Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mars 2020 Rover

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Now it has a seven feet hand as well.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7439

In this image, taken on June 21, 2019, engineers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, install the main robotic arm on the Mars 2020 rover. (A smaller arm to handle Mars samples will be installed inside the rover as well.) The main arm includes five electrical motors and five joints (known as the shoulder azimuth joint, shoulder elevation joint, elbow joint, wrist joint and turret joint). Measuring 7 feet (2.1 meters) long, the arm will allow the rover to work as a human geologist would: by holding and using science tools with its turret, which is essentially its "hand."

"You have to give a hand to our rover arm installation team," said Ryan van Schilifgaarde, a support engineer at JPL for Mars 2020 assembly. "They made an extremely intricate operation look easy. We're looking forward to more of the same when the arm will receive its turret in the next few weeks."
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Now it has a seven feet hand as well.
    THAT is a really big rover. How are they going to land it? Bouncy-ball? "Seven minutes of terror" routine?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    THAT is a really big rover. How are they going to land it? Bouncy-ball? "Seven minutes of terror" routine?
    It's based on Curiosity, so presumably the same sort of Sky-Crane.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It's based on Curiosity, so presumably the same sort of Sky-Crane.
    Terror, then. I'd be terrified for it.

"Mars 2020 Rover Gets a Super Instrument"

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Mar...ument_999.html

Engineers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, have installed the SuperCam Mast Unit onto the Mars 2020 rover. The instrument's camera, laser and spectrometers can identify the chemical and mineral makeup of targets as small as a pencil point from a distance of more than 20 feet (6 meters).

SuperCam is a next-generation version of the ChemCam instrument operating on NASA's Curiosity Mars rover. It has been developed jointly in the U.S., France and Spain. Once France delivered the last piece of flight hardware, the instrument was fully integrated on the Mars 2020 rover on June 25, 2019, in the Spacecraft Assembly Facility's High Bay 1 clean room at JPL.

"SuperCam has come a long way from being a bold and ambitious idea to an actual instrument," said Sylvestre Maurice, the SuperCam deputy principal investigator at the Institut de Recherche en Astrophysique et Planetologie in Toulouse, France. "While it still has a long way to go - all the way to Mars - this is a great day for not only SuperCam but the amazing consortium that put it together."

Mars 2020 scientists will use SuperCam to examine Martian rocks and soil, seeking organic compounds that could be related to past life on Mars.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Has anyone read where NASA named the rover? Other than calling it Rover 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Has anyone read where NASA named the rover? Other than calling it Rover 2020.
    No name has yet been give to the rover. We still have a year to launch, so hold your breath.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

I vote for "Snoopy" ....."Rover" is too generic and over used, and "Spot" makes it sound stationary ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    I vote for "Snoopy" ....."Rover" is too generic and over used, and "Spot" makes it sound stationary ;-)
    So no official name currently.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    So no official name currently.
    NASA's having a "Name the Rover" contest, as it has with the past three. You have to be a K-12 student to enter. The contest is being run through two partner organizations: Battelle Education, of Columbus, Ohio, and Future Engineers, of Burbank, California.
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-se...t-seeks-judges

My prediction: Destiny.

"You have to be a K-12 student to enter."

"Snoopy" may have a shot!

"Mars 2020 Rover almost Assembled"

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason...assembled.html

NASA last week said that major assembly of the Mars 2020 rover is complete, after technicians installed the carousel that holds the tools that will be used to collect samples for future return to Earth. The rover, which is being assembled and tested at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (you can watch live video from the Spacecraft Assembly Facility here), already has its wheels, mast, and science instruments installed. The helicopter drone has also been attached. Launch remains on track for the start of a window that lasts from 17 July to 5 August 2020.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"NASA's Mars Helicopter Attached to Mars 2020 Rover"

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/NAS...Rover_999.html

Engineers attached NASA's Mars Helicopter, which will be the first aircraft to fly on another planet, to the belly of the Mars 2020 rover in the High Bay 1 clean room at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

The twin-rotor, solar-powered helicopter was connected, along with the Mars Helicopter Delivery System, to a plate on the rover's belly that includes a cover to shield the helicopter from debris during entry, descent and landing. The helicopter will remain encapsulated after landing, deploying to the surface once a suitable area to conduct test flights is found at Jezero Crater, the rover's destination.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    NASA's having a "Name the Rover" contest, as it has with the past three. You have to be a K-12 student to enter. The contest is being run through two partner organizations: Battelle Education, of Columbus, Ohio, and Future Engineers, of Burbank, California.
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-se...t-seeks-judges

My prediction: Destiny.
    The contest has been announced.

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/NAS...Rover_999.html

Red rover, red rover, send a name for Mars 2020 right over! NASA is recruiting help from students nationwide to find a name for its next Mars rover mission.

Starting Tuesday, K-12 students in U.S. public, private and home schools can enter the Mars 2020 Name the Rover essay contest. One grand prize winner will name the rover and be invited to see the spacecraft launch in July 2020 from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

The Name the Rover contest is part of NASA's efforts to engage students in the STEM enterprise behind Mars exploration and inspire interest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

K-12. Hmmm. Fortunately the name "Boaty McBoatface" is already taken. But I wonder about "Barbie's Dream Rover"?
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.