Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Middle-aged kit building

I hate to side-step the thread, but does anyone have or know of a good modeling website? I am looking at various websites to see how people post images about models for my website. Theme doesn't matter, it's more about how things are displayed.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I hate to side-step the thread, but does anyone have or know of a good modeling website? I am looking at various websites to see how people post images about models for my website. Theme doesn't matter, it's more about how things are displayed.
    You'll find a wide variety of images, some very professional, some distinctly informal, at Britmodeller.
    For completed models, take a look at the various "Ready for inspection" sections; for build logs, "Work in Progress".

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Given my preferences, I sometimes check out Starship Modeler. Here is a link to their gallery search page:

https://www.starshipmodeler.com/gallery/gallery.cfm

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Given my preferences, I sometimes check out Starship Modeler. Here is a link to their gallery search page:

https://www.starshipmodeler.com/gallery/gallery.cfm
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    You'll find a wide variety of images, some very professional, some distinctly informal, at Britmodeller.
    For completed models, take a look at the various "Ready for inspection" sections; for build logs, "Work in Progress".

Grant Hutchison
    Oh, boy. This is going to be a time sink because I can see myself scanning through some terrific models while faking research on website design.

Thank you both, these are perfect links. They are exactly what I was looking for. Maybe better than what I would looking for.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Oh, boy. This is going to be a time sink because I can see myself scanning through some terrific models...
    Yep, I followed Grant's link and re-emerged an hour or so later. Haven't dared to click on Van Rijn's yet...

I am way behind on my spring blog series on Star Wars Models. I managed to botch my first build, but can fake it with a good camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0856.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	354.3 KB 
ID:	26047

This X-Wing is in 1:144 scale. These models by Bandai are marvelously well designed. They have the tiniest bits of plastic holding the parts to sprues, which makes super clean cuts when clipping them. One sweep from a file removes it all, if any plastic was actual left on the model.

The models are amazing well thought out. Every part is keyed so there is zero chance of sticking identically purposed parts in the wrong place. I forgot about this fact as I started the model. I tried to dry fit some engine pieces before gluing, then realized I couldn't get them apart. This isn't a snap tight model, but it could be. I fought a horrible battle trying to remove the engine parts so I could dot them with a little glue. As I assembled the second engine I almost dry fitted them, too. But I caught myself with a mighty cry: "NOOO!"

The kids came running. I guess that wasn't all in my head.

The two parts that gave me the most trouble were the wing fittings. The wings are hinged on a central pin and I couldn't figure out how to snap those parts together. They required a large amount of force on very tiny parts. The best idea I had for this operation was using a pencil sharpener.

Name:	IMG_0853.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	462.2 KB 
ID:	26048 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0852.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	26049

I think I'll remove the blade from the sharpener and add it to my tool kit.

The second part that gave me trouble is I think I mounted the wing assembly upside down in the body. They just feel wrong, they are springy and put some stress on the body when moved. When I open the wings, the the upper left wing presses into the body instead of properly opening. I think the hinge pin fits into a piece on the back assembly and I must have missed the post hole. I'll have to pay more attention to the next one I'll build. Thanks to some jaunty angles with the photos, you can't see it.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I too bought mine for soldering work, not so much modeling. It isn't excellent for either application but there it is.
    My problem when using it for soldering is: if the clamp doesn't bite through the insulation of the wire straight away, it tends to do so when the insulation softens due to the soldering heat. I'd need a tool like this one but with a bigger foot and toothless jaws.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

These two aircraft are actually the same airframe at the beginning and end of its life:

Name:	LN-ABH-D260-2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	491.3 KB 
ID:	26132
    It's a Junkers F.13W, construction number 650, which was part of the Junkers Spitsbergen Expedition of 1923, under the German registration D260. A lovely little passenger aircraft built from corrugated Duralumin, with an open cockpit--not ideal for a six-hour round trip to the edge of the Arctic pack ice.

Name:	D260-5.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	26133

Name:	D260-3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	296.1 KB 
ID:	26134

After that adventure, it knocked around Germany, Estonia and Norway for a decade, under various registrations, before winding up in the hands of the famous Norwegian aviatrix Gidsken Jakobsen, who operated it for sight-seeing tours out of Balestrand on the Sognefjord with the Norwegian registration LN-ABH. By this time it had probably been fitted with a new engine--it certainly lost the characteristic "rhino horn" exhaust, which was replace with a bank of apparently home-made exhausts on the starboard side of the cowling. The rudder was also replaced with a home-grown fabric-and-frame version, the factory-fitted side step was replaced with a ladder on the port float, and it had somehow managed to lose all the aerodynamic fairings on the float struts. So quite a lot of revision needed to the kit parts.

