Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Total Solar Eclipse - August 21, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    All those dang Brazilian butterflies...
    Better than stepping on a Cretaceous butterfly.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    High in the mid-90s, low in the mid-70s, humid with scattered afternoon and evening thundershowers?

Well, that's the default from May through September.
    Yeah, it's bumped to 60% chance of rain as of yesterday. I looked an hour's drive up the track and it is half that, but still 60% an hour down-track. I'm looking for any frontal movements that we might want to get behind.

These rain chances aren't likely reliable this far out, of course.
    Last edited by George; 2017-Aug-11 at 01:09 PM.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

These rain chances aren't likely reliable this far out, of course.
    Tyson says "They're utterly useless."

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    Tyson says "They're utterly useless."
    My first thought is that a high chance of rain predicted this far in advance gives us a better chance for clear skies.

My first thought is that a high chance of rain predicted this far in advance gives us a better chance for clear skies.
    Contrarian Meteorology 101?

Libraries around the country are distributing eclipse glasses. My local branch will give them out if you attend an hour demo tomorrow, Saturday, or the day of the eclipse. In Denver, my daughter picked up a pair at the library, no questions asked, but they weren't marked ISO 12312-2, they were just marked ISO.

Our school ordered 1000 for $800, from one of the "approved" vendors, plus shipping, but we only received 765. They were marked ISO-12312-2, but the company help line was in Germany.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/avoid-buyin...ry?id=49116565

The price on Amazon is ... scary. $25 for four is typical, with no guarantee they'll be there by the 21st. It's a long way to China.

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Libraries around the country are distributing eclipse glasses. My local branch will give them out if you attend an hour demo tomorrow, Saturday, or the day of the eclipse. In Denver, my daughter picked up a pair at the library, no questions asked, but they weren't marked ISO 12312-2, they were just marked ISO.

Our school ordered 1000 for $800, from one of the "approved" vendors, plus shipping, but we only received 765. They were marked ISO-12312-2, but the company help line was in Germany.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/avoid-buyin...ry?id=49116565
    When I was a kid, they said it was safe to use exposed film like a filter. I have my doubts because a photographer friend who has miles of exposed film suggested legitimate glasses from a good vendor. At least, that is what he has purchased. I suspect he knows a fair bit more than me about light and optics than I.

Edit - The Too Literal Funny Image: Your wedding photos permanently burned on to your retinas.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2017-Aug-12 at 03:47 AM.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

I recall using exposed film as a youngster. It had to be B&W film, unrolled and fully exposed to sunlight, then properly developed. The silver compound particles provided panchromatic attenuation. Color film won't do (organic dies don't absorb enough, especially outside the eye's spectral response). Since y mom worked at a hospital, I can add that X-ray film was too opaque when completely exposed, and when exposed less to allow sunlight through, transmitted way more red than blue.

And it's a major chore to even find B&W film these days.

I just got an "important product safety notification" from Amazon on my phone. First thought was "Uh-oh. Eclipse glasses no good." Turns out it WAS for one of the three eclipse products we purchased from them but it was the solar filter for the camera. Apparently I shouldn't view the eclipse directly through it. And they're giving us our money back. All good so far. Hope they don't also hit the glasses. I'm not worried about the Celestron solar binocs.

ETA: I'm 99% certain we'll just watch the 99% totality from Portland, instead of joining the million or so people trying to go south on I-5.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Is it the IR, which is about half of the sunlight we see, or the UV that is the big issue for proper filtration? Glass blocks UV but is there enough glass in a camera lens to block the IR?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I just got an "important product safety notification" from Amazon on my phone. First thought was "Uh-oh. Eclipse glasses no good." Turns out it WAS for one of the three eclipse products we purchased from them but it was the solar filter for the camera. Apparently I shouldn't view the eclipse directly through it. And they're giving us our money back. All good so far. Hope they don't also hit the glasses. I'm not worried about the Celestron solar binocs.

ETA: I'm 99% certain we'll just watch the 99% totality from Portland, instead of joining the million or so people trying to go south on I-5.
    Aveni's simile between a partial eclipse to a total one is like going to the Super Bowl the day before the game.

Trebuchet I also received an email from Amazon and it was concerning the solar eclipse glasses that I brought through them. It said to not use them and that my account would be credited. I just got back from Walmart to get made in the USA replacements for $1 each. The Amazon brand glasses were made in China. Glad they had them in stock as it was the only store left in town that still has a few.

