Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T-rex vs modern species.

I don't see that. To me, those dragons look like they're modeled after existing things. The western ones looks like owl feet, bat wings, and perhaps a dog face. And the Chinese one looks like a snake with a lion's head and maybe some kind of bird feet.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by cdrw View Post
    Yeah, it seems the poor T-rex would be outmatched by us lowly monkeys - we don't fight fair. The reason I mentioned the Inland Taipan snake is that its venom it so powerful it's toxic enough to kill a hundred men in one bite, and it bites several times in one attack. But if the bites can't penetrate the dino's skin then that toxicity is useless unless it adapted to always wait and bite the dinosaur's tongue. It would die, but by killing a t-rex it would provide enough meat for other snakes to eat for a long time. Bad for the individual but good for spreading the genes of the species.
    Snakes aren't eels: snakes swallow prey whole.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    Although no human ever saw a Tyrannosaurus, some kind of a primordial tradition of a serpentic/draconic/tyrannosauric-type creature must have made an impression on national memory that it should still be depicted to this day in the heraldry and symbology of the UK, China and elsewhere
    There's no indication that such a creature survived the millions of years between the Dino Killer and the appearance of proto-humans. It's more likely that active imaginations were at work.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Hmm - reading Marco Polo's description couldn't the thing possibly be a Komodo? As Noisy says active imaginations certainly would be at work and upon seeing a monstrous, clearly dangerous lizard, pausing to reflect after you stop running away certain aspects of what you saw could certainly have been exaggerated. I, for example, am utterly convinced that every spider that has made it into my apartment is at least a foot and a half across.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    Hmm - reading Marco Polo's description couldn't the thing possibly be a Komodo? As Noisy says active imaginations certainly would be at work and upon seeing a monstrous, clearly dangerous lizard, pausing to reflect after you stop running away certain aspects of what you saw could certainly have been exaggerated. I, for example, am utterly convinced that every spider that has made it into my apartment is at least a foot and a half across.
    Did he make it down there? Or did someone bring a few back to China?

https://sites.google.com/site/komodo...ve/islands.gifislands.gif

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    Did he make it down there? Or did someone bring a few back to China?

https://sites.google.com/site/komodo...ve/islands.gifislands.gif
    Good question - Polo says he saw it in the wild and he did travel extensively so it's not unthinkable that he could have made it down there. But given China's wide-ranging exploration at the time I suggest a specimen could have been brought back - and Marco engaged in a little creative licence - something he was certainly known for.
    It would be far less blatant than reports of vast sea-monsters sailors of the time described.
    Last edited by NorthernDevo; 2017-Aug-30 at 12:45 AM.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Then again, if somebody brought one back and then it grew up it could quite possibly be in the wild.

Don't need a T-rex when you have creatures like Gustav running about. Gustav is a rogue Nile crocodile that specializes in killing humans. Nat Geo sent a team down to disprove his existance and that team recorded him killing more than 20 people in just two weeks.

He doesn't attack people at the water's edge, he waits in the bushes and jumps them 100 meters from the shore. Of the 20 or so people he killed he only ate 2.

He kills humans because he doesn't like us.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Don't need a T-rex when you have creatures like Gustav running about. Gustav is a rogue Nile crocodile that specializes in killing humans. Nat Geo sent a team down to disprove his existance and that team recorded him killing more than 20 people in just two weeks.

He doesn't attack people at the water's edge, he waits in the bushes and jumps them 100 meters from the shore. Of the 20 or so people he killed he only ate 2.

That sounds very reasonable.

I can imagine how images of dragons and the like, including some which might resemble a T. rex, could arise from upwards of second or third hand retellings of fleeting, scary sightings of crocodiles or large monitor lizards.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post

Somehow that seems unethical. If they can record it killing people, somebody should shoot it.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Somehow that seems unethical. If they can record it killing people, somebody should shoot it.
    I'm sure they would, if they can find it among the other crocs.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I'm sure they would, if they can find it among the other crocs.
    And the Egyptians will have already tried, of course.

Personally, I'd bet on the croc any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I can imagine how images of dragons and the like, including some which might resemble a T. rex, could arise from upwards of second or third hand retellings of fleeting, scary sightings of crocodiles or large monitor lizards.
    Fossils were found long before Darwin came along.

In some parts of the world there are bits of dinosaur just lying around on the surface. Centuries ago, if you found a tyrannosaur jawbone or whatever, it'd be natural to ascribe it to some dragon or demon from before the flood ?

Quote Originally Posted by kzb View Post
    Fossils were found long before Darwin came along.

In some parts of the world there are bits of dinosaur just lying around on the surface. Centuries ago, if you found a tyrannosaur jawbone or whatever, it'd be natural to ascribe it to some dragon or demon from before the flood ?
    Mastodon skulls were thought to be cyclops because of the single nasal cavity in the center.

The hippo skull--or that of ndrewsarchus is about as close to a T-Rex as any land mammal got. Orca, on the other hand.

This thread reminds me of the show Terra Nova. The cast goes against dinosaurs with modern weapons. Rarely works. For some reason they wear body armor, which also works as well as you'd expect.

I like Jason O'Mara, but he seems be a Extinction Level Event when cast. Either he dies (Grey's Anatomy) or the show dies (Terra Nova, Life on Mars - US remake). I haven't been watching Agents of SHIELD, but maybe I should be.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    This thread reminds me of the show Terra Nova. The cast goes against dinosaurs with modern weapons. Rarely works. For some reason they wear body armor, which also works as well as you'd expect.
    if modern weapons don't work, there would seem to be some sort of magical element going on. Modern weapons -- even modern small arms -- are designed to penetrate body armor. Kevlar and ceramic body armor is going to be much more effective than meat and scales. And if the assault rifles don't work, well, there are these.

if modern weapons don't work, there would seem to be some sort of magical element going on. Modern weapons -- even modern small arms -- are designed to penetrate body armor. Kevlar and ceramic body armor is going to be much more effective than meat and scales. And if the assault rifles don't work, well, there are these.
    Ah, but if the weapons don't work then we get to see people get eaten.

Ah, but if the weapons don't work then we get to see people get eaten.
    Hence the need for a good pair of running shoes. The body armor would only slow one down, so I would encourage people I don't like to wear it

I wouldn't say magical, because the interplay went "Bang-bang-bang" followed by "Roar! Chomp-chomp, Burp." That seemed fairly realistic. Exactly why they were wandering around with guns was beyond me.

Hence the need for a good pair of running shoes. The body armor would only slow one down, so I would encourage people I don't like to wear it
    "He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day." However, running from Utahraptor seems a bit futile, you'll only die tired.

"He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day." However, running from Utahraptor seems a bit futile, you'll only die tired.
    As the joke goes, "I don't have to outrun the bear. I only have to outrun you." In my case, I'm hoping for someone even more of a couch potato than me. Plus, I have bad knees.

As the joke goes, "I don't have to outrun the bear. I only have to outrun you." In my case, I'm hoping for someone even more of a couch potato than me. Plus, I have bad knees.
    Stand next to me, okay?

Stand next to me, okay?
    Are you particularly slow? I'm actually hoping for one of those people on My 600 lb Life....they'll keep a couple of velociraptors busy for a few minutes.

Are you particularly slow? I'm actually hoping for one of those people on My 600 lb Life....they'll keep a couple of velociraptors busy for a few minutes.
    That sounds like a bad idea. What if they ate whatever it was that was chasing you and then was very cross when they caught up with you?

Yeah, that's why I carry this big stick. Hard to run when your kneecap is broken. But you would get my sincere thanks.

I saw a film of an elephant cull. A man with an AK-47 on full auto killed an elephant that was so close it was *reaching* for him before he fired on it!

Even as far back as the Vietnam War AK's and other .30 caliber battle rifles were used to kill elephants. Rapidly too. (Pack elephants, sadly, are legit military targets.)
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)