Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Number of Launches in 2017

Number of Launches in 2017

This year promises to be a bumper year for rocket launches with 2 or 3 being launched every week.

Expect about 30 launches each from China, Russia and USA. 10 to 12 launches from ESA and India. Also 4 or 5 from Japan.

Link to summary of launches by country in 2016

Country Total Launches Failures Partial Failures
    United States 14 0 0
    Russia 8 0 0
    China 8 1 1
    ESA 8 0 0
    Japan 4 1 0
    India 4 0 0
    New Zealand 1 0 1
    TOTAL 47 2 2

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by selvaarchi; 2017-Aug-02 at 07:36 AM. Reason: adding new column-partial failures
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

China starts this year launch with the launch of a Long March 3B heavy-lift rocket carrying the TJS-2 experimental communications satellite

http://spaceflight101.com/long-march-3b-tjs-2-launch/

"China opened the reign of orbital space launches in 2017 on Thursday with the country’s Long March 3B heavy-lift rocket carrying the TJS-2 experimental communications satellite into a Geostationary Transfer Orbit.

Liftoff from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in China’s Sichuan province occurred at 15:18 UTC and Long March 3B was expected to fly to the south east across the Chinese mainland before heading out over the Pacific Ocean for the standard half-hour delivery into a highly elliptical Geostationary Transfer Orbit."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

Out of curiosity, what's your criterion for success or failure? For example, the recent Chinese launch that left the satellites in too low an orbit, from which they are being raised?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Out of curiosity, what's your criterion for success or failure? For example, the recent Chinese launch that left the satellites in too low an orbit, from which they are being raised?
    As the satellites were not lost it is considered as successful. Similar to the US military satellite that had to use its own power last year to reach the intended orbit.

I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    As the satellites were not lost it is considered as successful. Similar to the US military satellite that had to use its own power last year to reach the intended orbit.

Really? My understanding is that te lifetime of these satellites will be seriously limited. If this was the case with the American launch, it should also be deemed a failure. Whatever...

Perhaps a third category, partial failure, would be useful.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Perhaps a third category, partial failure, would be useful.
    That is a good idea. Will incorporate it in this years table

I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    That is a good idea. Will incorporate it in this years table

The table has been updated. Thanks Trebuchet and 7cscb

I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 2nd launch for this year is also from China.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017...ll-satellites/

"China orbited three small satellites using the Kuaizhou-1A (KZ-1A) launch vehicle from the Jiuquan Launch Center. The launch was originally scheduled for the last day of 2016. However, the launch was delayed without notice and without specific reasons."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

According to this article Florida is expecting to launch 30+ rockets in 2017. Add all the other launch sites in the USA and we are looking at a bumper year for rocket launches.

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/te...eral/96341178/

"The Space Coast could see as many as 32 launches by five different rockets in 2017, the vice commander of the Air Force's 45th Space Wing said Tuesday.

That would easily surpass the 23 launch operations supported in 2016, the Eastern Range's busiest year in two decades"

I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 3rd launch this year is from the USA. SpaceX successfully completed its launch and landing of the 1st stage on a barge.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017...m-next-launch/

"SpaceX returned its Falcon 9 rocket to flight Saturday with a mission that delivered ten Iridium NEXT communications satellites into low Earth orbit. Liftoff was on time at 09:54 local time (17:54 UTC) from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. SpaceX also successfully landed the first stage booster on a drone ship in the Pacific Ocean."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 4th launch this year is by Japan with the smallest rocket to attempt to launch a satellite. Unfortunately it ended in failure.

http://spaceflight101.com/ss-520-4-r...ental-mission/

"A beefed up sounding rocket aspiring to become the world’s smallest orbital launch vehicle raced into the morning skies over Southern Japan on Sunday to place a tiny satellite into orbit in a pathfinder mission for the development of a future small-satellite launch vehicle catered specifically to the deployment of NanoSatellites.

SS-520-4 lifted off from the Uchinoura Space Center in Japan’s Kagoshima prefecture at 8:33 a.m. local time on Sunday, 23:33 UTC on Saturday on a one-off demonstration mission, aiming to put the TRICOM-1 CubeSat into an elliptical orbit around Earth. The small rocket quickly vanished from view after an on-time blastoff with a thrust eclipsing the rocket’s initial mass by a factor of seven.

