Thread: Would it be ok to start a thread about the genesis of event horizons, in S&T?

Would it be ok to start a thread about the genesis of event horizons, in S&T?

I would quite like to start a thread about the genesis of event horizons/surfaces of infinite redshift, but I think it requires more than a simple answer in Q&A, and may involve more of a discussion.

So they are supposed to(by some accounts) start in the core of a collapsing star(ignoring primordial black holes for the minute) as a small black hole(that go on to expand), but how?

This is what I hope to be debated. At the moment it seems that they just spring up ready formed, with a certain amount of matter in them...so is this some kind of magic, or is there some science behind this?

Which came first: the chicken or the egg; or, the blackhole/eventhorizon, or the blackhole/eventhorizon?

Maybe we are all weary of black hole discussions, but they are a serious issue, since they are such a testing ground for science; such extremes in density, on such small scales. Much of astrophysics is put under the microscope in these environments.

I hope there is no ATM in this post...I don't want to get into trouble.
    Last edited by Mudskipper; 2017-Aug-10 at 10:12 PM.
    Formerly Frog march..............

Another thread seems pointless to me. You got a good selection of responses before your ATM thread on this exact topic was closed, and you'll just get the same responses again. If they didn't convince you the first time, will it be any different the second time?

Grant Hutchison

I'll make what grant hutchison said official: No.

You already have this thread in S&T and one in Q&A on virtually the same topic. Both are still open. Go ask your questions in one of those.

But you also seem unwilling to acceptable the mainstream answers you have been given. That will lead to trouble.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Ok, yes, I did seem to ask the same question there. I just wasn't sure we got to the bottom of it....I should go to bed.
    Formerly Frog march..............