Thread: Apollo 16 AS16-123 (Far Ultraviolet Camera/Spectroscope UVC photos)

Apollo 16 AS16-123 (Far Ultraviolet Camera/Spectroscope UVC photos)

Disclaimer: I am not endorsed or helped by NASA, I did this in my own free time.

Far Ultraviolet Camera/Spectroscope
    Apollo 16 ALSEP Experiment S201
    Apollo 16 magazine AS16-123
    UVC

uv_camera_lg.gif
    As far as we are aware, magazine Apollo 16 magazine AS16-123 has not been scanned in high resolution like most Apollo-era photos. This is a shame.

Like other Apollo magazines not online, or only in low resolution, it is a hole in space history.

And to make matters worse, only a few scans are readily available. Here are the images found online so far: As you can see, these images appear to be low resolution scans of later generation copies and probably prints. So we decided to take matters into our own hands and ask NASA for the images.

We received the images, and what we got were completely non-standard files not readable by normal image software. They appear to be raw bit streams taken from the tape. Luckily, information on how they were scanned and saved is available.

The Revised S201 catalog of far-ultraviolet objects contains some images and inspects them in detail. A great source of information. (If you are a partner of babel, please download the entire document and send it to us!)

After messing around with the files we received from NASA, we slowly but surely began to get recognizable images. We continued to tweak them, until we finally got acceptable results. Since these are uncompressed scans of first generation negatives, they are of much higher resolution and dynamic range than many images on the internet.

We proudly present the files from NASA unconverted and converted to standard JPGs. This set includes UVC images taken on Apollo 16 and SkyLab:
    Apollo 16
    Skylab

1f126.jpg

In each image, the first 600 bytes were used for a header. We converted the first 600 bytes of each image to text which can be viewed here: Text | Excel.

If you come up with anything interesting, please share it with us!

NEW! Slideshow on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s17Se8-CbgE

Sincerely,
    apollo16uvc
    Last edited by apollo16uvc; 2017-Mar-22 at 02:40 PM.

Welcome to the CosmoQuest forums, apollo16uvc. Please note that posts by new members are held in queue for moderator approval. This is primarily a spam control measure and will trouble you no more after a short while. If you haven't already done so, please read our rules, linked in my signature line below. And again, welcome. It looks like you're off to a good start.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Welcome to the CosmoQuest forums, apollo16uvc. Please note that posts by new members are held in queue for moderator approval. This is primarily a spam control measure and will trouble you no more after a short while. If you haven't already done so, please read our rules, linked in my signature line below. And again, welcome. It looks like you're off to a good start.
    I can not edit my profile yet, that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by apollo16uvc View Post
    I can not edit my profile yet, that would be nice.
    Sorry, that's part of our anti-spam measures too.

I also converted your embedded video to a link. Yes, the software allows embedded videos, but our rules do not.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Now, I'll take my moderator hat off...

Cool slideshow and nice that you are recovering these images and sharing them with us. I wouldn't mind a slower slide show, with a little more explanation of what the images are.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Now, I'll take my moderator hat off...

Cool slideshow and nice that you are recovering these images and sharing them with us. I wouldn't mind a slower slide show, with a little more explanation of what the images are.
    Thank you.

Click on YT gear icon to speed up/slow down as you see fit.

I don't have the time right now to research individual pictures and write it down. Some of the links I posted talk about some pictures in detail, like the Revised S201 catalog.

This is very cool (for all the reasons mentioned at the outset) - congratulations! Maybe I should dive into the unconverted files and see whether making versions in the standard FITS format makes sense; I bet astrometry.net can put proper coordinate keywords on them...

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    This is very cool (for all the reasons mentioned at the outset) - congratulations! Maybe I should dive into the unconverted files and see whether making versions in the standard FITS format makes sense; I bet astrometry.net can put proper coordinate keywords on them...
    If you get recognizable images, please tell us how you did it!
    Note that it aren't actual .RAW files, that's just an generic extension given to it.
    I think the S201 catalog discusses locations of stars and how to locate them. That is why they scanned it digitally, to have a computer locate stars.
    Last edited by apollo16uvc; 2017-Mar-22 at 05:44 PM.

The initial (non-revised) catalog edition can be found scanned here. The revised edition is supposed to exist in digital form at the SIMBAD repository but shows not available - I sent a query to see whether this is temporary or what.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    The initial (non-revised) catalog edition can be found scanned here. The revised edition is supposed to exist in digital form at the SIMBAD repository but shows not available - I sent a query to see whether this is temporary or what.
    Can't you get it at Babel? https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...39015059991854

Yes, but if there is an online version where the tabular values trace directly to the original 7-track tape from Page and Carruthers, that's a better guarantee of fidelity. I have a bad feeling it may have gone into limbo several years back when NASA ceased funding their astronomical catalog data center at GSFC on the grounds that it was all duplicated by SIMBAD in Europe (which in turn has mirror sites on several continents).

BTW at the risk of topic drift - a few years ago, you could buy a toy replica of the S201 camera/telescope with the "Commander Wolf Perry" action figure. I had occasion to speak to George Carruthers about building and flying the camera once and he had apparently not seen these yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aha! Courtesy of Patricia Vannier with the Centre de Donnees astronomiques, I have the proper data section of the revised S201 catalog, without ever having been scanned and OCR'ed. (It was not available online through their nice web interface because the metadata had not been entered to support filtering of entries).

(Hmm, the attachment management window first thinks .txt files are OK, then decides not. So I parked it here.)

I have added several PDF, picture and text files to the archive page.

They include several S201 catalogs, text with metadata, and some scans of documents used at Houston.