The rocket’s climb to orbit was expected to take seven and a half minutes, but – due to the vehicle’s relatively simple design – confirmation of a successful separation of the 3-Kilogram satellite was not available in real time. Engineers will be waiting for signals from the satellite after it makes its first lap around Earth to confirm the outcome of the launch."

Last edited by selvaarchi; 2017-Jan-15 at 02:25 AM.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 5th launch for this year is by USA.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/01/2...et-into-space/

" A new infrared reconnaissance satellite for one of the United States’ highest priority space programs — making early detection of enemy missile launches — was successfully delivered into orbit Friday by an Atlas 5 rocket.

The United Launch Alliance booster, flying its its basic two-stage varient, gracefully climbed from Complex 41 at 7:42 p.m. EST (0042 GMT) with the third Space Base Infrared System Geosynchronous Earth Orbit satellite, or SBIRS GEO Flight 3.

It capped the fastest-ever launch campaign for the Atlas 5 at just 13 days from the start of stacking until rollout. And, after a one-day delay by a sensor problem and aircraft wandering into restricted airspace, Friday’s seven-hour countdown progressed flawlessly throughout final testing and cryogenic fueling."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 6th launch this year is by Japan

http://spaceflightnow.com/2017/01/24...te-into-orbit/

"A Japanese H-2A rocket took off Tuesday with a communications satellite to relay messages and commands among the country’s defense forces, part of a $1.1 billion program to reduce Japan’s reliance on commercial and international providers to connect its military units.

The 174-foot-tall (53-meter) launcher blasted off at 0744 GMT (2:44 a.m. EST; 4:44 p.m. Japan Standard Time) Tuesday, flying on its 32nd mission since 2001, and its 11th launch with a defense-related payload for the Japanese government."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

This link is to a podcast. The first 12 minutes is looking at the history of rocket launches. From around 8+ minutes it looks at 2017.

https://www.acast.com/thejohnbatchel...ndtheblack.com

I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 7th launch for this year is by ESA.

http://spaceflight101.com/soyuz-vs16-launch-success/

"A Russian Soyuz rocket lit up the night over the edge of the Amazon on Friday, embarking on its first-ever Geostationary Transfer Orbit mission out of French Guiana, requiring the maximum possible performance of the Soyuz ST-B rocket and Fregat-MT upper stage.

Carrying the European-built Hispasat 36W-1 communications satellite, Soyuz departed the Guiana Space Center at 01:03:34 UTC on Saturday – taking a path straight to the East usually flown by the heavy-lift Ariane 5 on its Geostationary mission assignments. Thundering away from the coast, Soyuz fired its lower stages over the course of nine and a half minutes before the Fregat upper stage took over and conducted an exceptionally long engine burn of almost 18 minutes for a direct injection into a highly elliptical orbit."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

After over 2 weeks of no launches ESA has broken the silence with the 8th launch for the year.

http://spaceflight101.com/ariane-5-v...aunch-success/

"Europe’s Ariane 5 rocket leapt of its launch pad on the edge of the Amazon jungle at sunset on Tuesday, flying into the dark of night to lift a pair of commercial communications satellites into orbit for operators in Latin America and Indonesia. The 55-meter tall rocket thundered off from the French Guiana coast line at 21:39 UTC, just three minutes before the local sunset, embarking on a forty-minute mission to deliver over ten metric tons into a highly elliptical orbit."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

Soon after ESA launched their rocket, India launched their PSLV with 104 satellites. This is the 9th launch for the year.

http://spaceflight101.com/pslv-c37-launch-success/

"India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle set a new world record on Wednesday, lifting 104 satellites in one go and eclipsing the previous best mark of 37 satellites launched by a single launch vehicle set two years ago by a Russian-Ukrainian Dnepr rocket. Enshrouded under the rocket’s payload fairing was the mission’s main passenger, CartoSat-2D – a multi-channel Earth imaging satellite, accompanied by two Indian Microsatellites and a total of 101 CubeSats."

Last edited by selvaarchi; 2017-Feb-19 at 12:18 AM.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Since when have ESA been launching Soyuz rockets?

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Since when have ESA been launching Soyuz rockets?
    For some time now. They buy the rockets from the Russian's and launch from their base in South America.

I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 10th launch of the year is by SpaceX of the USA.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...s-historic-pad

"To paraphrase an age-old saying: If at first you don't succeed, well, dust off the historic launch pad and try another liftoff.

