Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sea stories in SPACE

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I got to be honest, I like flying and love all parts of air travel, but I did not look back at that airplane once we landed. I was afraid of what I wouldn't see.
    That the monster on the wing forgot his passport?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    That the monster on the wing forgot his passport?
    I was thinking that we weren't getting our luggage back because maybe it all fell out. But we did. It's the only time I haven't looked back longingly at an airplane after flying.

Speaking of the monster episode. One time I dropped my wife (girlfriend at the time) off at the airport and came home to see that episode was on. I felt a nervous afterwards, but then I got a call. The plane broke as soon as they pulled away from the terminal and pulled right back to offloaded everyone. Apparently, directly to the bar. My wife was sloshed. Apparently, whatever happened made a really loud noise. My wife and her sister received conflicting information. Either an engine broke or they backed into a luggage tram. In either case, they left 8 hours later on a different flight, with horrible headaches.
    Solfe

I'm positive there is a way to fit this into your story.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/t...022/index.html

Titanic II might launch in 2020. Get your tickets now!
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Futurama did Titanic in space... a couple of times, I think!

Excellent, thank you. The vessel in my story is delivering Space Marines, so it would be something like an LPD, but it's also humanity's first interstellar military mission so it has a carefully selected and vetted crew, mostly drawn from USN nuclear submariners. The Marines are likewise not chosen for good attendance and nice haircuts, they underwent a battery of psych evals for this mission.
    All the worry about using the title of Captain and you have Space 'Marines'?
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    All the worry about using the title of Captain and you have Space 'Marines'?
    They are not in command of the ship, they're the passengers. The Captain is the Captain.

ADDED: Marine ranks are different from Navy ranks, in the US. I'm basing my 'space Marines' on the USMC, but the Space "Navy" is based on a patchwork of other forces, and has developed its own system.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2018-Oct-27 at 11:17 PM.

Futurama did Titanic in space... a couple of times, I think!
    Aaah, but did it have Kylie Minogue as a guest star?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

They are not in command of the ship, they're the passengers. The Captain is the Captain.

ADDED: Marine ranks are different from Navy ranks, in the US. I'm basing my 'space Marines' on the USMC, but the Space "Navy" is based on a patchwork of other forces, and has developed its own system.
    It was using the name 'Marine' I was thinking about.

Why would they be 'marine' in space?
    All Moderation in Purple

It was using the name 'Marine' I was thinking about.

Why would they be 'marine' in space?
    Marines fight on land. Marines fight in aircraft. We don't call them Landines and Airines. Why would the name change in yet another environment? IMO it reflects the origins and tradition, not where they go.

I agree with calling them Marines, especially if you're calling your space force a navy. It does, however, bring up the question of whether the army still exists in your universe.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I agree with calling them Marines, especially if you're calling your space force a navy. It does, however, bring up the question of whether the army still exists in your universe.
    Planet would have armies to defend themselves from invasion by space marines or hostile space forces, or (more likely) in countries defending themselves from other countries.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Planet would have armies to defend themselves from invasion by space marines or hostile space forces, or (more likely) in countries defending themselves from other countries.
    True, but I was thinking more along the lines of how the US Army has operated in recent times (i.e., since the last time someone invaded the US). They are an expeditionary force transported to the theater of operations by the navy and air force. In Noclevername's story, will there be an army conducting similar operations, or will all land forces be Marines?

Marines fight on land. Marines fight in aircraft. We don't call them Landines and Airines. Why would the name change in yet another environment? IMO it reflects the origins and tradition, not where they go.
    First in, last out style of fighting?
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Yes, but are not involved in this story. The Army are largely ground forces, used on Earth. They would be shipped out (up) if there was a large scale planetary assault, or something comparable, to accomplish. This is more of a surgical insertion mission in a space structure.

I'm not calling my space force a Navy per se, they draw personnel and methods from several sources. But, any ship sea or space, out of contact with its command structure, will still need a Captain.

Why not just call them soldiers?
    All Moderation in Purple

Why not just call them soldiers?
    US Marines object to that term. Strongly.

ADDED: I don't know why. But it probably has something to do with interservice rivalry.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2018-Oct-30 at 11:38 PM.

US Marines object to that term. Strongly.

ADDED: I don't know why. But it probably has something to do with interservice rivalry.
    Not so much rivalry but an intense esprit de corps.

Tradition. I'm all in favor of "Marines" for this usage. Especially if their most important, if unwritten, mission is to protect the officers from mutinous sailors as in the navies of 220 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Tradition. I'm all in favor of "Marines" for this usage. Especially if their most important, if unwritten, mission is to protect the officers from mutinous sailors as in the navies of 220 years ago.
    The mutiny will happen when they run out of coffee, and are forced to rely on herbal tea from the hydroponics.

"Almost, but not quite, exactly unlike tea!"

The mention of hydroponics has, unfortunately, reminded me of our own LookingSkyward. One of the nicest men I ever met.