Thread: Baader 5.0 Solar Film for Direct Eye viewing?

Baader 5.0 Solar Film for Direct Eye viewing?

I purchased some of Baader 5.0 Solar filter in preparation for the 2012 venus transit.

I have made a few solar glasses with the film, however, I have recently learned that 5.0 solar film does not meet the new requirements for direct eye viewing.

Since I am able to use this still with my telescope. Would I be able to place the film over sunglasses in order to safely view the sun?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by AutoBoof View Post
    I purchased some of Baader 5.0 Solar filter in preparation for the 2012 venus transit.

I have made a few solar glasses with the film, however, I have recently learned that 5.0 solar film does not meet the new requirements for direct eye viewing.

Since I am able to use this still with my telescope. Would I be able to place the film over sunglasses in order to safely view the sun?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I am confused. They make 3 different kinds of filters by that name (5.0 and 3.8) and one is ok to look through directly. However, even then they suggest that you have the item inspected before doing so. The other two are for optics and different applications. It seems that all of them meet current standards as of now for each appropriate use.

I would say, "call the manufacturer".

**Edit** It appears that there is a discrepancy between Amazon and Baader. Amazon is refunding people for these things claiming they don't meet standards. However, Baader is listing the standard their products meet in a pop up message. Apparently, they get are getting calls.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2017-Aug-14 at 08:41 PM.
    Solfe

Here's the link Baader provides to try to provide clarity.

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/en...up-in-the-usa/

On Sat, Aug 12, Amazon sent an email to all customers who had purchased a wide variety of solar products (glasses or viewing cards) from several of our US-dealers that the product they received may not be safe of certified, and they recommend that customers not use these items. The email states that "Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer." This is completely untrue and incorrect.
    ETA: Baader says the 5.0 is OK for direct visual observation. If the film you bought a few years ago was 5.0 then you should be OK.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2017-Aug-14 at 09:15 PM.