Name:	LN-ABH-1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	454.3 KB 
ID:	26135

Name:	LN-ABH-4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	26136
    I've depicted it as it took off on its final flight, when it lost its engine over Sognefjord in 1934. Literally, lost its engine--the engine shook itself loose and fell into the fjord. The pilot retrimmed the aircraft by persuading the front-seat passenger to crawl out on to the cowling, after which she managed to make a safe landing.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Lovely work Grant.

I wonder if that replacement rudder - larger than the original - was to provide more yaw authority due to the replacement engine being (possibly) more powerful, or just a general upgrade based on experience with the original design.

I'm not familiar with the early history of metal monoplanes, but that one must have been near the pinnacle of available technology for such an expedition at the time.

Aside... by contrast, there is a 1920 Curtiss Seagull at the Canadian Aviation Museum in Ottawa that was used in an aerial survey of the Parima River headwaters in Brazil. Whenever I visit that museum, I can admire that airplane for hours at a time. And last year I had the good fortune of seeing another variant of the design at a museum in New Zealand.

Very cool, Grant. I like how you've displayed them.

Thanks, both.
    Various shapes and sizes of rudders evolved during this aircraft's production history, generally getting bigger as time went by, and the transition from an L2 to an L5 engine in the later production models certainly brought more power. I suspect the replumbed exhausts reflect the original L2 being replaced with an L5, but I haven't tracked down a record of that. So, yes, I'd agree that the large home-brewed rudder reflected a need for a larger control surface combined with difficulty in obtaining a part from Junkers.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

How did you make (or buy) the water, Grant? Looks very convincing from the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    How did you make (or buy) the water, Grant? Looks very convincing from the photos.
    Certainly beyond my skill level to reproduce that appearance. The display bases come from a UK company called Coastal Kits--over the years I've acquired several that match the sort of aircraft I'm interested in modelling, and use them for photographs.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Thanks, both.
    Various shapes and sizes of rudders evolved during this aircraft's production history, generally getting bigger as time went by, and the transition from an L2 to an L5 engine in the later production models certainly brought more power. I suspect the replumbed exhausts reflect the original L2 being replaced with an L5, but I haven't tracked down a record of that. So, yes, I'd agree that the large home-brewed rudder reflected a need for a larger control surface combined with difficulty in obtaining a part from Junkers.

Grant Hutchison
    I am loosely reminded of a plane I saw in an airshow in USA, an Antonov An2, Russian from, I think, 1946, and the largest single prop passenger plane. That was maybe ten years ago and still in use. Obviously a later but not so different concept.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Progress has been slow on La Pinta in the past months but I've picked up the pace recently. Anchors, windlass, the two cannons are the latest items to populate the increasingly cluttered deck. Keeping the thing free of pet hair and dust is becoming an issue.

Name:	IMG_6527 smaller.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	440.5 KB 
ID:	26201

Name:	IMG_6528 smaller.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	413.2 KB 
ID:	26202

La Pinta continues to impress... The detail is awesome.

Yes, looking great.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Progress has been slow on La Pinta in the past months but I've picked up the pace recently. Anchors, windlass, the two cannons are the latest items to populate the increasingly cluttered deck. Keeping the thing free of pet hair and dust is becoming an issue.

Lovely.
    Regarding the dust issue, I assume there's going to be some sort of display case when it's finished. Can you get or make that now to place over it when not actually working on it?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Lovely.
    Regarding the dust issue, I assume there's going to be some sort of display case when it's finished. Can you get or make that now to place over it when not actually working on it?
    To be honest, I hadn't thought that far ahead. Given that I'm searching for a new woodworking project, that might be it.

To be honest, I hadn't thought that far ahead. Given that I'm searching for a new woodworking project, that might be it.
    If dust is a problem now, it will certainly remain so, and the model is only going to get harder to clean.
    Maybe find an old aquarium to set over it for now?

Latest work on La Pinta: a deck pump. The pump lever/handle and the three strengthening bands/rings came pre-cut but I had to fashion the other pieces out of raw stock. And the ship's deck becomes even more cluttered.

Name:	IMG_E6628.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	731.0 KB 
ID:	26227

Name:	IMG_E6629.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	552.6 KB 
ID:	26228

Name:	IMG_E6630.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	632.8 KB 
ID:	26229

Nice work. Does this all get a coat of varnish at some point?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Nice work. Does this all get a coat of varnish at some point?

Grant Hutchison
    I have been applying Danish oil on most parts as I go, but I leave some pieces bare. Just depends on what I think at the moment. For the pump, the cylinder has oil but not the other pieces.

