Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The next Dr Who to be......a woman?!

I **might** become a fan if Hayden Christensen is the next Dr. Who.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I don't mean for this to sound snarky but...is he still acting?? Last movie I could find in which he appeared was some glurge about death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I don't mean for this to sound snarky but...is he still acting?? Last movie I could find in which he appeared was some glurge about death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Doesn't matter. He's gorgeous. He simply has to exist.

Still working. According to IMDb, he has a movie in post-production and is filming another.

I know.
    Amazing.

Grant Hutchison

And lo it has happened!

Looking forward to a new Doctor with the usual feelings of hopeful anticipation and trepidation, but now with a new perspective.

Wonder what the Tardis interior is going to be like, hmm..

It could be worse it could be Shia Lebeouf.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I, for one, welcome our new female President of the World. She will be the 11th Dr I have watched in their original run - obviously John Hurt's Dr never had one. I probably saw the 1st as well but can't remember.

It is always fun waiting to see what peculiarity of character and costume the new Dr will possess. I doubt that it will be a love of Bow Ties or a Fez. Or a waspish personality like Colin Bakers one.

Doesn't matter. He's gorgeous. He simply has to exist.
    I have a friend who's boyfriend is a dead ringer Hayden Christensen. The relationship didn't last, he was nice to look at but brain dead. That held the relationship together for far longer than it should have lasted. He was almost exactly like Cort from iCarly. He was dangerously dumb. One time she called me to fix her computer router and when I showed up, he hid in her bedroom because he thought I was her dad. Age difference is about right, but I had just had lunch and a class with them at school a few hours before. Just like we did every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Doh!
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have a friend who's boyfriend is a dead ringer Hayden Christensen. The relationship didn't last, he was nice to look at but brain dead. That held the relationship together for far longer than it should have lasted. He was almost exactly like Cort from iCarly. He was dangerously dumb. One time she called me to fix her computer router and when I showed up, he hid in her bedroom because he thought I was her dad. Age difference is about right, but I had just had lunch and a class with them at school a few hours before. Just like we did every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Doh!
    Gee whiz!

I think I will probably be unfriended on facebook this mornig because I fed a troll on a friends post.
    The person was just being sarcastic.
    Last edited by astrotimer; 2017-Jul-17 at 10:21 AM.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

OK; I have some thoughts about this, but my thoughts have yet to be fully unpacked, so a little Socratic midwifery might be necessary.

First off, this was the right way to go. Not for any reasons of progress or social justice, though those are perfectly fine, but because the variations on the theme of "British white dude" have been pretty much exhausted by now, particularly by the new Who. Giving the Doctor an alternative perspective was a good way to extend the viability of the show.

Once again however, it seems that the surest road to Doctorhood in the new series is to be a pal of the showrunner. Which is a shame.

Also, I'm mildly disappointed (though not surprised) that they went with pretty. This recent trend of making the Doctor pretty may have extended his fandom but it certainly moved him away from his quirky, otherworldly beginnings. To be fair, it's a lot easier to be a quirky, unconventional-looking character actor and a man than it is to be those things and a woman (sorry, my dear Emily Watson). It seems from the teaser that they're going for a Cate Blanchett/Galadriel "otherworldly elf queen" theme, but the Doctor isn't Galadriel; he's Puck.

One thing to note is the expression on her face; she's acting like she's never seen the TARDIS before, which on the one hand is a bit odd, but it could be what they are going for- she hasn't seen the TARDIS before, at least not with those eyes.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Ah, the actor who single-handedly stopped me watching Broadchurch. I'm not a great fan of misery as entertainment, and she portrayed misery very well indeed. Unwatchably good acting, as far as I'm concerned.

Grant Hutchison
    I watched the first series of Broadchurch but the second didn't appeal.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    One thing to note is the expression on her face; she's acting like she's never seen the TARDIS before, which on the one hand is a bit odd, but it could be what they are going for- she hasn't seen the TARDIS before, at least not with those eyes.
    She made the key appear out of thin air, then the TARDIS. And it didn't go "Doot-doot!" like it did for Ten. I would say she was wearing a dignified look of satisfaction.

"Still" acting implied he ever acted in the first place.

I have friends who are very happy about this; I think she's one of the two people we discussed as possibilities Saturday night, in fact, though not the one we were watching clips of. (That was a black guy, though not Perpetual Candidate Idris Elba.) I've also already seen the inevitable sexist "satire," including an article claiming production is delayed because the actress can't park the TARDIS.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'd have liked to see Helen Mirren in the role.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    I'd like to see Helen Mirren in any role.

The two things I have to say to those who hate the idea of the Doctor being a woman, and equate it with Armageddon
    1. (staying within the realm of sf logic) The Doctor is an alien. They may well be nothing but a humanoid biological construct created by the TARDIS. The regenerations were male because humans were too sexist for a female-appearing Doctor to be effective.
    2. (moving into the wider, it's a show, folks realm) The Doctor is a character in a TV show which is expected to generate revenue for the BBC. They have determined that losing the eyes of the few misogynistic twits zealots for social injustice casual fans will be more than overcome other people watching because of the hype.

