Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Space Solar Power Systems (SSPS)

CNN carries an article on China's plan to develop a solar energy plant in space.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/03/a...ntl/index.html

China says it is working to develop a solar energy plant in space that could one day beam enough power back to Earth to light up an entire city.

If scientists can overcome the formidable technical challenges, the project would represent a monumental leap in combating the Earth's addiction to dirty power sources which worsen air pollution and global warming.

A space-based solar power station could also provide an alternative to the current generation of earthbound and relatively ineffective renewable energy sources.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

That is very good news.

CNBC on solar power produced from space.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/15/chin...-long-ago.html

John Mankins has spent his professional life working on novel ideas that could transform the way humans use technology in space, solar power among them. But Mankins’ interplanetary musings went beyond the way solar is already used to power satellites and the International Space Station. During a 25-year career at NASA and CalTech’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, he devised multiple concepts to extend the use of solar in space, among them a solar-powered interplanetary transport vehicle and a space-based power system.

It’s that second idea, in particular, that had Mankins’ attention while holding top research positions at NASA during the 1990s and 2000s, including overseeing the $800 million Exploration Systems Research and Technology group. Mankins — who now runs his own private aerospace firm, Artemis Innovation Management Solutions — had the task of figuring out whether there was a way to deliver electricity to the planet by beaming it from space. It’s an idea that could fundamentally reshape the idea of the utility business — and give control over it, on a global scale, to whichever world power gets there first.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Australia and the USA in a race with China. to be the 1st with Space Solar Power Systems.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-a...20-p52ta4.html

Australia faces the prospect of a space race with China – not to the moon, but to the benefits of solar power generated in orbit.

A US-Australia joint venture called Solar Space Technologies (SST) has drawn up an extensive plan to build an orbiting solar-power-generated satellite network that could be operational in eight years.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"China to build space-based solar power station by 2035"

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/201..._138599015.htm

China plans to accomplish a 200-tonne megawatt-level space-based solar power station by 2035, according to the China Academy of Space Technology (CAST).

The space-based solar power station would capture the sun's energy that never makes it to the planet, said Wang Li, a CAST research fellow with the program, when attending the sixth China-Russia Engineering Forum held last week in Xiamen, southeast China's Fujian Province.

The energy is converted to microwaves or lasers and then beamed wirelessly back to the Earth's surface for human consumption, Wang said.

"We hope to strengthen international cooperation and make scientific and technological breakthroughs so that humankind can achieve the dream of limitless clean energy at an early date," Wang said.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"U.S. Military Space Plane to Conduct Power-beaming Experiment"

https://www.leonarddavid.com/u-s-mil...ng-experiment/

The next X-37B robotic space plane is scheduled to launch on May 16 from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

One experiment onboard the craft will transform solar power into radio frequency microwave energy which could then be transmitted to the ground.

In an announcement released today, the Department of the Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office, in partnership with the U.S. Space Force, will hurl the Orbital Test Vehicle (OTV-6) into Earth orbit on a sixth mission.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

This might be a good way to get people back to work. If petroleum is so cheap now, that might allow for lower launch costs—I wonder if it is used for Mylar or something similar...

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    This might be a good way to get people back to work. If petroleum is so cheap now, that might allow for lower launch costs—I wonder if it is used for Mylar or something similar...
    Why would a dip in petro make for lower launch costs?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Why would a dip in petro make for lower launch costs?
    Well, launches take a lot of fuel. It could knock tens of thousands of dollars off the cost of a launch...

Especially for RP costs for Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Especially for RP costs for Falcon
    Propellant costs are about $200k total. If the provider let SpaceX have it for free, it'd mean around 0.4% reduction in launch price.

"New Call for Ideas: Space-based Solar Power"

https://www.leonarddavid.com/new-cal...d-solar-power/

The European Space Agency has opened a new call for ideas for space-based solar power – on the lookout for novel system concepts for applications on Earth, the Moon, or Mars.

“The potential of this concept to contribute to long-term sustainable energy is very high,” explains ESA Engineer Advenit Makaya, who is leading the hunt for ideas.

“Not only would it generate clean energy, it would also be very flexible – it could be integrated into power grids on Earth, but also used for exploration missions,” Makaya explains in a statement regarding the call for ideas.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"Aerospace Corp. calls for collaboration in space solar power"

https://spacenews.com/aerospace-spac...collaboration/

The Aerospace Corp. is calling for the U.S. government to work with industry and international partners to develop space solar power technologies.

The concept of space solar power “evolved over a very long time and is probably a couple of generations away from being hooked into the terrestrial power grid,” James Vedda, senior policy analyst in the Aerospace Corp. Center for Space Policy and Strategy, said during an Oct. 27 media briefing.

Still, the United States should recognize “that we’re not the only ones in the world who are looking at this” and “think about the kind of benefits that will fall to those who master the technology of wireless transmission of huge amounts of power over long distances,” Vedda said.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

SpaceMobile is facing some pushback from NASA, in that their com-says are quite large and might pose a threat to the Earth Observing A-Train sats.

Now, I think it best to look to nature for inspiration. Space Solar Sats are even larger than these near Orbital Antenna Farms, but instead of seeing them as a threat, I see them as a space island, with rideshares to link up with them and enjoy power too, much like how a large shark supports many remora. The SPS spirals out of LEO, SEP style, with follow ones taking over in LEO construction...or something to that effect. Ample power and big dishes being held in the commons.

A new player---
    CASSIOPeiA - which stands for Constant Aperture, Solid-State, Integrated, Orbital Phased Array
    https://www.internationalelectric.com/space-solar

"UK government commissions space solar power stations research"

https://www.solardaily.com/reports/U...earch_999.html

Now the UK in 2020 will explore whether this renewable technology could offer a resilient, safe and sustainable energy source.

The study, led by Frazer-Nash Consultancy, will consider the engineering and economics of such a system - whether it could deliver affordable energy for consumers, and the engineering and technology that would be required to build it. One of the biggest issues to overcome is assembling the massive satellites in orbit, which has not been done before at this scale.

Dr Graham Turnock, Chief Executive of the UK Space Agency, said: The Sun never sets in space, so a space solar power system could supply renewable energy to anywhere on the planet, day or night, rain or shine. It is an idea that has existed for decades, but has always felt decades away.

The UK is growing its status as a global player in space and we have bold plans to launch small satellites in the coming years. Space solar could be another string to our bow, and this study will help establish whether it is right for the UK.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)