Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is in a Uniform or Title (Workplace chat)

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I have a Scottish friend who was surprised to learn that USA calls roofing tiles "shingles."
    In that case, you might be talking about two different things. What in the US are commonly called "shingles" are made out of asphalt, or something similar - if you ever handle one, they are actually rather flexible. In much of Europe they using roofing tiles, which are actually ceramic pieces made from clay (usually). They both are used for the outer layer of a roof, but they are rather different technologies.

I have seen houses with roofing tiles in the US and they are called "roofing tiles" (seem more common in the southwest). I don't recall seeing shingles in Europe, though I expect they exist. I don't know what they call them, but wikipedia to the rescue..... LINK

n the United States, fiberglass-based asphalt shingles are by far the most common roofing material used for residential roofing applications. In Europe they are called bitumen roof shingles or tile strips, and are much less common.[4] They are easy to install, relatively affordable, last 20 to 50 years and are recyclable in some areas. Asphalt shingles come in a large number of styles and colors.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I have a Scottish friend who was surprised to learn that USA calls roofing tiles "shingles." And a Tollhouse is a prison (he says) ... so Tollhouse Cookies are prison cookies?
    Biscuits. Gaol biscuits.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Biscuits. Gaol biscuits.

Swift - lots of roofing tiles here ("Spanish").

4. 2017-Aug-15, 01:30 AM

Asphalt-fiberglass or wood shingles, ceramic roof tiles, cedar siding shakes, wooden clapboard siding, slate roofing tiles. Language is funny. I think the asphalt ones are shingles because they replaced split, not sawn, wooden shingles.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Biscuits. Gaol biscuits.
    Tolbooths were multifunctional buildings. I spit on The Heart of Midlothian, but only if tourists are watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I have a PhD. I do not refer to myself as "doctor"; for one thing, it can lead to confusion with MDs. And in non-professional interactions, it doesn't really add anything important and I think comes across as a little conceited. For example, meeting someone for the first time, I introduce myself as "Swift", not "Dr. Swift". An MD who I met at a party and introduced themselves as "Dr. John Doe", instead of "John" or "John Doe" would come across to me as a little conceited.

I don't usually use "Doctor" in professional situations either. For one thing, it is often the case that a high percentage of the other people involved also have PhDs, so it isn't a big deal. On my business card it does say "FirstName Swift, Ph.D.", and below that is my actual job title, "Research Associate". Actually, that job title bothers me a lot more than anything else, but that's another story.
    I'm all over the place with regards to using my title. Normally, I don't. My name sells itself. Only when working with German engineers I use my title because otherwise some of them don't value my input. Strange habit, considering what kind of clueless people somehow manage to get a degree. Also when working with Russian and African universities I use my title because they see it as a -required- quality label combined with my experience. However, for W-European universities my title is read as "not a Ph.D" in the most condescending way possible. Indeed, not a Ph.D. so not worthy of becoming Professor thisorthat. But hey, don't bother asking about my knowledge or experience. You get it: I do not really like the atmosphere that lives in many universities. By the way: the main reason I am not a Ph.D is because already at M.Sc. level, my professional experience was too advanced for the relevant(?) professor to judge my work -his words. Enough for me to stay in the professional field.

So yeah, I don't care too much about titles. Only exception: hiring people with no experience. Their title is all they have at that point, so all to go by. Which brings us to the 21st century problem: all degrees are called "master" is one way or another. On top of that, many universities group and share a name. So when hiring people, all CV's read "master in WhatsIt, ThisOrThat University". Impossible to know where exactly they studied nor at which level. I have to ask the nominal study duration to get a clue of the level of education they had. Strictly speaking, there are distinctions like a professional master versus an academic master, but especially when it's not in your advantage this makes it very attractive to just call it "a master".
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2017-Aug-16 at 12:14 PM.

The "big thing" when I started grad school in the mid to late 90s was that, because of academic history and inertia, our Geography degrees were going to be Master of Arts instead of Master of Science. It's hard to argue one way or another with a field like Geography. There *are* analytical traditions, and my own focus area and thesis involved Remote Sensing and feature classification. But MA it is. In some places of employment, especially those dominated by engineers, that has proven to be problematic (for many of us). But in the end, as the new century dawned, there were way bigger issues than my degree's title.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I can imagine engineers frowning upon an MA title if they are not familiar with the curriculum.