Thread: What are Your Plans 1 Year from Today on 8/21/17 ?

What are Your Plans 1 Year from Today on 8/21/17 ?

For viewing the total solar eclipse of course! I hope to be on a beach somewhere on the coast of South Carolina. If all works out well this will be my 4th Total Solar Eclipse of which I've been very lucky to have clear skies of each one. It'll be a 6 hour drive from here but well worth it. So then, what ya doing on that special day in time?

Depends on the weather forecast. We live fairly close to the path that passes through that tiny bit of North Carolina. If the forecast looks good we'll just take a day trip and park somewhere.

If the forecast looks iffy we might hire an RV and go find clear skies. In fact i need to see if i can reserve one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to be somewhere in the path of the eclipse, but my parents don't want to plan that far in advance at the moment, so I'm not sure where.

Already booked a hotel room in Columbia, Mo. a year ago. Many in our club will arrive there the Friday before and keep an eye on the weather. Route 70 will be out the door and we will wake at the crack of dawn to head to the clearest sky area. Others in our club with be heading through Nebraska. Our club has had many meetings on it. We are staying away from Cheyenne, Wyoming and Carbondale, Illinois. Too crowded in both locations. Kentucky hotel rates are at $1000 per night and climbing higher in other spots.

When going and getting ready to use your equipment, be sure and rehearse the whole sequence and even record it with your own voice ahead of time and rehearse several times to get your timing down. You can look directly at it right at during totality and remove the cap to your telescope just as totality begins and replace it just as totality ends. Be sure to look west just before as the column of darkness heads toward you, taking on the appearance of a wedding gown. There will be marriage ceremonies in some areas of the country.

Don't waste your time with hydrogen alpha scopes.

I brought this up with my brother J. and his school friend Olivia (my other brother P.'s girlfriend) while hanging out the other night. We think Charleston is probably the cheapest city in the path to get to from New York and will probably have the most hotel rooms available as it's a big city. Mom signed off on it and agreed it was worth going to see. Unfortunately the student discount travel site I wanted to use to make our arrangements doesn't allow you to book flights a year in advance. Neither does Expedia.

Edit: It does let you book hotels, though, and there's a very nice three-star place for rates I think my grad stipend can cover. Let me consult with Mom and see what she says...
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2016-Aug-26 at 03:37 AM.

I'll be on the Path, taking the family out west, where the weather this time of year is usually very dry and cloudless. I'd definitely recommend booking accommodations now if you plan to be staying somewhere. When we made hotel reservations, it was clear that many places were already filling up.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Thanks for sharing your plans! This total solar eclipse may be the best shot for anyone in the US to see in their lifetime, and I'm certain that it will be my last one to experience. I recall in 1998 when I saw the last good nearby TSE that 2017 seemed so far off that I might not be here to see it, how times flys!
    Surely there are more of you here that are going to see this total solar eclipse too, it's so rare that one cuts through the center of the country from coast to coast like this one. Being within the partial phase isn't the best experience by a long shot, you just have to head for the path of totality to get the "total" effect, something you'll never forget!

I'll probably be working.

I live near the center of the eclipse path: 3518'58"N by 8348'31"W. While if I haven't managed to get a car by then, I can watch it from my own home; I hope to look for a place on the Cherohala Skyway that has a long range to the horizon, so I can see the edge of the shadow moving; it should be traveling at slightly less than a mile every 2 seconds, so if I can get a visibility of 20 miles, I should have a bit of time to observe the shadow coming toward me near the beginning of totality and moving away near the end of totality.

Though, if the weather forecast is for bad weather and I have gotten a car by then, I may be going hundreds of miles to chase the eclipse.

I'm still thinking about plans.

Our original idea was to do a long weekend in Cincinnati, and drive down to Hopkinsville, Kentucky for the actual event. Its about a 4 hour drive from Cincinnati to Hopkinsville, so not ideal, but doable. We've also thought of staying in Louisville, which is closer. There are still reasonably priced rooms in Louisville or Cincinnati, but the couple of rooms I saw on-line for Hopkinsville were $500!

I've also been thinking about heading over to the Smokies, but that idea is even more nebulous.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'm still thinking about plans.

Our original idea was to do a long weekend in Cincinnati, and drive down to Hopkinsville, Kentucky for the actual event. Its about a 4 hour drive from Cincinnati to Hopkinsville, so not ideal, but doable. We've also thought of staying in Louisville, which is closer. There are still reasonably priced rooms in Louisville or Cincinnati, but the couple of rooms I saw on-line for Hopkinsville were $500!