Some people build their own jigs to level the wings of model aircraft and impose the correct dihedral. I keep thinking I should do that. But then again, if you have enough little pots in enough different sizes, there's always a way ...

Name:	walrus jig.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	26330

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Beautiful ship!

Some people build their own jigs to level the wings of model aircraft and impose the correct dihedral. I keep thinking I should do that. But then again, if you have enough little pots in enough different sizes, there's always a way ...
    Grant Hutchison
    Reminds me of casting about for the right coffee cup or empty jar to adjust the squish of my sandwich press.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Grant Hutchison
    Reminds me of my daisy-chain of clamps a little while back!

Grant Hutchison
    I know that this was not a quiz but I couldn't overcome my silly urge to identify the aircraft pictured. My first instinctive thought was of the Supermarine Walrus but dismissed that once I remembered that the Walrus was a biplane. So I spent time looking through the flying boats built by Supermarine, Shorts Bros, Saunders Roe, Consolidated Aircraft, Martin Aircraft etc with no success. I tried a general search on the aircraft registration and even for 'Single Engine, Monoplane Flying Boats' also without luck.

Eventually I found the UK Civil Aviation - UK Register of Civil Aircraft site and discovered that this registration number was indeed applied to a Walrus in 1946 when it was owned by a whaling company. The incomplete nature, I assume, as pictured of your model had thrown me off. A look at the history of that company shows that they operated 2 Walrus Aircraft as spotting aircraft around that time. The original of your model appears to have been transferred to Norwegian Registration in 1948.There is even a photo of the Walrus aircraft in the same livery as your model but with the Norwegian Registration LN-TAK which is probably/possibly the same aircraft. That aircraft is recorded as having crashed 'somewhere' in Norway in 1949. I am guessing that this plane might have at some time been flown, or owned, by Gidsken Jakobsen whose Fokker you have previously modelled but I can't find a link. Anyway I can now rest more comfortably having scratched 'my itch'.

The only flying boats I know are the Shin Meiwa and the Catalina. Which must be the least and best known flying boat. But hey, at least I know the difference with a float plane.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I know that this was not a quiz but I couldn't overcome my silly urge to identify the aircraft pictured. My first instinctive thought was of the Supermarine Walrus but dismissed that once I remembered that the Walrus was a biplane. So I spent time looking through the flying boats built by Supermarine, Shorts Bros, Saunders Roe, Consolidated Aircraft, Martin Aircraft etc with no success. I tried a general search on the aircraft registration and even for 'Single Engine, Monoplane Flying Boats' also without luck.

Eventually I found the UK Civil Aviation - UK Register of Civil Aircraft site and discovered that this registration number was indeed applied to a Walrus in 1946 when it was owned by a whaling company. The incomplete nature, I assume, as pictured of your model had thrown me off. A look at the history of that company shows that they operated 2 Walrus Aircraft as spotting aircraft around that time. The original of your model appears to have been transferred to Norwegian Registration in 1948.There is even a photo of the Walrus aircraft in the same livery as your model but with the Norwegian Registration LN-TAK which is probably/possibly the same aircraft. That aircraft is recorded as having crashed 'somewhere' in Norway in 1949. I am guessing that this plane might have at some time been flown, or owned, by Gidsken Jakobsen whose Fokker you have previously modelled but I can't find a link. Anyway I can now rest more comfortably having scratched 'my itch'.
    I hope you enjoyed your research. If otherwise, I apologize for not identifying the subject aircraft.
    It is indeed, going to be "Boojum", one of two Walruses carried by the S.S. Balaena during the 1946-47 southern whaling season.

Getting the wings on these aircraft is a little tricky without four hands. So I'm squaring away the upper wing, which had essentially no dihedral, and then will add the upper surface of the lower wings, using the three interplane struts on each side to support those parts in position while another round of epoxy dries. I've already threaded and secured the various bracing wires (in the form of nylon monofilament) through the lower surface of the upper wing, before assembly. They're all gathered together and held out of the way with yellow masking tape at present. Once I have the upper surface of the lower wing in position and secured, I'll thread the rigging through predrilled holes in that surface, tighten, and secure with cyanoacrylate. Then I'll add the lower surface of the lower wing, which already has the wing floats and associated rigging in place.
    So eventually all the attachment points for rigging should be concealed inside the assembled wings, which thankfully have a deep enough chord to easily accommodate several blobs of CA in their hollow interior.

That's how the theory goes, anyway. The trick is going to be avoiding skewing the wing assemblies by overtightening the rigging.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog