Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A terabyte

I know this is almost three years old, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I used Bernoulli boxes back in the 1980s.
    I remember those!

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Some people just like to own more electronic books than they can ever read - amassing them seems to become an end in itself. I don't know why.
    I think it was the same with old-fashioned books. But - option value. You don't know in advance which books you will need or want. If you collect them all, then the odds that you'll have the book you want/need when you want/need it increase.

If books are cheaper than they used to be, then the cost of this option is lower than it used to be.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I see some 1 TB Micro SD cards on Amazon for ~$400 (USA), so those are out there now. I see the SSDs have come down to about $150.
    Newegg.com has 1 TB SanDisk microSD cards for $260. Interestingly, they list a "date first available" of April 06, 2017, before this thread was started (though it was presumably at a higher price then).

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    Newegg.com has 1 TB SanDisk microSD cards for $260. Interestingly, they list a "date first available" of April 06, 2017, before this thread was started (though it was presumably at a higher price then).
    I think they got that wrong. According to this:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sandisk...ews-30079.html

they were announced February 2018 and became available May 2019.

It reminds me of the story I mention every so often, visiting a large state data center in 1989. We had to go through security and had a minder to watch us, and walked around inside a huge brick building that had once been a cannery. A very large area under dim lighting was filled with washing machine sized IBM hard drives, each with about a gigabyte of storage. Going off into the distance were over 600 drives. Elsewhere there were arrays of tall tape drives and many rows of racks holding tapes. In another place, there were multiple car sized motor-generators designed to stabilize power for the mainframes, drives, printers, and so forth.

Total disk storage was around 650 gb, and a couple tb of offline tape capacity, in what was one of the largest data centers in the country. Now you can fit all that on two or three of these tiny cards, though admittedly with less redundancy and with access limitations (those drive arrays allowed a great deal of parallel access).

Of course, my home system exceeded the data center’s capacity many years ago, and I have spare drives with more capacity sitting around.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Smartphones with 1 TB of storage are now available.

FWIW, QLC SSDs are readily available in NVMe (~1GB/sec) and SATA (~560MB/sec) formats for ~$100 US per TeraByte these days. High performance (~3GB/sec) TLC models cost about twice that. PCIe v4 variants are currently ~5GB/sec and expected to go significantly faster in the near future. B = bytes, not bits. I remember when 300 baud was common
    Selden