Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Juno at Jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    What a surprise it is cratered similar to the Moon.
    It even has a Tycho crater.

Excuse me for a moment while I scurry over to the ConspiracyTheory forum.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Well Juno imaged the "dark side", the side that faces Jupiter. I'm not sure that this has ever been accomplished before now.

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    "First images of Ganymede as Juno sailed by"
    Nope, that was 48 years ago (Pioneer 10), as I posted in the previous post in the thread. Not even the first by Juno, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganyme...n)#Exploration

Quote Originally Posted by glappkaeft View Post
    Nope, that was 48 years ago (Pioneer 10), as I posted in the previous post in the thread. Not even the first by Juno, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganyme...n)#Exploration
    I think it was meant that the first images from this flyby were produced.

How about Juno's first images of Ganymede?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    How about Juno's first images of Ganymede?
    see the first-images nasa's juno took as it sailed by ganymede

The first two images from NASA Juno’s June 7, 2021, flyby of Jupiter’s giant moon Ganymede have been received on Earth. The photos – one from the Jupiter orbiter’s JunoCam imager and the other from its Stellar Reference Unit star camera – show the surface in remarkable detail, including craters, clearly distinct dark and bright terrain, and long structural features possibly linked to tectonic faults.

...The spacecraft will send more images from its Ganymede flyby in the coming days, with JunoCam’s raw images being made available here.

The solar-powered spacecraft’s encounter with the Jovian moon is expected to yield insights into its composition, ionosphere, magnetosphere, and ice shell while also providing measurements of the radiation environment that will benefit future missions to the Jovian system.

"Five years on, Juno science reveals answers to zodiacal lights, Jovian auroras"

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2021...ovian-auroras/

Juno, NASA’s flagship mission to Jupiter, marks five years at the solar system’s largest planet today, having been in space for nearly 10 years since its launch. Juno quickly became one of NASA’s most scientifically important missions upon its arrival, with its Ultraviolet Spectrograph and Advanced Stellar Compass instruments used to reveal many unique scientific phenomena at Jupiter and throughout the solar system.

Recently, two teams published research highlighting the mystery of the solar system’s zodiacal light and the origins of Jupiter’s auroral dawn storms using the Juno’s instruments.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"Ride with Juno as it flies past Jupiter and Ganymede"

https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/R...ymede_999.html

On June 7, 2021, NASA's Juno spacecraft flew closer to Jupiter's ice-encrusted moon Ganymede than any spacecraft in more than two decades. Less than a day later, Juno made its 34th flyby of Jupiter, racing over its roiling atmosphere from pole to pole in less than three hours. Using the spacecraft's JunoCam imager, the mission team has put together this animation to provide a "starship captain" point of view of each flyby.

"The animation shows just how beautiful deep space exploration can be," said Scott Bolton, principal investigator for Juno from the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

I just saw that video in a UT article. It’s beautiful and reminds me of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It goes past Ganymede then shows Jupiter with lightning flashes. It really has a “you are there” feel.

Here is the direct video link. Watch it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CC7OJ7gFLvE

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser