Thread: The "Contact Us" link

The "Contact Us" link

There is a link at the bottom of the forum pages labelled "Contact Us". This executes a script that sends an email to one of the moderators.
    We had an incident recently in which one of our long term members got suspended, and created a temporary account for the purpose of contacting the mods to question the suspension, and plead a case for ending the suspension. This action was a violation of the sock-puppet rules, even though no posting to the public forum was done by this member. After some discussion about what options were available, the admins and mod team have decided that going forward anyone who is temporarily unable to post because of a suspension should use the "Contact Us" link. Going forward all violations of the sock-puppet rules will be treated as advertised, and result in being banned.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Limited Access

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    There is a link at the bottom of the forum pages labelled "Contact Us". This executes a script that sends an email to one of the moderators.
    We had an incident recently in which one of our long term members got suspended, and created a temporary account for the purpose of contacting the mods to question the suspension, and plead a case for ending the suspension. This action was a violation of the sock-puppet rules, even though no posting to the public forum was done by this member. After some discussion about what options were available, the admins and mod team have decided that going forward anyone who is temporarily unable to post because of a suspension should use the "Contact Us" link. Going forward all violations of the sock-puppet rules will be treated as advertised, and result in being banned.
    Seems quite reasonable to me. Good luck !

I'm confused then. So did this member in fact violate the new spirit of the law or not? And if so, and the Sock Puppet rule is in effect, how does one use the Contact Us button if their account is suspended?

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I'm confused then. So did this member in fact violate the new spirit of the law or not? And if so, and the Sock Puppet rule is in effect, how does one use the Contact Us button if their account is suspended?
    The member violated the letter of the rule. The spirit of the rule's enforceable edge was debatable. As to how one can use the "Contact Us" link, it is accessible even if you have not logged in.

So was said member banned or not?

CJSF

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    So was said member banned or not? ...
    This member was not banned, and so far has not received any additional points for the event, but that is still under discussion.
    It was the discussion of the ambiguity of how this situation could have been handled that led to us activating the "Contact Us" link, and changing it to not point to the webmaster, but rather to one of the moderator team members, and to enable it to be accessible to non-members.
    In the past there have been people who were suspended or banned that contacted us through third parties that were members, or third parties that joined for the solely sake of communicating with us. This new event seems slightly different from those other situations, only because there is an explicit rule about it. This event showed us that we needed a clear procedure for this, and not member-invented ad hoc workarounds.
    Last edited by antoniseb; 2017-Jul-12 at 07:16 PM.