Good reference for viewing the Sun through various materials:

https://www.rasc.ca/tov/safety

Aveni's simile between a partial eclipse to a total one is like going to the Super Bowl the day before the game.
    It's sounding like it may be cloudy anyhow. I'm just too dang old to deal with the number of idiots that'll be on the freeway.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It's sounding like it may be cloudy anyhow. I'm just too dang old to deal with the number of idiots that'll be on the freeway.
    You can join us in Texas in 7 years. It will be much larger, of course.

Naturally, it's in Texas.

The clouds certainly can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    The clouds certainly can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    We hope the clouds will be like our winter... on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Good question George. Not sure of the exact orientation myself but assume the flares on the far side are pointing outward at different angles due to the curvature of the sun's surface. Best guess.
    A recent APOD image shows that we might see solar prominences and corona filaments.

We don't need sunspots to see prominences but flares arising from sunspots will last only a moment or so.

I rented a beautiful three story cabin near Franklin NC a year ago and me, my wife, and other family members are spending a week there. We will arrive there this Saturday. Franklin is almost right in the middle of the 70 mile eclipse zone. The cabin sits high on a mountain and should give us a nice view of the eclipse event. There is a huge eclipse party going on in Downtown Franklin, where thousands of people are expected. The downtown party did sound good, with lot's of activities, but we are thinking that we will just stay at the cabin and have our own little party for the event.

My only concern is that it's cloudy on Monday.

7-day forecast from NOAA
    Atlanta - A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.
    Franklin - Mostly sunny, with a high near 88.

7-day forecast from NOAA
    Atlanta - A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.
    Nice. Gallatin has dropped from 60% (last Friday) to a forecast of 20%. [Hope this change isn't too early to be valid.]

I was watching the NBC nightly news yesterday, and they had a short segment about counterfeit solar viewing glasses.
    The reporter said that you can tell if your glasses are legit if you look at the sun and see nothing until the moon moves completely in front of the disk.

How could a major news organization get it so wrong?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I was watching the NBC nightly news yesterday, and they had a short segment about counterfeit solar viewing glasses.
    The reporter said that you can tell if your glasses are legit if you look at the sun and see nothing until the moon moves completely in front of the disk.

How could a major news organization get it so wrong?
    Ug, that's terrible. The counterfeit glasses likely do not block harmful UV, and the intensity of the IR from the Sun is a safety issue as well. They were correct to say that they should leave (proper) solar glasses on until you no longer see light through them, but this has nothing to do with the fraud issue.

7-day forecast from NOAA
    Thanks you. I do hope that the weather is good on Monday. The eclipse is not our entire vacation, as we have many other things planned; but it is the reason we are there at this time and it's possibly the only eclipse any of us will ever witness in person.

I know there is another possibility to see the next eclipse here in the US in the mid 2020's. I think that one goes right thru Cedar Point Amusement Park in Ohio. Me and my wife do love to ride roller coasters and Cedar Point is one of our favorite parks, so who knows... I like the idea of being on a roller coaster during totality...

Quote Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
    I know there is another possibility to see the next eclipse here in the US in the mid 2020's. I think that one goes right thru Cedar Point Amusement Park in Ohio. .
    Yep, Here is an interactive map that shows the entire eclipse route, and you can zoom in to see it in detail. The centerline cuts through Norwalk, OH, perhaps closest point from Cedar Point.

28. 2017-Aug-15, 04:53 PM

Cool Preview of Partial Solar Eclipse from Chicago

For Chicagolanders not going to St. Louis, Carbondale or elsewhere for the Total Solar Eclipse on Monday 2017 AUG 21, here is my rendering of how the maximum of the Partial Solar Eclipse should appear from Chicago's Adler Planetarium. Of course the Moon should actually appear the same color as the sky, but I've darkened it to emphasize its positioning. The next Total Solar Eclipse visible from at least a portion of the city of Chicago will occur on 2099 SEP 14. You kids who plan to see that 2099 eclipse may want to drive north of Milwaukee for a longer duration of totality.

Eclipse-Chicago.JPG
    Last edited by Centaur; 2017-Aug-15 at 07:29 PM.
    For astronomical graphics and data visit
    CurtRenz.com/astronomy.html

Yep, Here is an interactive map that shows the entire eclipse route, and you can zoom in to see it in detail. The centerline cuts through Norwalk, OH, perhaps closest point from Cedar Point.
    Thank You. Nice interactive map and love the zoom. Man, I can so see myself on Millennium Force, my favorite roller coaster in the world, during the eclipse. Of course, most likely, I will be waiting in that long line!!!

I'll be working, but it's in-home work so I'll be able to take breaks and enjoy. Won't set up my telescope/eclipse attachment though. Will be a good opportunity to write some poetry (effects on birds, whatever).
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.