Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1253

Thread: Whatcha Eatin?

Wife: "Dinner was wonderful!"
    Me: "That's because I gave you the good parts of the steak."
    Nuts. Probably shouldn't have said that aloud. And the edible portion of my 2/3 was pretty dang good!
    Had it with sweet corn (from a can) and mashed potatoes (from a microwave tray.) Which weren't terrible, except:

Things that bug me: My diabetes education classes recommended cutting down on sodium, so yesterday I bought "no salt added" corn. This morning I looked at some recent lab test results for her. She's low on sodium. Oops.
    I did at least salt and pepper the steak before putting it on the griddle.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Just a bowl cereal for now before getting ready to unpack the truck for the auction company.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I made a big batch of split pea soup with ham (also carrots, onion and some garlic) a couple days ago. It turned out rather well, and I’ve mostly just been reheating it and eating it with some nice garlic sourdough bread. Actually, I made a bigger batch than I realized and will probably need to freeze some of it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I did a corned beef "blarney stone" with potatoes, onions, fresh garlic cloves chopped and a frozen bag of "california vegs" added at the end. It also turned out well and I may have to freeze the remainder also as it's quite a lot still!
    The timeless ends of formless starts....all ends in dark and begins in light...

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    I remember one afternoon in Key West, when My friends came back to the house with a refrigerator draw full of shrimp.
    We steamed them up , melted a little butter and produced some cold beer ( I had caught a very large octopus off Duval St)
    and traded it for two six packs of heiniken . Best trade I ever made It took a couple hours to go through that much shrimp------work-work-work ....

Dan
    Indeed, what happened with the octopus?? They are highly intelligent and I hope you didn't eat it! https://www.netflix.com/title/81045007
    The timeless ends of formless starts....all ends in dark and begins in light...

The Wife needed a cup of buttermilk for tonight's dinner and of course, the store had only quarts. So, I made pancakes and sausage on the flattop for breakfast this morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0509.jpeg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	26196

Next Sunday, I plan to use more of the buttermilk to make biscuits for breakfast sandwiches (fast food style...only better) with egg, sausage, and cheese. Hash browns, too, so the flattop will get another workout.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Breakfast: Half a bagel with cream cheese.
    Lunch: Turkey wrap with some shredded cheddar.
    Snack: Extra sharp white cheddar and some pepperoni.
    Dinner: Quesadilla.

Have I ever mentioned we both really like cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Have I ever mentioned we both really like cheese?
    Do NOT get me started on cheese.

Several years ago, one of our local chain grocers (Fred Meyer) put a gourmet cheese island in one of their stores that we affectionately call Cheese World. I’ve always loved cheese but this put us over the edge.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Homemade sushi made by oldest niece on her birthday and then some cake. Today reading a novel by Kathy Reichs that I got at an auction a while ago and trying to figure out the case of the missing cat.

Early in the pandemic I bought some emergency food that I don’t usually eat and have been working out how to use it. For instance, cans of corned beef. So a bit back I made corned beef and cabbage. That turns out to be easy to make and it isn’t bad, even mildly enjoyable, but not so good I want to eat it regularly. Tonight I made corned beef hash - same thing. It wasn’t bad, but not great and this turned out a bit drier than I liked (the recipe wasn’t clear on recommended stove temperature, so while it turned out okay, it could have been better). Still, it worked out well enough and I have more for later.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I’m always on the lookout for things to make salad more enjoyable, since I feel I should eat more. I’ve mentioned before that I’m quite sensitive to sour and bitter flavors. I probably fall into the “supertaster” classification. There are also certain cheeses (like blue cheese) that turn my stomach (to me, they taste like something that went bad). On the other hand, there are cheeses that I very much like. Anyway, I try different dressings knowing I won’t be able to handle most of them, but do occasionally find a winner. Recently I found a Greek style dressing that is wonderful - not too sour or strong, but with a great taste. I also found out about Kalamata olives when reading about greek salad. Cut up, they too really add to a salad. They have a stronger flavor than black olives, but not too strong (I avoid green olives).

I’ve been eating and enjoying a lot of salad lately, very unusual for me. I actually plan to slow down a bit so I don’t get tired of my new salad mix.