I've also been thinking about heading over to the Smokies, but that idea is even more nebulous.
    The only issue with that choice is the chances of clear skies. Wyoming is 60%, Nebraska is about 55%, Missouri is around 50% while east of the Mississippi drops to about 43% chance of a clear day. But, you take your chances and if luck runs your way then more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    The only issue with that choice is the chances of clear skies. Wyoming is 60%, Nebraska is about 55%, Missouri is around 50% while east of the Mississippi drops to about 43% chance of a clear day. But, you take your chances and if luck runs your way then more power to you.
    All understood (part of my debate between the Smokies and Kentucky). But I don't feel like driving/flying to Wyoming; not for 2 minutes of eclipse. I'm already questioning my sanity.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    All understood (part of my debate between the Smokies and Kentucky). But I don't feel like driving/flying to Wyoming; not for 2 minutes of eclipse. I'm already questioning my sanity.
    I think that no matter where you go, you should be watching the weather reports and be ready to jump into the car and drive toward clearer skies if the local weather isn't cooperating.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Two of my past solar eclipses were viewed via ocean cruise ship voyages. On both occasions the captain used satellite data to turn the ship into the best nearby clear patch within the path of totality. Taking pics from a ship can be a bit rocky but the eyeballs caught it all 100%. Thanks for continuing to share your various plans. SC is only a 6 hour drive for us, the weather on the other hand.......

Me & my family are going to making plan but still it is not confirmed or plan is pending.My wish is to move ahead take rest for few month from particular busy life.I remained to busy because of my work.So i wanted to get relief or want to go for long trip...where environment is cool or greenery should be high.In my opinion life's enjoyment is that when we plan something new or then we complete.I am new member here..can i join all of you?

Cool

For those of you who are still trying to decide where to view the Eclipse, why not consider joining Pamela and Fraser (and many other Astronomy Cast community members) in St. Louis? What better place to experience this magnificent occurrence than spending it with our two favorite Science Podcasters?

Complete information - including registration links - can be found here:

Solar Eclipse Escape 2017

We have also created a dedicated thread over on our Astronomy Cast forum, so feel free to join us there if you have any questions, are looking to share a room, or just want to stay on top of the event.

Nancy

I expect I'll be in Port Townsend, WA, watching it get pretty dark through the overcast layer. Then again, depending on the weather, that may be a good time to hop down to Portland and visit my cousin. Not far to Salem from there.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

What are Your Plans 1 Year from Today on 8/21/17 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I expect I'll be in Port Townsend, WA, watching it get pretty dark through the overcast layer. Then again, depending on the weather, that may be a good time to hop down to Portland and visit my cousin. Not far to Salem from there.
    Not that you would be alone, but maybe take a ride up Mt Hood or Rainier and climb above the clouds?

ETA: DOH! Not on the path of totality. Never mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2016-Sep-02 at 08:00 PM.

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump, 2017 is almost upon us and August will get here before we know it.
    My eclipse plans have taken a good turn and are now set in place. I have a friend that has a timeshare condo in Myrtle Beach, SC and they graciously reserved it for that week to share it with us. I was surprised that the condo was still available for that week but I suppose that 99% of the general public is still unaware of this upcoming rare event. On the morning of the 21st we'll travel south from MB for about 50 miles to be on the centerline of totality. At that location totality will last for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds at about 2:30 pm - A nice coincidence.
    Hope all of your plans are jelling out there across the land and the skies are clear for you on that special day!

Paducah, Kentucky, will be our CP. Friends from Korea, Western Australia, and someone called a Glaswegian (Tralmafadorian of some kind?) will be coming just for the Hell of it.

I have to get the hotel and flights but my brother and I are planning on Charleston.

Why there?

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    Why there?
    Nearest city to NY in the eclipse path so the fights will probably be cheap and a city that big won't run out of hotels.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2016-Dec-25 at 09:50 PM.

Paducah, KY, is right under the eclipse at the peak. Luckily, we live in St. Louis. Happily, we don't live in Paducah.

The ideal spot to be located the coming years for easy viewing of totality will be in a town called Carbondale, Illinois.
    "X" marks that spot when this years centerline and the next one in 2024 puts Carbondale in the central shadow crosshairs.
    The Site/map below shows each of these 2 eclipse paths and also all the future solar eclipses during this century. The one in 2099 passes right over my head.........stone

http://moonblink.info/File/Graphics/...aCrossings.gif
    Last edited by Spacedude; 2017-Jan-07 at 09:22 PM. Reason: made a grave error

Going to get some walking in. Planned trips include Old Colonial Williamsburg , maybe a side trip to Philadelphia,
    a Week in old Quebec City (The place is built on a hill, believe it !!! ) and teaching my grandchildren to play the ukulele . They are big fans now. 5 and 7 years old . And we plan to see the Patriots and the Red Sox both win
    world championships. This is " Our Year " .
    And may you each enjoy a Happy and prosperous new year .
    Danny and Celine

I will probably take my chances with the weather in Tennessee, as I have long-standing commitments which I do not wish to break for more than a day or so.