Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1187

Thread: Whatcha Eatin?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'm on a diet since my diabetes diagnosis three months ago. I think I hate you.

Also: You call that a griddle? This is a griddle!

(Link is an AvE video, may not be save for work or delicate minds.)
    He could use my brie warmer, I probably never use it.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    That’s pretty impressive but I’d hate to pay shipping on that hawg. The manufacturer of mine does make a https://steelmadeusa.com/collections/flat-top-grills/products/pro-series-steelmade-flat-top-grill-30-gas-or-electric-coil-range-stoves]pro model[/url] that’s twice as thick (3/8” or 9.5 mm) but I don’t wanna heft 60-ish pounds of steel before breakfast.
    I'd hate to pay for the propane to heat it! Must take an hour or so.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Filet from the new sous vide yesterday.

Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Do you sear after the Sous Vide, or before?

Filet from the new sous vide yesterday.

Oh yum! Haven’t tried my hand with sous vide yet but I’d like to.

Must.not.drool.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Oh yum! Haven’t tried my hand with sous vide yet but I’d like to.
    I've wanted to for quite some time and this was only my second time using the unit. I quite like it.

Do you sear after the Sous Vide, or before?
    I seared it afterward. I thought if I seared it first, the crust would lose its crustiness in the moist environment. One of the recipes that came with the unit calls for searing both before and after sous vide. I'll give that a try next time. I think searing beforehand will allow the filet to better keep it's shape when vacuum sealed. (I use an honest-to-goodness vacuum sealer...not the plastic hand pump that came with the unit.)
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Pancakes on the flat top this morning. Not just any pancakes, though. Alton Brown’s pancakes.

Sous vide hanger steak with chimichurri, Spanish rise, and pinto beans.

Sub from Subway after an afternoon of packing furniture from a house now a nap, the hall that they use for the auction is busy tomorrow so they won't need so a really long nap.

Dry roasted, unsalted peanuts for my afternoon snack. I'm trying to be good, I really am, but every time I'm in a store I'm SO tempted to grab a bag of chips. Crisps, to you in the UK and elsewhere.

Dry roasted, unsalted peanuts for my afternoon snack. I'm trying to be good, I really am, but every time I'm in a store I'm SO tempted to grab a bag of chips. Crisps, to you in the UK and elsewhere.
    They are normally called Potato Chips in Australia. Some imported product is labelled as Crisps. The 'hot' version is usually just called chips - except at places like McDonald's etc where they are called fries.

And to round it off - here the entrée is a starter dish not the main course and pop/soda is called soft drink
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Mar-04 at 04:52 AM.

Instant Pot, anyone?

This is probably the best spot to ask without starting a new thread - I was wondering if folks here have an Instant Pot or similar item and if they use it? From what I can see, their main use appears to be as a pressure cooker with a timer, and that mostly to speed up cooking. I’m mildly curious but I don’t have a lot of storage space in my kitchen for extra appliances, and my guess is that one would go mostly unused.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    This is probably the best spot to ask without starting a new thread - I was wondering if folks here have an Instant Pot or similar item and if they use it? From what I can see, their main use appears to be as a pressure cooker with a timer, and that mostly to speed up cooking. I’m mildly curious but I don’t have a lot of storage space in my kitchen for extra appliances, and my guess is that one would go mostly unused.
    We have one and I mostly use it to make chicken stock. Doing so saves a lot of time but I never use it as a slow cooker (we have one of those, too).

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    They are normally called Potato Chips in Australia. Some imported product is labelled as Crisps. The 'hot' version is usually just called chips - except at places like McDonald's etc where they are called fries.

And to round it off - here the entrée is a starter dish not the main course and pop/soda is called soft drink
    Some products here, notably Pringles, are called crisps. Because they don't meet the legal requirements to be called "potato chips".

Entree as the starter makes sense to me!

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Ha, for type two where GI, (glycemic Index ) is important, both peanuts and crisps (your chips) and even chips (fries) are better than biscuits, (cookies), and mashed or boiled potato because, I think, of the high fat content. The fat content seems to slow conversion to sugar and reduces intake because eating fat reduces appetite. But just eating cheese snacks is a better policy and gradually eliminates the carb habit. That has to be just cheese and not “cheese on everything”! My USA experience makes me rant about sugar in bread and so called fat free products bulked out with complex sugars. But I will restrain myself.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Indeed. I just can't have cookies/biscuits in the house.
    Except for two large sealed tins of Walker's Shortbreads which taunt me every time I go into the garage.

Some products here, notably Pringles, are called crisps. Because they don't meet the legal requirements to be called "potato chips".

Entree as the starter makes sense to me!
    Yep, Pringles is the main one that I think of being sold as 'crisps' in Oz.

And I forgot that Pop/Soda is also commonly referred to as 'cool drink' - especially in Western Australia.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Indeed. I just can't have cookies/biscuits in the house.
    Except for two large sealed tins of Walker's Shortbreads which taunt me every time I go into the garage.
    Oh, I sympathise. It was over indulgence in shortbread, sugary crumbles and the like that brought on type two for me. But fortunately for me, I like fish! Tinned sardines in olive oil are still cheap and sustainable, for now.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I haven't eaten in a restaurant in a year. But I did last night in my dreams, ordering a BLT. It came with a hamburger patty in it.

Right now having coffee and an orange, had few snack since I woke at 1 am, and hap nap since then, I have an hour before I have to go the auction and all ready.

Lunch today was a grilled cheese sandwich with egg and sautéed mushrooms.

PetersCreek, I saw your sous vide post and was wondering if you feel you use the sous vide often enough to justify it? I’ve looked at that, it is supposed to make for some great (tender) steak and beef, but the cook time can be very long, and in my case, I don’t eat beef nearly as much as I used too. I am curious though, and also wondering what you think it works best on.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Tonight we had some Confit Duck Legs which had been sitting in the fridge for a few months - bought partly cooked and sealed in a package. It only took 15 minutes in the oven plus a few minutes under the grill to prepare. They were very nice. I served them with roast potato and sweet potato plus some beans, cauli & broccoli.

Bagel with peanut butter, orange juice, water.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Bagel with peanut butter, orange juice, water.
    Bagel with peanut butter and coffee!
    I bought a jar of "natural" peanut butter because the regular brand has added sugar. It's the sort you have to stir because the oil separates. Yesterday I had a brainstorm and set the jar upside down for overnight. It worked!

Beef stew with a biscuit, and apple crisp afterwards. I was working at the local legion unloading a truck for the auction company and overheard that the legion had a take away dinner and there were a few leftover servings so I picked a couple.

Grilled a nice piece of salmon. Yum.

Lunch time: greenleaf salad with grilled chicken, quinoa, tomato, kalamata olives, and feta and Greek dressing.

Lunch time: greenleaf salad with grilled chicken, quinoa, tomato, kalamata olives, and feta and Greek dressing.
    Dinner time: Meat loaf from the Kroger deli, green beans from a can, semi-stale King's Hawiian roll. I think I hate you.