Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Middle-aged kit building

Some new super-booster kits will be available soon: (scroll down)
    http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=42919
    Sea Dragon "in action"
    http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=42694

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    That's Beautiful, another triumph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Wow, that's nice. I wasn't familiar with the bird but immediately thought "I bet that recovered Apollo 11". It did.
    Thanks.
    Yes, it's BuNo 152711, the SH-3D that recovered Apollos 8, 10, 11, 12 and 13. I've depicted her as she was at about 17:55 UTC 24 July 1969 - shortly after she'd landed on the deck of the USS Hornet, while being moved across the deck to the hangar-bay elevator. The crew had slapped a new pair of capsule decals on to the nose, added the "NOW HORNET PLUS THREE" placard to the starboard side of the cockpit and partially stowed the main rotor, but not folded the tail.
    There was a greeting to the Apollo 11 crew painted under the side door, but there's some doubt if they ever actually saw it, given the biocontainment gear they were wearing while being winched aboard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old66 8.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	24913

I put her together using a 1/48 Hasegawa SH-3H kit and a pair of short sponsons intended for a Canadian CH124. Sawed a chunk off the tailplane, removed various lumps and bumps, filled a side window, added a sea-anchor cable, and scratch-built a load of specific detail, including SARAH antennae, various cable runs, the restraint sling for the rotors, and the fore and aft cameras with their mounts:

Name:	aft cameras.jpg 
Size:	277.9 KB 
ID:	24914

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Some new super-booster kits will be available soon: (scroll down)
    http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=42919
    Sea Dragon "in action"
    http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=42694
    Have been a fan of the Sea Dragon for ages, collected some material on it. Love the film clip, really brings it to life.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Can you tell what it is yet?

Resin parts for the latest build, after trimming, filling, sanding and washing:

Name:	resin parts.jpg 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	24942

Grant Hutchison

I expect it is the 2001 Space Station V with the full and partial rings,the four spokes per ring and the distinctive hub with spacecraft port. Is there any kind of framing for the rest of the partial ring?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I expect it is the 2001 Space Station V with the full and partial rings,the four spokes per ring and the distinctive hub with spacecraft port. Is there any kind of framing for the rest of the partial ring?
    You're right, and oh yes there's a shed-load of photoetch longerons and stringers to be added.
    The challenge with this kit is going to be to get all the parts to align seamlessly, particularly since the four quadrants of the partially built ring are all different.

(I never liked the partial ring. Build it in free fall and then spin it up, surely?)

Grant Hutchison

To me, a space station should have several nested rings--One for Earth normal gravity, then one for Mars and one for the Moon. A spiral "arm" would have photos of asteroids on the 'wall" as you pass that level of gravity towards the hub. That might be a nice build for the future.

OK, now I don't know which way to turn...

20 bajillion years ago,after watching Flight of the Phoenix (1965 Jimmy Stewart) I came across an Italeri 1:72 scale Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar (for a whopping $34.95CDN) and immediately snatched it up.
    This was pre-internet, so I played the film on my VCR and took dozens of reference shots* of the film showing the layout of the plane, equipment, modifications and crew.

*35mm, chemically processed and printed. This was a long time ago.

I kept the model - and photos - packed away for when I would have time and break it out to produce a kit-bashed diorama in minute perfect detail of the Phoenix nearing completion (right down to the lassos they used to bodily haul the plane over the sand dune to its flat makeshift runway). It was going to be awesome.

Name:	flying boxcar.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	24949

Flash forward 18 bajillion years, to when I watch the beloved film again - only to discover to my absolute horror - that all this time I had the plane wrong.

It is not in-fact the gorgeous Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar, but the ugly big-nosed Fairchild C-82 Packet.

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	24950

This is not nit-picking, this is the main character of the story. it would have been less of a crime if I'd mistaken Jimmy Stewart for Tom Cruise.

I was heart-broken. I scrapped the whole plan, and was psyching myself up for donating the model (still in its shrink wrapping) to my local hobby shop.

Flash forward to the present - through the circuitous route of reading Hugh Laurie's IMDB Filmography, and discovering that he played "Ian" in the otherwise completely unmemorable Flight of the Phoenix (1984 Dennis Quaid) - I Googled some images of the remake.

And Lo!

There is my beloved C-119!

Name:	g6redkwttr8ks9xbcxt5.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	24951

It's back on! The game is once again afoot!

But is it? What do I do now?

Do I fire up the old plan to make the diorama - with my beloved C-119 - but in homage to a film that is unmemorable?
    Do I make the diorama as if it's from the original, and just sweep under the rug that it's the wrong plane?
    Dilemmas, dilemmas!
    :wrings hands:
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2020-Mar-08 at 06:29 AM.

Find a C-82 model?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Ooh, panic reigned in our house for a moment there.
    I was fairly sure I had not one but two Italeri C-119s in my stash for some sort of vaguely planned reconstruction of the original movie. Turns out I have one C-119 (for some reason now lost) and two Anigrand C-82s.

I must say I much prefer the appearance of the C-82 to the C-119 anyway. And it's closer in appearance to the "Skytruck" aircraft diagrams that appeared at the back the original novel.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I must say I much prefer the appearance of the C-82 to the C-119 anyway. And it's closer in appearance to the "Skytruck" aircraft diagrams that appeared at the back the original novel.

That's the fella.

Grant Hutchison

Are you aware that Captain Swoop, who used to post in this thread, now has a business making custom 3-D printed parts for modelers?

