I think I hate you. Again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I think I hate you.
    I think I hate you.
    I think I hate you.
    Hangry much?

Breakfast this morning: a soft boiled egg, cheese, toast, bell pepper, and OJ.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0425.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	727.1 KB 
ID:	26030

My first real exposure to soft boiled eggs was in Germany and I've been a fan ever since. Every once in a while over the years since, I would go a-hunting for egg spoons. It seemed every store in Germany had all kinds of Eierlöffel but here, nada. We had to settle for demitasse spoons. Then along came Amazon. Better...if you wanted to buy 6 or 12 or more. It's just the two of us and we don't eat that many eggs.

I finally did find a set of two just recently, in a set with a neat egg topper...the ball & bell affair in the upper left. If you've ever seen a kinetic nut cracker in action, it works similarly. The bell has a somewhat sharp, turned-in edge to it. Place it over the egg, pull up on the spring-loaded ball, let it go, and whack! Sure beats the old tap-and-peel technique.

Name:	IMG_0426.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	630.5 KB 
ID:	26031
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2021-Apr-03 at 07:33 PM. Reason: sp
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Man, I'm embarrassed now. Been thinking about trying a soft-boiled egg myself.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

For dinner tonight it's baked Rock fish (Striped Bass) with spinach, carrots, and cole slaw (all veggies from the garden).

It's been a while since I've heard stripers referred to as rock fish. Rockfish are completely different up here but oh, so tasty.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Fish and chip sellers in the UK have an offering they call rock salmon. It has nothing to do with rocks or salmon, but is usually dogfish, a small shark, or other species of small shark. At least it is a fish while we still have fish.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

"Rockfish" is a local Chesapeake Bay name for the Striped Bass. A very meaty filet with few bones and doesn't taste "fishy". They were scarce until recently as Bay conservation measures helped boost their numbers to a more sustainable level. It was good, Prices for filets here range from $15-$24/lb.....the $24 being sold at Whole Foods of course.

eta, to stay on topic ......for breakfast we had waffles & maple syrup, topped by a fried egg, with bacon, coffee, and orange juice....the egg was from our one remaining hen.
    Last edited by Spacedude; 2021-Apr-04 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Fish and chip sellers in the UK have an offering they call rock salmon. It has nothing to do with rocks or salmon, but is usually dogfish, a small shark, or other species of small shark. At least it is a fish while we still have fish.
    I vaguely recall something about Puget Sound dogfish being exported to the UK for Fish & Chips. I'll have to look that up! It's not a prized species here. Lingcod, on the other hand, are ugly as sin but are prized for being good eating.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I vaguely recall something about Puget Sound dogfish being exported to the UK for Fish & Chips. I'll have to look that up! It's not a prized species here. Lingcod, on the other hand, are ugly as sin but are prized for being good eating.
    Never had that , I wonder if it will survive till I can visit USA again. Neither Ling nor cod, it says here. I know I should give up fish but I am guilty of looking at billions of other fish eaters who will not even recognise the problem.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

In about an hour a turkey dinner at the sisters house.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Peters Creek, I'm passing along a "Thank You" from Spacedudette for posting your pic above with the soft boiled egg de-sheller (for lack of a better description). She found it on amazon for about $7 and it's now on order.

Just a bowl of cereal with banana this morning, + coffee which has yet to fully kick in...

Your wife is most welcome. If it doesn’t come with instructions, their is a trick to using it. After dropping the ball, so to speak, the topper should be stuck to the egg. Rather than lifting it straight off, tilt it and the top should peel right off.

Coincidentally, I’m a similar breakfast: oatmeal and a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    [...]the soft boiled egg de-sheller (for lack of a better description).
    I just learned the "better description" thanks to Facebook and (I suspect) Google's surveillance. An ad from one of my favorite tool mongers showing such a device showed up in my feed just a few minutes ago: Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher. My Deutsch isn't good enough to parse that (although I did get the 'eggshell' part) but according to Wiktionary (et al​) it means, "eggshell predetermined breaking point causer" Gotta love those German compound words.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    "Rockfish" is a local Chesapeake Bay name for the Striped Bass.
    I've encountered the name in other regions, too, such as North Carolina. But up here, rockefishes are tasty critters of a different sort:

Name:	RockfishPoster.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	26037

The Wife had it for the first time during a trip to Homer a couple of years ago and now it's her choice for fish and chips or fish tacos.

Semi-homemade pastrami sandwich. Costco provided the corned beef, i applied the seasoning and smoke.

Wow - 40 Rockfish types up there! Just the one down here. Thx too for the instructions on the "soft boiled egg de-sheller" ....I'm sticking with that ;-)

Chinese takeout for lunch today - Spicy hot fish w/veggie fried rice, + wonton soup.

Brett, your picture of the egg breakfast reminded me of so many childhood Sunday breakfasts. Though I haven't touched or seen the Eierlöffel in over 40 years, I can recall the "action" they had because of the particular way the rounded inner and outer surfaces were separated by a short, somewhat sharpened edge that cleanly removed the egg from the shell. I can't imagine a more effective tool.

Mini naan, tzatziki, some sushi.

My Brother-in Law visited us for the first time since Christmas - he lives on a farm about 300 km east of here - so we went out for a Nyonya meal (Malaysian/Chinese intermarriage of both people and food) meal at a small Nyonya Café nearby.

Nyonya Beef Rendang with Lady's fingers (Okra) topped with sambal belacan and chili - both dishes very spicy. The pink drink is Bandung Syrup with Cinchau jelly.

Name:	Nyonyabeef.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	374.2 KB 
ID:	26064

Fish lemak - fish in a spicy coconut 'soup.

Name:	Nyonyafish.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	403.4 KB 
ID:	26065

For desert we had super sweet shaved ice favourites of S.E. Asia

Mine was Cendol - Finely shaved ice, grass jelly, kidney beans, Pandan flavoured starch jelly in coconut milk and Malacca palm sugar.

Name:	Chendol.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	26066

The others had Ice kacang - similar but with different syrups - Rose and caramel. Plus a lot bigger selections of nuts and seeds. The yellow on top is corn (Jagong)

Name:	Kachang.jpg 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	26067

The insides

Name:	Kachang1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	303.2 KB 
ID:	26068

For breakfast today I had poached eggs on toast, a mug of hot coffee, and some peanut butter.

Quote Originally Posted by duckinduck View Post
    For breakfast today I had poached eggs on toast, a mug of hot coffee, and some peanut butter.
    From one variety of Duck to another - welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    My Brother-in Law visited us for the first time since Christmas - he lives on a farm about 300 km east of here - so we went out for a Nyonya meal (Malaysian/Chinese intermarriage of both people and food) meal at a small Nyonya Café nearby.

Nyonya Beef Rendang with Lady's fingers (Okra) topped with sambal belacan and chili - both dishes very spicy. The pink drink is Bandung Syrup with Cinchau jelly.

Name:	Nyonyabeef.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	374.2 KB 
ID:	26064

Fish lemak - fish in a spicy coconut 'soup.

Name:	Nyonyafish.jpg 
Size:	403.4 KB 
ID:	26065

For desert we had super sweet shaved ice favourites of S.E. Asia

Mine was Cendol - Finely shaved ice, grass jelly, kidney beans, Pandan flavoured starch jelly in coconut milk and Malacca palm sugar.

Name:	Chendol.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	26066

The others had Ice kacang - similar but with different syrups - Rose and caramel. Plus a lot bigger selections of nuts and seeds. The yellow on top is corn (Jagong)

Name:	Kachang.jpg 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	26067

The insides

Name:	Kachang1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	303.2 KB 
ID:	26068
    Whaaaaya! The first course looks super spicy. Due to such jalapeno peppers (is this jalapenos?) erosion has been developed in the stomach

Whaaaaya! The first course looks super spicy. Due to such jalapeno peppers (is this jalapenos?) erosion has been developed in the stomach
    That's okra.
    Years ago, a co-worker of mine brought his soup from the cafeteria back to eat at his desk. He was from Arizona, and complained that despite the presence of jalapenos it wasn't spicy. The soup was gumbo, which is commonly made with okra as a thickener.

Sorry, for some reason I missed this post.

As Trebuchet correctly pointed out, the vegetable is Okra, called Lady's fingers in S.E Asia and in itself is fairly bland. However there was plenty of sliced chili mixed in so yes it was pretty hot. I don't know of your familiarity with Sambal Belacan, or Asian foods in general, but it is a spicy mixture of chili, shrimp paste, kalamansi lime, salt & sugar and can be quite fiery in its own right. This was also mixed in during the cooking process. So all round it was a hot but tasty dish. Not silly hot but off-putting if you are not familiar with this type of food. The rendang was also chili hot. Altogether the meal was not up to the level of a really hot vindaloo or the like but hot enough to require a lot of water to be drunk. The iced deserts cooled everything down nicely after the meal.

The food was spicy enough that I would be careful who I took to this place, definitely not my two brothers, but there are still plenty of our friends who would enjoy it.

Rice ,salmon, squash and salad.

Tonight I made "Beer Braised Bratwurst". Browned first and then braised in onions, dark beer, crushed Cumin (should have been Caraway but I didn't have any) and Mustard Seeds. Eaten on hot Irish Soda Bread with mustard.

Name:	Bread1.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	385.5 KB 
ID:	26107

Name:	Bread3.JPG 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	26108

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Tonight I made "Beer Braised Bratwurst". Browned first and then braised in onions, dark beer, crushed Cumin (should have been Caraway but I didn't have any) and Mustard Seeds. Eaten on hot Irish Soda Bread with mustard.

Name:	Bread1.JPG 
Size:	385.5 KB 
ID:	26107

Name:	Bread3.JPG 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	26108
    Interesting that you brown first and then braise. I usually do the opposite - braise first (in a very similar mix of beer and onions), and then a fast browning, usually on a grill.

I think this calls for some research.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Interesting that you brown first and then braise. I usually do the opposite - braise first (in a very similar mix of beer and onions), and then a fast browning, usually on a grill.

I think this calls for some research.
    I am certainly not an expert. I just followed the recipe to brown the bratwurst for 10 minutes in unsalted butter, remove them and soften the onions & spices etc . Then return the bratwurst to the onion mixture, add the beer and braise for 20 minutes on low heat. It tasted good anyway.

Ive always preferred to braise first, then sear. Braising renders some of the fat that might otherwise drip into the grill and cause flareups. Or reduce the fat in the skillet.

I was going to make a BLT for lunch, but discovered I had no T. So I'm having a BLSC. Bacon, Lettuce, Salsa, and Cheese. Because everything's better with cheese. Even bacon!