I felt like I was on a roll, so I decided to buy one bunch of kale to test it out. I knew it’s supposed to have a strong flavor, but some other things I’ve seen warnings about aren’t that bad to me, so I gave it a try. I ate a small piece, and at the start in wasn’t bad . . . then in about a second it kicked in. It wasn’t quite bad enough to spit out, but it was close. Awful, bitter. Terrible flavor.

I have read that it is improved by cooking with oil and salt so I’ll probably try that, but will never eat uncooked kale in a salad.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-May-31 at 12:50 AM.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Just had a fried egg on sourdough toast, which gave me the opportunity to try out one of two new non stick fry pans I received yesterday. PTFE non stick pans typically last 3–5 years with regular use and mine (All-Clad) were well past that (maybe double) so I started shopping for replacements. Now, I really do like my All-Clad cookware. The non-non stick pieces should last me the rest of my life or close to it. But given the more limited lifespan of non stick...even though I feel like I got my money's worth out of those old pans...I thought I might be able to pay a bit less for a good quality but eventually disposable product.

Of course, googleshopping resulted in related ads showing up in my Facebook feed. One of them was for Made·In, a cookware company that sells direct to consumers. Their non stick pans looked good, as did their prices, so I decided to give them a try. One often doesn't truly realize how dim an old light bulb has gotten over time, until it has been replaced with a new one. It's similar with non stick pans. I knew mine were worn but I didn't fully appreciate just how much, until I had the new one in hand. I'm well pleased so far. Good heft, comfortable handle, and a slick cooking surface with an attractive blue tint as a bonus.

I bought some Red Angel Pears for the first time yesterday. This was the first time we have eaten one of them and it was lovely. They have only been grown commercially in Australia in the last year and this is the first time I had seen one. They were apparently bred in Oregon, so not far from Trebuchet's & Gillianren's neck of the woods. I think that they may be the same as Red Anjou Pears with the name changed for local marketing purposes but am not 100% sure.

Not having a pork chop for dinner. Because what I took out of the freezer turned out to be chicken instead.

Last night I had a couple of bacon tomato sandwiches. (I don’t bother with lettuce, it doesn’t add to the flavor.) That’s rare for me, I don’t often buy bacon, and this wasn’t the best bacon either - too thin, too much fat. Also, the store bought tomatoes were too bland. Next year I hope to grow some at home. It’s one crop I think worth the trouble of a home garden, because home grown tomatoes can taste amazing. But for all the issues, it was nice to have bacon tomato sandwiches for a change.

Today, I had a little left over bacon and a cast iron pan with a little bacon grease, and decided to make an egg in a hole. I used a regional garlic sourdough bread, put a little salt and freshly ground pepper on it, and made a hole for the egg in the bread, added the egg and cooked it. Very simple and easy, but the egg, bread and bites of bacon were mild, but tasty together. The slightly browned sourdough with freshly ground pepper was tasty on its own. Probably not the healthiest for regular food, but then I only eat this rarely.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

For the holiday weekend, we worked our way up the periodic table of meats. Saturday was beef franks over hardwood lump charcoal. Sunday was hamburgers on the big grill. Today St. Louis spareribs with dry rub and cherrywood smoke…no sauce.

My wife is re-stocking the freezer for unexpected visitors today. Just under 100 homemade Curry Puffs. My daughter who was visiting has already eaten, and stolen, some.

(Edit: Just after I posted this and before the Curry Puffs had even cooled down some friends dropped by and ate some more of them. My wife may have to cook more!)

Name:	Puff1.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	297.7 KB 
ID:	26292

Name:	Puff.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	344.6 KB 
ID:	26293
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Jul-06 at 05:45 AM.

[QUOTE=PetersCreek;2542562]For the holiday weekend, we worked our way up the periodic table of meats. Saturday was beef franks over hardwood lump charcoal. Sunday was hamburgers on the big grill. Today St. Louis spareribs with dry rub and cherrywood smoke…no sauce.

I am very much not an expert on, or even a big fan of, spareribs but they do look lovely

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I am very much not an expert on, or even a big fan of, spareribs but they do look lovely
    Thanks! We normally have back (baby back) ribs. I havent made spare ribs in years but after this outing, they may become our cut of choice. These things were moist, flavorful, and had a "competition bite" that pulled cleanly from the bone. Being flatter than back ribs, I think they cooked more evenly. I smoked three racks, each halved to fit on the smoker grates. We ate the better part of two halves on Monday and I sealed/froze three halves. I broke down the remaining half plus a couple of cut ribs to make sandwiches yesterday, since we had leftover hamburger buns. It was a treat topped with a fried egg.

Name:	IMG_0604.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	633.0 KB 
ID:	26297

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Thanks! We normally have back (baby back) ribs. I havent made spare ribs in years but after this outing, they may become our cut of choice. These things were moist, flavorful, and had a "competition bite" that pulled cleanly from the bone. Being flatter than back ribs, I think they cooked more evenly. I smoked three racks, each halved to fit on the smoker grates. We ate the better part of two halves on Monday and I sealed/froze three halves. I broke down the remaining half plus a couple of cut ribs to make sandwiches yesterday, since we had leftover hamburger buns. It was a treat topped with a fried egg.

I think that that most of those I have seen seemed to be coated with some gooey, sticky unpleasant looking sauce and with a 'burnt' look. Yours look really tender - and with no sauce! (These sort of Ribs have not really been a 'thing' here until the last few years so I am not at all au fait with them and am probably just not familiar with the good types.)

I think that that most of those I have seen seemed to be coated with some gooey, sticky unpleasant looking sauce and with a 'burnt' look. Yours look really tender - and with no sauce! (These sort of Ribs have not really been a 'thing' here until the last few years so I am not at all au fait with them and am probably just not familiar with the good types.)

HAd a tomatoe sandwich and homade scones with brie and raspberry jam while watching a couple English mystery shows, goodnight.

Some cheap sushi and some water with ic tea flavoring after moving stuff for three hours including a snow blower with a bad wheel.

Tuna fish sandwich, potato salad and toss salad.

Not enough to maintain my weight, the past week or so. That's a good thing.

Some imitation crab meat on romaine leaves that were just picked, I did look at the stars for moment too.

The Wife made a batch of bread & butter pickles on Wednesday, so...

Name:	IMG_0658.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	658.0 KB 
ID:	26384

...a ham & cheese sammich for lunch today, loaded with the pickles and some of the onions from the brine. I sure wouldn't mind if she made a jar of the onions all by themselves, in addition to a jar of the pickles. Salt & vinegar potato chips/crisps on the side.

Went into sisters for a couple of tacos and see the niece before she heads back to school on Sunday, well to her apartment.

The Wife made a batch of bread & butter pickles on Wednesday, so...

Name:	IMG_0658.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	658.0 KB 
ID:	26384

...a ham & cheese sammich for lunch today, loaded with the pickles and some of the onions from the brine. I sure wouldn't mind if she made a jar of the onions all by themselves, in addition to a jar of the pickles. Salt & vinegar potato chips/crisps on the side.
    Ooh! Bread and Butter Pickles - yummy!

Whatcha Eatin?

The Wife happily picked about a cup of raspberries from the yard today. Good for her! Me, not so much. I wish I liked them.

She also picked a couple of juicy red berries to show me. I was pretty sure what they were but asked her to show me the plant all the same. Yep, watermelon berries.

They prefer shaded, moist locations which explains why they’ve grown around our house for years. Not in great numbers but a fair population. We’ve never done anything with them. They’re chock full of cream-colored seeds so eating them fresh off the plant is no big treat.

This time, though, I decide to pick a few (also about a cup) and made a syrup. The juice is very pale straight from the berry, so I put them in the saucier whole to pull some color from the skins. Along with them went a splash of water and some sugar.

Once the skins broke, I strained them through a fine sieve and returned the liquid to the pan to reduce. The result was about 1/4-cup of deep red, light bodied syrup that does indeed taste somewhat like watermelon, with some other flavor(s) I couldn’t pin down from the small sample. Maybe a touch of cassis with a hint of earthiness.

We’re out of vanilla ice cream.