Not as catchy as the original, perhaps, but certainly fitting for SpaceX, which succeeded Sunday on its second launch attempt at NASA's Launch Complex 39A, at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The first attempt, scrubbed Saturday with just 13 seconds before liftoff, was foiled by concerns over an anomaly discovered in the rocket's steering system."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Fortunately the rocket sobered up and payload was delivered.

The 11th launch for the year is by Russia.

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/or...rogress-ms-05/

"Lifting off under clear, blue skies in Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, the Soyuz-U rocket completed its final launch by sending the Russian Progress MS-05 cargo spacecraft toward the International Space Station (ISS).

Liftoff took place at 12:58 a.m. EST (05:58 GMT) Feb. 22, 2017, from launch site 1/5, also known as “Gagarin’s Start,” the same launch pad that sent the first human, Yuri Gagarin, into space.

After a flawless nine-minute flight into space, Progress MS-05, also called Progress 66P, separated successfully from the second stage of the storied Soyuz-U. It will spend two days, about 34 orbits, catching up with the ISS. Docking with the Pirs module is expected at around 3:34 a.m. EST (08:34 GMT). "

I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 12th launch for the year is by USA

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017...79-vandenberg/

"For its second launch of the year, the Atlas V rocket marked its 70th mission to space on Wednesday as the veteran rocket lofts the National Reconnaissance Office’s NROL-79 spacecraft to Low Earth Orbit (LEO). Liftoff took place from SLC-3E at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, at 0950 PST (1750 UTC), the opening of a 40 minute launch window."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 13th launch this year and the 2nd launch for March is by China.

http://spaceflight101.com/china-cond...ozhe-2-rocket/

"China carried out a secretive space launch Thursday night, debuting a new solid-fueled launch vehicle known as Kaituozhe-2 launching an experimental satellite into orbit. Liftoff from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center took place at 23:53 UTC and orbital data shows the mission was successful in reaching a Low Earth Orbit.

Official Chinese media confirmed the success of the launch and identified the launch vehicle as KT-2 and the satellite as TK-1, although no photos or video of the launch or its preparations were available in the hours following the event."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 14th launch this year and the 3rd launch for March is by ESA.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017...ernicus-fleet/

"Arianespace’s small launcher, the Vega rocket, has lofted the Sentinel-2B Earth observation satellite on Monday night (local time). Sentinel-2B becomes the fifth satellite launched for Copernicus following its lift off from Europe’s Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana. The launch was on schedule at 01:49 UTC (Tuesday)."

Last edited by selvaarchi; 2017-Mar-07 at 03:28 AM.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 15th launch this year and the 4th launch of March is by USA.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017...e-echostar-23/

"SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket has conducted its third flight of the year on Thursday, following a scrub due to high winds on Tuesday. The launch carried a commercial communications satellite into geosynchronous transfer orbit. The launch took place from Launch Complex 39A at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 16th launch this year and the 5th launch for March is by Japan.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017...st-igs-launch/

Japan’s H-IIA rocket has lofted the next in a series of new-generation radar imaging satellite for the country’s military. The launch of latest IGS-5 spacecraft lifted off on schedule at 10:20 local time (01:20 UTC) on Friday, setting sail from the first pad of the Tanegashima Space Centre’s Yoshinobu Launch Complex.

The 17th launch this year and the 6th launch for March is by USA.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017...-wgs-9-launch/

"United Launch Alliance’s first Delta IV launch of 2017 carried a Wideband Global Satcom spacecraft (WGS-9) into orbit Saturday. The lift off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station occurred at 20:18 local time (00:18 UTC), following a slightly delay related to the Swing Arm system at the pad."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 18th launch this year and the 7th launch for March is by USA.

This month started off with a hope of 9 to 10 launches but as in the launch business, launches get delayed

But let us look at the bright side. SpaceX nailed the 1st launch of its reusable rocket. That will imply at least one to two launches a month from them. Now if we can only get the Russian and Chinese launches to speed up - a 100 launches this year is on.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017...flight-ses-10/

"SpaceX took a step into the future Thursday as it reused – for the first time – a recovered first stage of a previously-flown Falcon 9 rocket. Thursday’s mission, carrying the SES-10 communications satellite, lifted off from Pad 39A at Florida’s Kennedy Space Center at 18:27 local time (22:27 UTC) and once again landed the booster"

I am because we are
    (African saying)