Thread: dwarf planets - how about dwarf moons?

dwarf planets - how about dwarf moons?

hi

With the huge number of moons in the solar system, of which the majority are very, very small and indeed some only few km across, ought there not be a categorisation of moons and dwarf moons, just like we have planets and dwarf planets?

As it is now, are there any requirements before a rotating object can be categorised as a moon, in a similar way as with planets and dwarf planets?

Kind regards

Karsten

Good question!

IIRC, planets, dwarf planets, asteroids, and comaets orbit the Sun. Moons orbit the sun orbiterss.

However, I would entertain the idea of reclassifying Pluto-Charon as a pair of dwarf planets.

as far as I understand the mainstream theory, dwarf planets are called dwarves NOT because they are small, but because they were expected to lump together, but they didn't (yet): they haven't cleared their garden, that remains cluttered with bricks and metal scraps instead of having a nice garage like the others ...

if they had managed to become planet + moon, they could not be called dwarves anymore... thus we we have a paradox: Proto-earth + Theia were dwarf planets (although big ones), but present-day Earth + Moon is NOT...

Last edited by Barabino; 2019-Nov-06 at 10:20 AM.

too bad nobody of you told anything... I enjoyed the idea that proto-earth (lifeless) was a dwarf planet...