Are you aware that Captain Swoop, who used to post in this thread, now has a business making custom 3-D printed parts for modelers?
    I did not know that. Given that model kit building is now largely the preserve of middle-aged men with significant disposable income and no impulse control, that seems like a good market location.
    (I keep meaning to get into 3D printing. So many learning curves, so little time.)

Grant Hutchison

(I keep meaning to get into 3D printing. So many learning curves, so little time.)
    I'm doing it in stages.
    I use Shapeways to print my models.
    And I pay a private member to tweak my models.
    Mostly, I provide sketches.
    He charges me about 50 bucks for a round of tweaks.
    It's not cost-effective, but for the stuff I'm doing, penny-pinching is not a big factor.

Other than "The Flight of the Phoenix", what other movie- or novel-based model-building scenarios suggest themselves? I compiled a huge list of models and dioramas that could be based on the Mercury spacecraft. Will try to find it and upload it here if there is any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Other than "The Flight of the Phoenix", what other movie- or novel-based model-building scenarios suggest themselves? I compiled a huge list of models and dioramas that could be based on the Mercury spacecraft. Will try to find it and upload it here if there is any interest.
    Here you go. The "NO GO" unflown Mercury modeling document is 48 pages long in my GoogleDocs. Tell me if the link works and if you can download the document. No copyright, it is free to all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HSS.../view?ths=true

NOTES: Hmm, cannot print from this. I don't want the original document to be edited by others, though--they can do that once they download the thing. How do I manage GoogleDocs to let people download this?

Is there a way I can upload it to a post here, where it can be downloaded by anyone?
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Mar-14 at 03:28 PM.

Lightbulb

Here is the PDF of "NO GO: Unflown Mercury Missions". See if you like it.

REVISED to remove copyright notices. Accidentally used wrong version. Sorry!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No Go.pdf  
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Mar-15 at 02:35 PM. Reason: new pdf

For spacecraft, I also have photos, diagrams, pdfs, text, and references if you are doing early American spacecraft (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo), including unflown variants. I can post them here if you need.

Attached is a sample instruction text I created when making a 1:12 scale Mercury Beach Abort 1 spacecraft a couple years ago. (Cats peed on my stuff, had to put it away.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm1a.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	562.0 KB 
ID:	24960  
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Mar-14 at 05:09 PM.

Some nice models here
    https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/in...opic=42671.180

One idea to think about.
    I have often wondered in a payload free-OTRAG might be launched such that the tubes could open--lotus flower style for Solar Powersat ribs.

Thin sheets of steel might launch between the rods--showing that not all payloads need be perched on top.

The concept of **rocket-as-payload** might be a good model subject.

COVID-19 project: Jules Verne's Nautilus from Pegasus models. Most of the work is the lighting - assembling the circuit board and then positioning LEDs in key areas. The lighting kit was sold separately and I had to buy more LEDs (colored ones). After this, I have a wooden model of the Pinta to build, then a larger model of the USS Constitution.

(Note: the work area is not usually this cluttered. I gathered stuff in for the photo.)

Name:	Nautilus - smaller.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	24980

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    COVID-19 project: Jules Verne's Nautilus from Pegasus models.
    Oh, I wanted one of those. I particularly like the giant squid that doubles as a display stand.
    My main concern with my own lock-down modelling plans is that I will inevitably run out of some unanticipated but vital adhesive, paint, masking resource or solvent. (I've already had to revise my plans for a shadowing wash on the current kit, because I can't now lay my hands on high-concentration alcohol solvents during the current disinfectant panic.)

Grant Hutchison

COVID-19 project: Jules Verne's Nautilus from Pegasus models. Most of the work is the lighting - assembling the circuit board and then positioning LEDs in key areas. The lighting kit was sold separately and I had to buy more LEDs (colored ones).
    Have the model play organ music, and you've got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Have the model play organ music, and you've got it.
    That would be cool.

Oh, I wanted one of those. I particularly like the giant squid that doubles as a display stand.
    My main concern with my own lock-down modelling plans is that I will inevitably run out of some unanticipated but vital adhesive, paint, masking resource or solvent. (I've already had to revise my plans for a shadowing wash on the current kit, because I can't now lay my hands on high-concentration alcohol solvents during the current disinfectant panic.)

Grant Hutchison
    Painting the squid will be a challenge, for sure.

Do your liquor stores sell Everclear or the equivalent? It's 95% alcohol.

Painting the squid will be a challenge, for sure.

Do your liquor stores sell Everclear or the equivalent? It's 95% alcohol.
    I don't think I've ever seen Everclear (which for a long time I thought was some kind of window cleaner), but our local Polish licenced grocer has sold out of Spirytus vodka (190 proof). I don't know if people are drinking it or disinfecting doorknobs with it--either seems plausible at present.

Grant Hutchison

I don't think I've ever seen Everclear (which for a long time I thought was some kind of window cleaner), but our local Polish licenced grocer has sold out of Spirytus vodka (190 proof). I don't know if people are drinking it or disinfecting doorknobs with it--either seems plausible at present.

Grant Hutchison
    Sounds like that would be essentially the same thing. Around here, a local distiller has switched over to making hand sanitizer.

Sounds like that would be essentially the same thing. Around here, a local distiller has switched over to making hand sanitizer.
    Here, too.

Coming along.

Name:	incomplete rim 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	24995

Name:	incomplete rim 2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	24996
    There are 120 individual bits of photoetched steel in place on this half of the station so far, and more to come.

Grant Hutchison

Coming along.

Name:	incomplete rim 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	24995

Name:	incomplete rim 2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	24996
    There are 120 individual bits of photoetched steel in place on this half of the station so far, and more to come.

Grant Hutchison
    I can hear The Blue Danube playing in the background.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules