Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The best way to move an asteroid.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    What keeps the asteroid segments whole?
    Though it would take some doing—bag them

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    But I'm kind of curious. Is there anything that is unavailable on Mars that you would find in an asteroid?
    Water. Even though water has been found on Mars, the more the better.
    I know that I know nothing, so I question everything. - Socrates/Descartes

Quote Originally Posted by DaCaptain View Post
    Water. Even though water has been found on Mars, the more the better.
    That depends on the asteroid. Ceres appears to have a lot of water, but, for instance, metallic asteroids aren’t likely to. And Mars has quite a bit of water itself.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    But I'm kind of curious. Is there anything that is unavailable on Mars that you would find in an asteroid?
    In terms of elements, no. You might find some elements in higher concentrations on some asteroids. There might be an argument for shipping certain precious metals at some point. Not so much in regards to asteroids, but for terraforming, vast amounts of nitrogen and perhaps other elements might need to be sent to Mars. For that, outer system objects would be a better source.

Asteroids might be useful to provide impacts to change terrain or to warm the surface in an area for a time. For instance, there is an idea to use a train of asteroids to make a very deep crater that would fill with atmosphere to the point it would have respectable pressure, allowing people to walk around just wearing oxygen masks, and the heat of impact would warm it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Though it would take some doing—bag them
    If you can bag up a small body, you can probably move it directly... without the added complexity of trying to cut it in half.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright