Thread: Google Hangouts?

Google Hangouts?

The Google Hangouts subforum appears to be rather moribund. I posted in the most recent thread there in October, and there it sits with no action since then. What is that subforum supposed to do that cannot be done just as easily in Q&A or Astronomy?

To be honest, I have no idea. Both the "Citizen Science" and "Listen, Learn, Teach, Engage" sections were created by the non-BAUT part of Cosmoquest, I believe to support the non-forum parts of CQ's various missions and platforms. I don't think any of that ever panned out the way it was hoped for, but I honestly haven't heard anything about them from anyone in authority for years.

Sorry for the non-answer, but I thought I'd at least acknowledge your legit question.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    The Google Hangouts subforum appears to be rather moribund. I posted in the most recent thread there in October, and there it sits with no action since then. What is that subforum supposed to do that cannot be done just as easily in Q&A or Astronomy?
    From what I got from the last few astronomycast episodes, they switched back from google+ to youtube.

AstronomyCast Youtube Channel:

"https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUH...jEO2rvK--MdCSg "

-- Dennis
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander

I hate to say it, but the Hangout forum is being horribly misused and looks to be abandoned for it's intended purpose. The point of it during the CQ days was to get people over to Google to participate. Having said that, Google is a better tool for announcing things like this. In fact, messaging is a built in tool in Hangouts, there is no real need for this forum, except for perhaps tech support or big events. Google Hangouts is by far superior to anything else when it comes to conferencing and recording video. Which is a foreign concept for BAUT.

If you watch the latest Astronomy Cast Episode "Favorite Things We've Done in the Past 10 Years", you can see how integral Google was to the creation of the Cosmoquest Brand. Astronomy Cast is recorded on video now using Hangouts and posted as a 60+ video AND ~30 minute podcast. The extra 30 minutes different is doing "live things" which doesn't necessarily translate to pod cast.

The decision to combine CQ and BAUT was likely pragmatic. CQ was a fully functioning forum, with very little purpose. BAUT was a modified board with high volume. Since Fraser and Pamela were on the same team, it made little sense to have two different boards. Each had a very different flavor, so the marriage was difficult.

Cosmoquest users have a very "hi and bye" posting style and rarely use this forum. Very often they push on out to Google Plus or run to Hangouts and talk to the gang in person. I have mentioned a desire to give a special title of some sort to people who are actively using citizen science on CQ on our forum here. It is our forum despite the CQ moniker, it isn't working out for CQ as intended. (This is because the technology changed several times over, not because something was a failure.) My rational for this special acknowledgement of that team here is so that BAUT forum staff and members immediately recognize the citizen science team as more than "newbies", which their title often indicates. They simply don't post.

Technically, a lot of citizen science members have been here since the "beginning of time" but don't really see the utility of the forum. They post with references to things only active participants in the citizen science would know, which looks either spammy, confused or horribly broken. Sometimes they are screen caps of random things or references to images people can't access. A lot of times they look like ATM claims: "Do you think this a machine on the moon?", "Does this look man made?", "Can someone tell me the coordinates of this place?", etc. I like the last one, because it often comes across as "I'd like to build a house here."

Exactly how you code that is beyond me, because the citizen science portion of CQ is not very social savvy. It feels very "on your own", until you run down either the BAUT forum route or the Google road.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

This Google stuff is news to me. I had seen that thread and just thought it was the same function as in Q&A, simply in a subforum that had become redundant as a result of the merger. I had no idea that there might be some sort of cultural divide here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    This Google stuff is news to me. I had seen that thread and just thought it was the same function as in Q&A, simply in a subforum that had become redundant as a result of the merger. I had no idea that there might be some sort of cultural divide here.
    There is a literal ton of good things coming out of the CQ. Fraser has his videos, Pamela joins in on Astronomy Cast, there is a weekly astronomy hangout which is also transformed into a pod cast that is distinct from Astronomy Cast, the UT stuff is still flowing and if you use Google Plus, it is trivially simply to get caught up in the whole stringy mess. You can easily talk to UT authors, get access to Fraser and Pamela, learn about other astronomers, find various science students who come across as mentors, etc.

It is actually kind of wonderful.

Yeah. The stuff coming out from both Fraser and Dr. Gay (even before the grants she got) is really great. The CQ side of things can get pretty epic sometimes. When I had time to tune into the live hangouts, it was always informative and accessible. I know this community seems to get the short end of CQ's attention, and that is unfortunate. But there is a bigger world connected to us BABBers, just a few clicks away.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    <snip>
    I have mentioned a desire to give a special title of some sort to people who are actively using citizen science on CQ on our forum here. It is our forum despite the CQ moniker, it isn't working out for CQ as intended. (This is because the technology changed several times over, not because something was a failure.) My rational for this special acknowledgement of that team here is so that BAUT forum staff and members immediately recognize the citizen science team as more than "newbies", which their title often indicates. They simply don't post.

Technically, a lot of citizen science members have been here since the "beginning of time" but don't really see the utility of the forum. They post with references to things only active participants in the citizen science would know, which looks either spammy, confused or horribly broken. Sometimes they are screen caps of random things or references to images people can't access. A lot of times they look like ATM claims: "Do you think this a machine on the moon?", "Does this look man made?", "Can someone tell me the coordinates of this place?", etc. I like the last one, because it often comes across as "I'd like to build a house here."

Exactly how you code that is beyond me, because the citizen science portion of CQ is not very social savvy. It feels very "on your own", until you run down either the BAUT forum route or the Google road.
    Solfe

Your comments have been discussed a little in moderator-land. None of us ever recall a Citizen Science poster being mistaken for a spammer, a seagull, or in any way "broken".

As I mentioned above, I think they are just mostly ignored.

As far as your suggestion about a special title, it is a nice idea, but none of the mods/admins on this side of the divide know how to do that, other than manually giving every Citizen Scientist a special title, and we don't have a list of those participants, nor the energy to do all of that.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Solfe

Your comments have been discussed a little in moderator-land. None of us ever recall a Citizen Science poster being mistaken for a spammer, a seagull, or in any way "broken".

As I mentioned above, I think they are just mostly ignored.

As far as your suggestion about a special title, it is a nice idea, but none of the mods/admins on this side of the divide know how to do that, other than manually giving every Citizen Scientist a special title, and we don't have a list of those participants, nor the energy to do all of that.
    I don't mean to disparage the mod team, as far as I know it hasn't been much, if any issue. I believe the closest it has a come is when most average user can't recognize a screen cap from the CQ website and a flurry of "what software is that?", "what are you claiming, if anything" type posts go out. My reference to "broken" goes back to a post about a screen cap of a possible lunar rover and another of an Apollo Landing site. The Apollo site was confirmed, but I think the other was not.

What struct me a particularly off or broken was that a member of the BAUT forum id'ed the Apollo landing site from personal knowledge, but had no idea where the image came from. The OP might have said something odd like "I got this picture this morning..." which was an "interesting" thing to say.

It seems to me that if not the mod team, "someone" has to have a line item in a DB to match citizen science to forum log ins. Perhaps it isn't in the mod hands, but it must exist. I am about 99% certain that if you want to record stats on the Citizen Science side, you have to have a forum log in. In fact, it is how I came to be on the CQ before the merger with BAUT. I was blogging about various citizen science programs. I think there is even a connection to CQ apps. I recall having to create a bunch of fictional logins to test "Earth, Not Earth".

I was under the impression there is one log-in for all of CQ. Your forum log-in should get you into the citizen science pages. The citizen science participants can just pop over to the forum once they are logged in. If this has changed, or if I misunderstood Dr. Gay's explanations, I would stand corrected.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I was under the impression there is one log-in for all of CQ. Your forum log-in should get you into the citizen science pages. The citizen science participants can just pop over to the forum once they are logged in. If this has changed, or if I misunderstood Dr. Gay's explanations, I would stand corrected.

CJSF
    You are right, but I believe you can start working right away, without any login. I am not sure if it is just a tutorial or if it doesn't count or what.

You cannot fully participate in the citizen science without a log-in. There is no way to keep valid statistics or properly characterize the metrics without it. If you start working without logging in, it will ask you to do so before submitting your first non-tutorial image.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org