Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Middle-aged kit building

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Nice. And I spy with my little eye what appear to be Saturn I and V in the background!
    And a Titan, Atlas and Redstone, I do believe.

Grant Hutchison

The patterns are available here:
    http://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/

The Falcon 9 stands about 27 in. (69cm.) tall.

The rockets in the background are the old AMT 1/200 rocket set (90's era reissue). It was given to me by a co-worker who found it, unopened and still in the plastic, in his shed. I spruced it up a bit with an aftermarket decal set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200703_221621.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	25358

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I;m scratch building a Byre house.

Name:	IMG_20200522_195941469.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	601.8 KB 
ID:	25372

I have a self imposed limitation of only using found materials and no power tools.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I;m scratch building a Byre house.

Name:	IMG_20200522_195941469.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	601.8 KB 
ID:	25372

I have a self imposed limitation of only using found materials and no power tools.
    You made me look that up! Thank you for today's learning experience.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I'm getting ready for the roof, but have to do the walls first. This is a dry fit.

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	25380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	25381

There is a story with these models. They are for a D&D campaign. The owner of this byre house is a former pirate. He gave up pirating when he found out he inherited land. This is why there are some boat-like details in this house. He really doesn't know what he is doing.

Anyway, back to the model.

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	25382

For the roof, I'll be using some natural cord. I think it's jute. I took a measurement of the roof space using an index card and then wrapped the cord around it. This is good for storage and the longer I leave it on the card, the more likely it is to stay in place. I was going to brush it to make it look more realistic, but brush I have isn't up to the task.

Anyway, all of this will go on a base cut from styrofoam. Since the base is 20" wide and across, I has to be good for more than one model. Sort of like a stage.

Name:	IMG_20200516_183128886.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	25383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200516_183347027.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	25384

This is the rough base with two different kinds of churches. The churches are based on a Normal church and a very small stave church. My dad built them out of Popsicle sticks about 45 years ago. They need some TLC. The roof of the taller stave church is made from cardboard and paper, while the Normal style church's roof is made from Popsicle sticks. I don't know if you can see the detail, but each tile is an individual piece. Each is uniquely distressed. I don't suggest this style of construction, I was like 3-4 when my dad did this one and I seem to recall a lot of cut fingers and swearing.

Back to the character's story. He is constructing this house out of found materials on the land, therefore much of the house is "wrong". He has the corners dangling, unsupported because he tried to match the stave holes underneath where he is building. Also, his wife is not pleased that the animals have the large rounded area at the end of the house. It's great for walking a cow for milking, but difficult to build a fireplace and chimney without some major engineering knowledge, which he lacks.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2020-Jul-17 at 10:26 PM.
    Solfe

Here is the base in a different configuration.

Name:	IMG_20200516_183208257.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	25385

These two houses are rather generic, neutrally themed structures. Could be old or really old. They are made of one piece of Styrofoam and some odd blocks of balsa I had on hand. The rooves are two different materials. One is merely a piece of index card while the other is wood with a bead like pattern. (Edit - The one with the index card roof does have a pattern on it. I put the wooden roof in some tea and then pressed the index card on to it. So, they match but aren't the same material.)

Name:	IMG_20200516_222254661.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	25386

This last images is of the painted base. It has no decoration as yet. The hobby shops just opened up and I still need to find some flock material. This is one thing I can't easily do with stuff on hand. I suppose I could use sand or something, but it doesn't look as good.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2020-Jul-17 at 10:28 PM.
    Solfe

I do have one other image that may be of interest on an astronomy website. To figure out where what colors should go where, I drew pencil marks which is simple and reasonable. Since I am doing a walk through of this build on my website and the pencil marks aren't visible, I took a series of pictures with various buildings on the platform. I was careful not to move too much while doing this. I then reduced the opacity of each image and stacked them like an astronomical image.

Now I can display visually how I knew where to paint paths and green space on the model.

Attachment 25387Attachment 25388

Name:	IMG_20200516_222254661.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	25389 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	area shot.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	25390

It's one of those weird things that make sense when your doing it yourself, but difficult to show via images.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2020-Jul-18 at 02:47 PM.
    Solfe

The last two attachments aren't working. But on the plus side, none of the other pictures are sideways, a feat I never manage lately.

Maybe now?
    Solfe

Yes, that's better!

DAS WERK has a kit of the Junkers EF 126. Italeri has a kit of the F-104 and a gladiator fight ring. Good kitbash fodder for sci-fi with the multiple nacelle options for the -126

The old FASA RPG starfighter game Renegade Legion had two designs called Spiculum and Ictus that must have inspired the La Sirena from PICARD—that and SFB Lyran designs.

A nice blog on model kits and fandom is held by John Kenneth Muir, and there is a book called “Flying Starships”
    —by a different Rom Moore.

Can you tell what it is yet?

This one's completed, but not quite detailed and finished to my usual level because it's 1/72 rather than 1/48.
    It's an interesting aircraft, and I had to do a lot of work converting the original very basic resin-and-vacuform kit to the version shown here. (The wing and nacelle markings are all decals I designed and printed myself.)

