Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Mars 2020 Rover - "Perseverance"

Now the view from Perseverance.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Over now. This was historic enough to get me to stay up to watch. The first aircraft flight on another planet.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Pfff typical. A historic helicopter flight and I can't watch it in person because I just happen to be out of planet.

For others who also happen to be on the wrong planet, there is a livestream (with 3h delay) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5WfiZoK6U
    Yes, well, I guess we can say “we were there at least as much as possible.” I get a kick that I was watching on my tablet (something that was science fiction until fairly recently) to see an event that was also science fiction until now.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I hadn’t heard this before. From:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56799755

Ingenuity even carries a small swatch of fabric from one of the wings of Flyer 1, the aircraft that made that historic flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, more than 117 years ago.

So a part of the first successful powered heavier than air aircraft has now flown as part of the first aircraft on another planet. More symbolic than substance, I know, but that still feels very special to me. I’m sure Orville and Wilbur never imagined part of their plane would fly to and on Mars.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Apr-19 at 12:26 PM.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The photo of the shadow is cool, but Iím surprised the blade shadows donít have some kind of motion artifact.

Of course, I know nothing about the camera.
    Still, maybe I should start my own CT

Well done Ingenuity team.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Congratulations to NASA and the team
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Looks like a great flight in the atmosphere.

With guys like Musk and the private sector and other national space groups one day hoping to copy or one day add to what JPL does, Mars will get busy. I dont imagine something big like a StarWarsStarTrek sized transport getting jammed in sideways blocking up the Valles Marineris traffic and needing new safety rules like what happened in the Suez but maybe it's going to be a busy planet some day. I wonder if one day someone will push for a 'Mars Treaty', I think some space disputes are addressed through the ITU, a group called the International Telecommunication Union? Your Private sector Mars Robo-Drone must always give right of way to Manned Martian aircraft, your Flying Mars Robot must stay away from the Martian antonymous national parks otherwise the drone might disturb the special bio-engineered microbes, plants and genetically engineered animals inside these Bio-Dome parks. I wonder how long, how many decades / century before flight rules, traffic rules and regulations about interactions between vehicles becomes a thing? Class G or Martian Robots obeying the laws of Class-Mars with Visual flight rules?
    I like some of the unique footage of our Earth-based helicopters, no idea about the ISO speeds, shooting interval or Frames per second but one of my favorite type of Aircraft footage back down on Earth is when Helicopter Rotor Blades are matched by Camera Shutter Speed frame rates, you get this effect where it looks like a 'magical' tv show God-hand is lifting the helicopter without rotor blades moving.

The Mars on board nav cam must have a very high shutter speed for showing shadow of Ingenuity in flight

'NASA / JPL MarsHelicopter made history today by being the first craft to achieve controlled, powered flight on a planet beyond Earth.'
    https://twitter.com/nasajpl/status/1384097677499981825

Raw images
    https://rkinnett.github.io/roverpics...filter=0672089

Energy performance Good Battery power good, solar panels providing enough power, Landing Success
    Length of Mission
    A 30-day period, with one or more test flights
    https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/#
    and ... this website even has a 'Video Game'

Looked like a good first test.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The photo of the shadow is cool, but I’m surprised the blade shadows don’t have some kind of motion artifact.

Of course, I know nothing about the camera.
    Still, maybe I should start my own CT

Well done Ingenuity team.
    Well the blade rotation is reported to be 40 revs per second. With diameter 1.2 m that is quite a fast tip speed 140 + m/s?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Launch window View Post
    'NASA / JPL MarsHelicopter made history today by being the first craft to achieve controlled, powered flight on a planet beyond Earth.'
    https://twitter.com/nasajpl/status/1384097677499981825

Raw images
    https://rkinnett.github.io/roverpics...filter=0672089

Energy performance Good Battery power good, solar panels providing enough power, Landing Success
    Length of Mission

https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/#
    and ... this website even has a 'Video Game'
    Hmmmm...maybe I'm missing it but there does not seem to be a section on the github site or on the JPL site for images taken from Ingenuity. Only from the rover. Maybe that will change in the next week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Hmmmm...maybe I'm missing it but there does not seem to be a section on the github site or on the JPL site for images taken from Ingenuity. Only from the rover. Maybe that will change in the next week or so.
    Ingenuity has two cameras onboard. A black-and-white camera that points down to the ground, which is used for navigation, and a high-resolution colour camera that looks out to the horizon.

A sample navigation image sent back to Earth revealed the helicopter's shadow on the floor of the crater as it came back in to land. Satellites will send home more pictures of the flight over the next day. There was only sufficient bandwidth in the orbiters' first overflight to return a short snatch of video from Perseverance, which was watching and snapping away from a distance of 65m. Longer sequences should become available in due course.
    Nasa successfully flies small helicopter on Mars https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56799755

Hey, actual "video" taken of the flight. I expect it's just a series of still images stitched together - but isn't that called a movie?

https://youtu.be/wMnOo2zcjXA

Hey, actual "video" taken of the flight. I expect it's just a series of still images stitched together - but isn't that called a movie?

https://youtu.be/wMnOo2zcjXA
    Nice! That's one short flight for a helicopter, one giant leap for mankind (or something like that).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Amazing lack of dust kick up compared to what I expected
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Amazing lack of dust kick up compared to what I expected
    I wonder if the previous test of just spinning up the rotors blew it away and there wasn't much new deposit yet.

Maybe plane tickets, space tourism to Moons and Planets will be a real thing,

https://twitter.com/NASAJPL/status/1384216417239633926

first flight (IGY-1), call sign (INGENUITY) and our backcountry airstrip in Jezero Crater, Mars (JZRO).

Ingenuity now has its own ICAO designator and a pilot logbook

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/statu...12773857464321

A part of Mars will forever be dedicated to the Wright brothers

Should have given it a tail number.

And an intern to paint it on the tail?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I wonder if the previous test of just spinning up the rotors blew it away and there wasn't much new deposit yet.
    One of the tweets said itís cleaner than it started, by shaking off a fair amount of dust.

I expected it would make its own cleaning events one way or another, what with the blades spinning and it moving air and moving itself through the air.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Maybe they could fly it over to Insight, which has had to go into hibernation due to dusty panels and needs a cleaning!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Maybe they could fly it over to Insight, which has had to go into hibernation due to dusty panels and needs a cleaning!
    My understanding is it is a combination of dusty solar panels and Mars winter, which by itself leads to low power levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Nice! That's one short flight for a helicopter, one giant leap for mankind (or something like that).
    Could it be "That's one short flight for a helicopter, one giant spin for NASA PR" ?

And an intern to paint it on the tail?
    Ya lost me....

As a senior employee, it is your duty to try to get the new intern to do an impossible /non existing task. Like getting a bucket of sparks to refill the spark plugs, or looking up the recommended octane level of a Tesla. Or, in this case, painting the tail number onto a tailless helicopter.

27. 2021-Apr-20, 08:07 PM

should have given it a tail number.
    ncc1701?

Maybe VS300M....M for Mars.

As a senior employee, it is your duty to try to get the new intern to do an impossible /non existing task. Like getting a bucket of sparks to refill the spark plugs, or looking up the recommended octane level of a Tesla. Or, in this case, painting the tail number onto a tailless helicopter.
    In my historical novels, midshipmen are frequently told to listen to the dogfish barking.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Well now, if Martians exist then now they have their first official UF*O

*Flying rather than just Falling.