Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The next Dr Who to be......a woman?!

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    Dr. Who with a hard R rating. Now that I would watch.
    Some people were expecting that with Peter Capaldi given one of his previous roles (Malcolm Tucker). I can't quote any of his best lines because I'd have to ban myself.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Apparently the Christmas episode has David Bradley playing the original Doctor*, Peter Capaldi playing the 12th Doctor, and Whittaker playing the 13th.

*For those of you who don't know, the original Doctor was played by William Hartnell, who died in 1975. Bradley played Hartnell in a 50th anniversary docudrama about the origins of the series, "An Adventure in Space and Time", and was very well-received in the role.
    Bradley also appeared with Whittaker (and David Tennant) in the first season of Broadchurch.

My vote for a female who would have been Neve Mcintosh, who plays Madam Vastra. It's not like Who fans are familiar with her face when she's not a lizard.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Also, I'm mildly disappointed (though not surprised) that they went with pretty. This recent trend of making the Doctor pretty may have extended his fandom but it certainly moved him away from his quirky, otherworldly beginnings. To be fair, it's a lot easier to be a quirky, unconventional-looking character actor and a man than it is to be those things and a woman (sorry, my dear Emily Watson). It seems from the teaser that they're going for a Cate Blanchett/Galadriel "otherworldly elf queen" theme, but the Doctor isn't Galadriel; he's Puck.
    In my opinion the trend of making the doctor "pretty" is only at 2, and some may even disagree with that. I did not find 9,10,or 11 attractive at all. Not in a sense that their looks distracted from the performance; they all had a sense of character, just not traditional good looks to me. I wouldn't look at them twice if I saw them on the street. I am fond of 12's looks, but I don't know how well they are received in the general population.

Thinking back all the way to #1, I don't think I would consider any of them good-looking. Perhaps the closest is #5. The only character that's made me look twice is Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman). But I was a fan of his long before Doctor Who.

I'm just sorry they didn't make her ginger.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    In my opinion the trend of making the doctor "pretty" is only at 2, and some may even disagree with that. I did not find 9,10,or 11 attractive at all. Not in a sense that their looks distracted from the performance; they all had a sense of character, just not traditional good looks to me. I wouldn't look at them twice if I saw them on the street. I am fond of 12's looks, but I don't know how well they are received in the general population.

Thinking back all the way to #1, I don't think I would consider any of them good-looking. Perhaps the closest is #5. The only character that's made me look twice is Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman). But I was a fan of his long before Doctor Who.
    I thought five was good looking. The same for 9 and 11. Jodie Whittaker seems Hollywood average good looks to me, like 10. Distinctive and memorable, but never odd or quirky.

I've only seen the promo material and the context is absent. It seems like she's wearing the last doctor's clothes, but she seems like she is more put together than most Doctors after a regeneration. Wouldn't that be funny: "This time, its all right."
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ginger would have been good, but hair dye, make-up, and cosmetic contacts would provide a good simulacrum.
    Last edited by swampyankee; 2017-Jul-28 at 10:54 AM.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

This whole ginger issue. Can't we just wait for a black actor before we start worrying about that?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Being cismale, I don't spend anything like as much time worrying about the male lead's appearance as that of the female leads.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I've only seen the promo material and the context is absent. It seems like she's wearing the last doctor's clothes, but she seems like she is more put together than most Doctors after a regeneration. Wouldn't that be funny: "This time, its all right."
    It occurred to me that the Doctor's attempt to stop his regeneration, with comments about not wanting to change anymore, was kind of a set-up for the female Who - this time, the change is going to be meaningful.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Being cismale, I don't spend anything like as much time worrying about the male lead's appearance as that of the female leads.
    Hetero is surely the issue here?

Honestly, I don't think she's that pretty. Not unattractive, but we're not exactly talking Audrey Hepburn, here. And I admit I think of her as young, because she's younger than I am, but she was born in 1982. That makes her thirty-five, the same as Matt Smith is now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post

Honestly, I don't think she's that pretty. Not unattractive, but we're not exactly talking Audrey Hepburn, here. And I admit I think of her as young, because she's younger than I am, but she was born in 1982. That makes her thirty-five, the same as Matt Smith is now.
    Surprisingly, I don't spend my cismale time generating lists of relative attractiveness of the Doctor's female companions, let alone the actors playing the Doctor. Of cours, Ms Whittaker, being female, is, to me, more attractive than the male actors

Overall, though, the interaction between the Doctor and their companion(s) is much more important to me than what they look like. I think the interaction between Catherine Tate and David Tennant was the best in the modern series (I don't access to the original series). I don't think the Peter Capaldi/Jenna Coleman chemistry ever worked.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    It occurred to me that the Doctor's attempt to stop his regeneration, with comments about not wanting to change anymore, was kind of a set-up for the female Who - this time, the change is going to be meaningful.
    That's a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post

I know sizeable contingents of female Doctor Who fans who find Peter Davison (#5), Paul McGann (#8), and David Tennant (#10) quite dishy. Heck, the main fan club for #8 called itself the Paul McGann Estrogen Brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post

I wouldn't call her stunning, but I would definitely say she's attractive. As for age, she'll be the fourth-youngest to take the role, behind Matt Smith, Peter Davison, and David Tennant (in that order) and just a little ahead of Paul McGann.

Bradley also appeared with Whittaker (and David Tennant) in the first season of Broadchurch.

My vote for a female who would have been Neve Mcintosh, who plays Madam Vastra. It's not like Who fans are familiar with her face when she's not a lizard.
    I've met her. She certainly could have pulled it off.

I've met her. She certainly could have pulled it off.
    You've just turned me Silurian green with envy!
    Mcntosh also played the sort-of love interest in the two Doc Martin prequel movies, thus making it to my surprisingly long list of actors who've appeared in both shows.

This whole ginger issue. Can't we just wait for a black actor before we start worrying about that?
    The Doctor is an alien. I am sure it wouldn't be hard to do both at the same time.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

But in the meantime, maybe just stop using that word "ginger"? I'm flinching each time I see it.
    It's increasingly understood as a term of abuse in the UK - not everyone objects to it, but a lot of people do.

Grant Hutchison

A Canada dry plant would be torture for some.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Someone's take on the regeneration scene. Warning to Grant: the g-word is used.

Someone's take on the regeneration scene. Warning to Grant: the g-word is used.
    Don't worry about me. My ginger days are behind me. But it's just not that funny in the UK.

Grant Hutchison

Now I feel like a cranberry and ginger ale.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/