Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hacking Troubles

thanks, just wondering
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Hey folks

I just received an email stating that someone tried to sign up to CosmoQuest Chatroom (the forum I believe) using my email address and the usual "If this was you, simply click the following link and your account will be activated:" blah, blah, blah. Legit email.

Now unless this was generated by the bot as part of the fix & cleanup being done, or whether user data was actually compromised, I do not know. The only thing I DO know, is that the email address I've used and been able to keep clean for almost 20 years, may be compromised...I sure hope not.
    Are we sure that no member data was compromised?

Dave

Chappy,

The e-mail has nothing to do with the hack and is perfectly benign. There is a discussion here.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

OK, what about the "reset password" e-mail I just saw in my spam folder, with the link text that says it's from cosmoquest.org but when rolled-over says it's from sendgrid.net?

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    OK, what about the "reset password" e-mail I just saw in my spam folder, with the link text that says it's from cosmoquest.org but when rolled-over says it's from sendgrid.net?

CJSF
    Has anyone else had this e-mail? I'd normally ignore anything that comes into my spam folder, but I wanted to make sure this wasn't legit and of the earlier mentioned reboot of the Cosmoquest site (sans forum).

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post

CJSF
    Did you (try to) request a new password somewhere in the last month? If not you, someone else may have tried to get into your Cosmoquest account.

sendgrid.net is a service used by several large websites, AFAIK it facilitates sending large amounts of legit email, not spam. It was used by Cosmoquest before for sending out several types of email notifications, including reported posts to moderators. I had a message in my spambox allegedly from Cosmoquest, a gmail account, but also sent through sendgrid. This may have been the message cory said would be sent, here, but I'm not sure.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Hi guys im not sure what end this was, mine or yours but the login in did not automatically hide the user password with * * * , also the word 'password' in the login window appeared as real text.