Thread: How does the moon be in two places at once

How does the moon be in two places at once

How can i see the moon in the daytime on my side of the planet in the western hemisphere....and yet in Asia and north africa they can see the moon right now too in the nighttime. I just thought of that when outside. I would appreciate some education on that matter.

To recap: The question is How can I see the moon in the daytime but on the other side of the planet they can see it as well

Quote Originally Posted by carson1812 View Post
    How can i see the moon in the daytime on my side of the planet in the western hemisphere....and yet in Asia and north africa they can see the moon right now too in the nighttime. I just thought of that when outside. I would appreciate some education on that matter.

To recap: The question is How can I see the moon in the daytime but on the other side of the planet they can see it as well
    Daylight and night locations can be far closer together in longitude than half the Earth's circumference. The Moon and anything else besides the Sun can be above the horizon in both places. The Moon is the only one that is easily visible in daylight.

Like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moon.png 
Views:	462 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	21310

the moon is in its first quarter, at the moment, and from this picture you may see that the people on the day side, and on the night side of the Earth, can see the half moon.

the phases of the moon are the same all around the world .any two places that can see the moon at the same time will see the same phase the first full moon of the 21st century occurred at 8:24 pm on 9 january 2001, universal time.

in melbourne this moment was 7:24 am on 10 january 2001, australian eastern summer time.

Thanks guys! I'm new here, and this was the very first thread I read when I got here. I've never even given this a thought, but here I go, A bit of new knowlege as soon as I started to read!

the simple answer to your question, it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by speach View Post
    the simple answer to your question, it isn't
    In two years of dormancy, either he's gotten his answer or he's dead.