Name:	optica 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	25417

Name:	optica 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	25418

Name:	optica 3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	25419

Name:	optica 4.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	25420

Name:	optica 5.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	25421
    Anyone recognize the exact aircraft I've modelled?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Anyone recognize the exact aircraft I've modelled?
    Won't claim to have recognized it, but I can Google. (And I'll admit to being surprised to find it's a real aircraft - looks like something from science fiction!)

Nice model work, BTW.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Won't claim to have recognized it, but I can Google. (And I'll admit to being surprised to find it's a real aircraft - looks like something from science fiction!)

Nice model work, BTW.
    Ditto. I cheated and looked it up based on its features, so I won’t say the name I found. I really was wondering if it came from some science fiction show or illustration (I was thinking maybe Gerry Anderson shows - I never watched the puppet shows beyond a few minutes) but it is a real aircraft.

And yes, the model does look good.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Thanks, both.
    The aircraft type is certainly real, and one of my modern favourites. But the specific aircraft, with its exotic markings, does come from science fiction.

Name:	slipstream-ref-1-e1592772927225.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	25422

Grant Hutchison

Heh, okay, real but also a science fiction prop. You have an obvious clue to the movie name there. Looking it up, it is pretty obscure, with limited theater release and was never shown in North America at all. Also, it didn’t do much on home video tape. I found it on dailymotion and from the first few minutes I can see the plane chasing someone running over rocks in inappropriate clothes for hiking. I’m sure I’ve never seen it before and can’t recall ever hearing of it although there are a couple actors in it that I pay some attention to.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Nicely done!

I just watched the film’s trailer. Oh brother...

I've seen the aircraft type before but can't name it!

Cessna Skymaster?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...5367365%29.jpg

Optica, which I only know because that's how Grant named his picture files.

I did it slightly differently. I googled “bubble nose ducted fan plane” and an image of the plane came right up. I got the plane type from that. Then I noticed the name on Grant’s images.

The movie name is in another image: Slipstream. It did poorly and went into public domain. Gary Kurtz (who was involved in Star Wars) was put into bankruptcy from it. Here it is on dailymotion:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5y6k2h

You’ll notice some well known actors. It took me a moment to recognize Mark Hamill with his dyed hair and beard.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I actually thought people would recognize the Edgley Optica, but wondered if anyone would know the obscure movie it had starred in, which also featured a Bella Shadow.
    Slipstream is something of a cult classic, sadly only ever released in 4:3 pan-and-scan DVD format, and a rare Japanese laser disc with burned-in subtitles.
    It suffered primarily from a terrible script, which was difficult for even good actors to utter convincingly. Bob Peck made a decent fist of playing an eccentric android, mainly because his character was supposed to say weird stuff. It's Peck who is being chased across the Irish scenery while wearing a suit, in the opening sequence.
    But mainly, the film's small fame stems from the aircraft it used.

Grant Hutchison

Bob Peck made a decent fist of playing an eccentric android, mainly because his character was supposed to say weird stuff.
    Did he ever say, "Clever girl"?

The movie “Otherworld” had similar ultralight aircraft (microlight?). I remember a 1980’s cartoon with jet equipped microlights, back when tiny gas turbine engines were known mostly by cruise missile handlers.

I've started building the wooden model of the Pinta. It's a new experience for me as every other model has been plastic. New challenges too, mostly involving how to get the pieces to stay put while the glue dries. Some creative clamping is involved. The kit's instructions are lacking as well, particularly in photos. I imagine YouTube can help with that.

Name:	IMG_3727.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	25449

Name:	IMG_4684.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	25450

Name:	IMG_4721.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	25451

Nice. Are these individual deck planks?
    I've had a partly assembled plank-and-frame ship model in the stash for about twenty-five years. It stumbled to a halt when I realized I was going to need to taper the yards with a spokeshave. I have my doubts about my ability to produce a satisfactory result.

Grant Hutchison

Nice. Are these individual deck planks?
    I've had a partly assembled plank-and-frame ship model in the stash for about twenty-five years. It stumbled to a halt when I realized I was going to need to taper the yards with a spokeshave. I have my doubts about my ability to produce a satisfactory result.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, individual planks. You can see in one photo where I've glued planks to the forecastle deck but haven't yet trimmed them.

Two large Trek models will be available shortly:
    A “studio scale” Grissom (Lawson Designs/Lunar Models) and a 1/350 scale Klingon ship concept by John Eaves (Nice-n model designs)

Recently completed paper 1:24 scale Voyager spacecraft.

I've also added a few in-progress photos, and yes, that is a basketball that I was using as a form for the High Gain Antenna. The yellow material was some gift wrapping tissue that I had saved from my birthday. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200903_211042.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	25505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200903_211414.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	25506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200821_182932.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	25507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200819_221739.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	25508

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Recently completed paper 1:24 scale Voyager spacecraft.

I've also added a few in-progress photos, and yes, that is a basketball that I was using as a form for the High Gain Antenna. The yellow material was some gift wrapping tissue that I had saved from my birthday.
    Very cool.