The writing on Doctor Who has been spotty, but this is not unique to Capaldi's tenure, and has nothing to do with who's carrying the Sonic Screwdriver. Pretty consistently, I've found at least one episode in each season to be unworthy of the time it takes to watch it.

I'm just very happy the didn't bring Matt Smith back.
    Last edited by swampyankee; 2017-Jul-18 at 12:31 AM.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I'm just very happy the didn't bring Matt Smith back.
    Matt Smith is calling! Just kidding, they used up that trick already.

I don't see why this is such a big deal. Exactly how many times did the Doctor jet off leaving his companions in the lurch so that they effectively had to be him? Sure the Doctor is THE main character, but many times the point is that anyone could be him or at least stand for him.

An even more interesting take is that he, the Doctor, pulled a page from Romana's book and tried to copy someone he looked up to or admired. Botched it of course because he's the Doctor, but landed as a woman. Exactly how many other choices did he have when it came to role models? And how many of those were men? Not many at all. Time for something new.

Doctor Who is like the opposite of Star Wars. You have dozens of great female characters and a just an handful of ok male characters.

Well if you know people who are having problems with the change maybe they can seek out this helpline.
    https://youtu.be/PMSIe6WfXYE
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I watched the first series of Broadchurch but the second didn't appeal.
    Watch the third series. It gets the franchise back on track.

Personally, and as a Dr Who fan from the Patrick Troughton days (and every incarnation since - all hail Tom Baker!), I think this is an excellent choice of an outstanding actress. I am very much looking forward to seeing what she can bring to the role.

Isn't "Timelord" now sexist? Shouldn't it be "Timelady"?

It seems the originators of the series back in the 60s intended this all along. The clue is right there in the TARDIS: Taking A Radical Departure in Sexuality!

really happy with this choice! hope that it'll be a game changer. I was thoroughly disappointed with the last episodes of the previous season, so do look forward to the new Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Dr. Who with a hard R rating. Now that I would watch.

Hi, I created a new thread What is in a Uniform or Title in Off Topic Babbling. My derail can go over there. Sorry... sorry. I dragged us down a non-Doctor Who thread.

Please carry on with actual Dr. Who and Jodie Whittaker news and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Hi, I created a new thread What is in a Uniform or Title in Off Topic Babbling. My derail can go over there. Sorry... sorry. I dragged us down a non-Doctor Who thread.

Please carry on with actual Dr. Who and Jodie Whittaker news and thoughts.
    I have moved those posts to the new thread
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Since I started watching the show (Capaldi's first episode), the Master has regenerated from a man to a woman, the General on Gallifrey regenerated from a man to a woman, and now the Doctor is regenerating from a man to a woman.

Never happened before in the series (AFAIK), but apparently it's the only way it happens now.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    In which case she would get on well with "Deep Space 9"s Jazdia Dax character!
    A companion might refer to the Doctor as Tiresias, instead of "old man"

Lots of good story ideas.

The Sisterhood of Karn still rejects her as too male--Jeffrry Tambor jealous of the ease of transition

Tilda might be on as a guest villain maybe--see comes off even cooler.Tilda has a companion as well--a drunk.

A really good episode name for this?

"Some Velvet Morning"

But with a change or two...

Some velvet morning when I'm straight
    I'm gonna batter down that gate
    And maybe tell you 'bout Yidhra
    And how she gave me life
    And how she made it end
    Some velvet morning when I'm straight...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I saw the announcement and checked her IMDB page. It already showed a credit (third down) for the Doctor Who Christmas episode. They're either very fast or had inside information.

(The episode IMDB page lists three cast members, all playing The Doctor.)
    Apparently the Christmas episode has David Bradley playing the original Doctor*, Peter Capaldi playing the 12th Doctor, and Whittaker playing the 13th.

*For those of you who don't know, the original Doctor was played by William Hartnell, who died in 1975. Bradley played Hartnell in a 50th anniversary docudrama about the origins of the series, "An Adventure in Space and Time", and was very well-received in the role.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Also, I'm mildly disappointed (though not surprised) that they went with pretty. This recent trend of making the Doctor pretty may have extended his fandom but it certainly moved him away from his quirky, otherworldly beginnings. To be fair, it's a lot easier to be a quirky, unconventional-looking character actor and a man than it is to be those things and a woman (sorry, my dear Emily Watson). It seems from the teaser that they're going for a Cate Blanchett/Galadriel "otherworldly elf queen" theme, but the Doctor isn't Galadriel; he's Puck.
    That was my thought, too: I'm less bugged by her being a woman than by her being young and attractive. If they did cast a woman, I figured she would be a more seasoned actress. But I'm willing to give it a try.
    Last edited by ToSeek; 2017-Aug-15 at 08:53 PM.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.