Thread: NatGeo "Mars" series

NatGeo "Mars" series

I just finished watching the "season finale" (oh cool, there's more?) of National Geographic's Mars series (Wikipedia, careful: spoilers), and was a little surprised there wasn't a topic on it here, yet.

Not a bad show, I think, if its intention is to sow the seed of interested in such a project in the general population. It zaps between "now" and a fictional Mars mission in 15, 20 years or so. Documentary-ish on the "now", more drama-ish on the future. 6 episodes, and at least each made me look forward to the next.

Some things would have had the Bad Astronomy crowd howling at Phil to do a write-up on it (leaning into a martian storm?) but the story was interesting enough to glance over such things. A nice mix of technical challenges, political and society issues, crew difficulties, etc. Interviews with Diamandis, Weir, Musk, and many others.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I haven't seen it yet, but it looks like Mat Kaplan (of The Planetary Society) might have some counterpoints to your brief review:

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Kaplan
    I get it. Space is hard. Mars is harder. But these sour pioneers donít behave much like the astronauts Iíve met. Itís also apparent that their training and their standard operating procedures are not up to NASA standards.
    His full review, where discusses the above and a bit more [spoilers]:
    http://www.planetary.org/blogs/mat-k...-martians.html

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but it looks like Mat Kaplan (of The Planetary Society) might have some counterpoints to your brief review:
    Yes, those are among the things I was able to ignore. The cheap powerLED lights on the spacehelmets that I use on my bicycle.. I too thought sometimes "no, they would never have picked him or her as astronaut or leader", or "NASA would never handle it that way", but then that's my view on it as a space enthousiast. Would the general audience see it the same way?

Would a more realistic portrayal of someone developing a psychological issue work in such a show (ie no warning, suddenly something unexpected)? There are other holes in the plot. There's even the obligatory love interest. I suppose to Kaplan that made it unenjoyable. To me, it didn't.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    It zaps between "now" and a fictional Mars mission in 15, 20 years or so. Documentary-ish on the "now", more drama-ish on the future. 6 episodes, and at least each made me look forward to the next.
    My wife and I watched only about the first 30 minutes of episode 1 and didn't like it. I found it rather boring and choppy; they'd leap over months of stuff, and then spend a lot of time on some little bit. I thought the acting was bad and lots of it just unbelievable.

My wife, who is not up on this stuff, got very confused by the zaps between now and the future, and kept asking about what was fiction and what was fact.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    My wife and I watched only about the first 30 minutes of episode 1 and didn't like it. I found it rather boring and choppy; they'd leap over months of stuff, and then spend a lot of time on some little bit. I thought the acting was bad and lots of it just unbelievable.

My wife, who is not up on this stuff, got very confused by the zaps between now and the future, and kept asking about what was fiction and what was fact.
    I guess it's better to be confused like that over a program like this than over one of those "[monsters] are real!" mockumentaries.

... My wife ... got very confused by the zaps between now and the future, and kept asking about what was fiction and what was fact.
    Do NOT let her watch Westworld.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Do NOT let her watch Westworld.
    No, she want to take our next vacation there.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

[...] kept asking about what was fiction and what was fact.
    I didn't expect that reaction. But then again, we're landing rocket boosters on their tail now... When I grew up, that only happened here.

Watched the final episode last night, it was a depressing view of a Mars colonization mission but probably pretty accurate in depiction, esp the human element. An Interesting ending, perhaps close to the mark?

I found the lack of humor to be a turn off. Generally, if you put together a bunch of people, a couple are going to have a dark sense of humor and they are going to knock heads with the idealist and the down to earth person, who prefer things to stay light.
    Solfe