the data to the rover. And then to transmit to Earth.

Before they abandon her, I'd like to see them try an extended mission. A scouting mission ahead of Percy to scout interesting targets. What have they got to lose?

All data from the last flight, that's what they've got to lose. Nothing else.

I am extremely far from knowledgeable in this area but the extraction of oxygen from the Martian atmosphere does seem to be a pretty significant 'proof of concept' for future missions.
    Oxygen extraction obviously is a major thing for future missions. Now chemically speaking, we already knew how to do it. The interesting parameters are how much energy it cost and if the equipment has a relevant finite lifespan.

Perseverance/Ingenuity certainly are going for it! Just when you thought the rover missions were getting a bit repetitive, they come with these awesome new toys.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    All data from the last flight, that's what they've got to lose. Nothing else.

Oxygen extraction obviously is a major thing for future missions. Now chemically speaking, we already knew how to do it. The interesting parameters are how much energy it cost and if the equipment has a relevant finite lifespan.

Perseverance/Ingenuity certainly are going for it! Just when you thought the rover missions were getting a bit repetitive, they come with these awesome new toys.
    And I notice that Phil Plait has written a piece about this experiment in his latest post.

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Before they abandon her, I'd like to see them try an extended mission. A scouting mission ahead of Percy to scout interesting targets. What have they got to lose?
    I think it's probably more a question of opportunity costs. If project members spend time on further flights, that's less time they can spend on other things, unless you get more budget, and that might not be easy.
    As above, so below

Ingenuity has minimal sensors, basically just a couple of cameras with limited views and some hardware to help it fly and measure its health, and it has to communicate through Percy to us, tying up its resources. It really was just designed as a technology demonstrator.

By the way, I was amused to hear that Ingenuity is quite a bit “smarter” than big Perseverance. They didn’t into detail but I would guess that means it has a more complex CPU based on a smaller feature size. If that is true, the downside is that it would be more susceptible to bit flips from radiation exposure than the Perseverance hardware, which is well radiation hardened.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It doesn't surprise me that Ingenuity would blow Perseverance out of the water (on Mars!) in terms of computing power. In my business I have designed and built inspection robots, and the flying one is littered with sensors and processing for stability, whereas the driving or sailing ones are just basic motor speed controllers. Fun fact: my competitor copied JPL's rocker-bogie undercarriage for their inspection robot. So next time someone asks you what good spaceflight is to us, tell them inspection robots on earth.

First color photo from Ingenuity released. Hopefully more on the way.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/firs...-image-of-mars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ingenuity snaps epic of rover tracks, will attempt third flight on Sunday.

Data and images are expected to start coming down to Earth around 10:16 a.m. EDT (1416 GMT) Sunday.

https://www.space.com/mars-helicopte...for-3rd-flight

Apparently the third flight of the otherworldly whirlybird has been a success. It's my understanding that Ingenuity is only designed to last for 30 Martian days, and is expected to stop functioning around May 4. Then its final resting place will be in the Jezero Crater as NASA moves on to the main focus of its mission. Getting the Perseverance rover to study Mars for evidence of life.

Hopefully some distant future mission to Mars will recover it, dust it off and place it in a museum.

Remember, of course, that Spirit and Opportunity were only expected to last 90 Martian days. Understandable that they need to get on with the main mission, but a shame to just abandon it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

That's what I was thinking about it an earlier post. Send Ingenuity on one last flight to scout the first 100 meters or so of Precy's intended route. The pictures look good enough to spot anything interesting along the way.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like there would much to lose in such a recon mission if the existing plan is to simply discard it in place anyway. One can hope that the predilection for NASA equipment on Mars to exceed their designer's expectations holds.

Great video of the third Ingenuity flight taken by the rover.

mars-helicopter-ingenuity-third-flight-video

perserverance rover spotted in mars helicopter photo

...The Ingenuity team aims to pack two more flights into the helicopter's month-long flight window, which closes in early May. And there won't be an extension of that window; Perseverance, which has been documenting and supporting Ingenuity's work, needs to start focusing on its own life-hunting, sample-gathering mission soon.

Those final two hops will likely be even more complex and ambitious than Sunday's sortie, for the team wants to push the little robot's limits. Ingenuity project manager MiMi Aung, of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California, said earlier this month that she'd like the helicopter to travel about 2,000 feet (600 m) on its fifth and final flight, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLondon View Post
    I'm sure it's due to the graininess of the photo or the desert like environment, but Perseverance looks a bit like one of Frank Herbert's fictional spice harvesters working away on Arrakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post
    I'm sure it's due to the graininess of the photo or the desert like environment, but Perseverance looks a bit like one of Frank Herbert's fictional spice harvesters working away on Arrakis.

"Worm sign!" would be bad for the rover, but good for showing life on other planets.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Looks like it's ready to get these test flights over get down to exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post

Now that you mentioned it, I agree with you.

Fourth flight failed to take off; they'll try again soon.

Before the first flight, they found a problem with the startup procedure. They came up with a couple of programming fixes, the one the chose was more straightforward they said, but would lead to a successful startup 85% of the time. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is due to this launch falling in the other 15%.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Before the first flight, they found a problem with the startup procedure. They came up with a couple of programming fixes, the one the chose was more straightforward they said, but would lead to a successful startup 85% of the time. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is due to this launch falling in the other 15%.
    IIRC NASA uploaded software before the first flight?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    IIRC NASA uploaded software before the first flight?
    Even with the new software if something doesn't progress as planned then the countdown timer will...time out. So basically Ingenuity has only so long to tick its boxes, so to speak, else the timer closes things down.

It also looks like the JPL team is expanding into an operational phase for the little helicopter that could (from the JPL dated April 30):

“The Ingenuity technology demonstration has been a resounding success,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate. “Since Ingenuity remains in excellent health, we plan to use it to benefit future aerial platforms while prioritizing and moving forward with the Perseverance rover team’s near-term science goals.”

The operations demonstration will begin in about two weeks with the helicopter’s sixth flight. Until then, Ingenuity will be in a transitional phase that includes its fourth and fifth forays into Mars’ crimson skies. Flight four will send the rotorcraft about 436 feet (133 meters) south to collect aerial imagery of a potential new landing zone before returning to land at Wright Brothers Field, the name for the Martian airfield on which Ingenuity’s first flight took place. This 873-foot (266-meter) roundtrip effort would surpass the range, speed, and duration marks achieved on the third flight. Ingenuity was programmed to execute a fourth flight Friday, with a takeoff to take place at 10:46 a.m. EDT (7:46 a.m. PDT, 12:30 p.m. local Mars time) and first data to be returned at 1:39 p.m. EDT (10:39 a.m. PDT). The fifth flight would send Ingenuity on a one-way mission, landing at the new site. If Ingenuity remains healthy after those flights, the next phase can begin.

Change of Course
    Ingenuity’s transition from conducting a technology demonstration to an operations demonstration brings with it a new flight envelope. Along with those one-way flights, there will be more precision maneuvering, greater use of its aerial-observation capabilities, and more risk overall.

The change also means Ingenuity will require less support from the Perseverance rover team, which is looking ahead for targets to take rock and sediment samples in search of ancient microscopic life. On April 26 – the mission’s 66th sol, or Martian day – Perseverance drove 33 feet (10 meters) with the goal to identify targets.
    ETA: No word yet if the chopper succeeded in Flight No. 4.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2021-Apr-30 at 08:16 PM.

According to JPL's Twitter feed, less than a day after the failed 4th flight attempt, they were successful and will be transitioning to flight operations demos next.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org