Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The Orville [potential spoilers]

If you're going to be all nitpicking, then:

In a culture where the astrological signs are believed to confer extreme advantages or disadvantages, wouldn't that culture be really careful when they have sex? Real life astrology isn't so extreme, so believers don't worry about it like that.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    It is just me, or has the show in Season 2 pretty much abandoned any pretense of action, science, space or technology in it plots?

Every ep has been between 80% and 100% about relationships of the crew. In several eps you'd never even know they were on a spaceship without the interstitial exterior shots of the Orville.
    Yes, I've counted three true bottle episodes so far this season. I wonder if that's another nod to Star Trek, since the term apparently traces back to the series.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yes, I've counted three true bottle episodes so far this season. I wonder if that's another nod to Star Trek, since the term apparently traces back to the series.
    Or, given the explanation from that link, maybe they have a "blockbuster" or two coming up later in the season they needed time/budget for? Hopefully?

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Just watched tonight's episode..... Earlier suspicion about Issac confirmed.

Don't stick Mr. Potato head pieces to your android science officers face.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Man, wrong night to wear my red shirt.

I’m glad part 2 is next week, and this wasn’t an end-of-season cliffhanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

At the risk of repeating myself --- Muhahahahahaha.....

How will they get out of this jam, Issac turn on his AI fellowship?............or better yet, turn off?
    Last edited by Spacedude; 2019-Feb-22 at 09:57 PM.

The scan seemed a bit long--almost TRON-digitized like.

The best we can hope for is that the crew of the Orville is subject to a great simulation to see if Earthlings are worthy.

My prediction is that there will be an "out" in the simulation, which allows the crew to somehow win, leaving Issac as a survivor.
    Will they finish him off?

Remember, he did say "You like me now."

A treaty will be signed, but Issac's relationship will not survive.

My guess is that the bones are real, but as a result of neutron bombs long ago between the factions of biologics, with the robots putting them all in one grave.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    The scan seemed a bit long--almost TRON-digitized like.

The best we can hope for is that the crew of the Orville is subject to a great simulation to see if Earthlings are worthy.

My prediction is that there will be an "out" in the simulation, which allows the crew to somehow win, leaving Issac as a survivor.
    Will they finish him off?

Remember, he did say "You like me now."

A treaty will be signed, but Issac's relationship will not survive.

My guess is that the bones are real, but as a result of neutron bombs long ago between the factions of biologics, with the robots putting them all in one grave.
    I'm not sure which way this will go.
    For all its faults, the one thing I've liked about The Orville is that they haven't shied away from difficult social issues with a quick, clean solution at the end of a thorny episode.
    So, I'd really be disappointed with an "its just a hallucination from that party drink" type of ending.

Regarding the "You like me now" speech I wrote it off as comic relief (See Sally Field's Oscar speech), but I guess it could have been foreshadowing.

As a side note, I realize it was necessary to move the plot along, but it bothered me that the Orville didn't contact their hosts when they discovered Ty was off-ship.

I place my bet on Issac (who is obviously out numbered) is just playing along with his AI comrades. After all they shut him down and weren't going to re-activate him until the Orville crew insisted. He had to drop the family drawing otherwise taking it back with him would draw suspicion. Meanwhile on the trip back to Earth he'll covertly tip off the crew and devise a way of transforming or reprogramming his fellow AIs to see things his way. In the end they'll all have blue eyes ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    As a side note, I realize it was necessary to move the plot along, but it bothered me that the Orville didn't contact their hosts when they discovered Ty was off-ship.
    Yeah, that was a little weird, as was there not being any guards or more likely, sensors, to warn the Kaylonians(?) that one of the pesky inferior biological lifeforms had departed their ship.

I'm a week behind but...

We know of at least two high-ranking officers who have left the Orville (Alara this season and the original Chief Engineer last season), and there's no doubt there were more during Isaac's stint on the ship. How did he not know what a going-away party is?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I see a picard like speech from Mercer to convince Issac and the other AI's or an alliance with the union and the rent-a-car worshippers.

A little of Spacedudes guess and mine. Really like I just the Krell worshiped Enterprise.

I guess now youtube will be filled with filled with people hating it because it is not what they wanted to see.

Oopsie, no blue eyes for the home team. Looks like a mutual enemy now for Earth & Krell, actually 2nd mutual enemies to include the uglier aliens the Krell ran across 2-3 episodes back. Issac has some fence mending ahead of him, an interesting twist about Issac being created after the genocide of the creators. All hail Avis!

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I see a picard like speech from Mercer to convince Issac and the other AI's or an alliance with the union and the rent-a-car worshippers.
    Nailed it.

What is nice is how hand gestures give the faceless androids personality, especially Issac.
    Named after Newton--not Asimov--as it turned out.
    Last edited by publiusr; 2019-Mar-01 at 07:47 PM.

Oh, man. In this week’s episode, I would have blown up the ship. When the doctor requested a nitrogen purge of the cabin, I would have flooded it with nitrogen.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Oh, man. In this week’s episode, I would have blown up the ship. When the doctor requested a nitrogen purge of the cabin, I would have flooded it with nitrogen.

LOL Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    LOL Ditto.
    I just realised that until I read the last two posts that is exactly what I thought they had done - even though they had explained nitrogen actually was the danger. I had visions of something like the end of Alien but using nitrogen. Maybe they need to make their commands clearer so dumb bunnies like me don't blow up the ship.

The Orville [potential spoilers]

At first, I thought the nitrogen purge was a way to kill the girl - and thought it was kind of harsh, yet more realistic than using technobabble sleeping gas.

The way the bad guy blew up the ships was full of holes, but better than where I thought the writers were going. I figured it was the old “weird alien girl has psychic abilities and made their heads explode” route.

ETA: fixed sleeping gas reference (apparently, anything in “less than/ greater than” brackets disappears.

Last edited by Extravoice; 2019-Mar-10 at 03:23 PM.

I almost felt sorry for Issac, guess he'll be out of the spot light for a while yet.

And in other loose ends...how’d they get the explosive girl off the ship? And where?

A weapon that ridiculously deadly would have been synthesized long ago. Or "cultivated" from hosts. I think it was a lazy route to take in order to make whatever point Seth felt he needed to with that episode. I was also surprised Mercer's girlfriend didn't have a role to play, but I applaud the writers' restraint in keeping her out of this one. As for the Kaylon assault episodes... strike Kaylon now while the iron's hot? Or are there too many left behind to defeat?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    And in other loose ends...how’d they get the explosive girl off the ship? And where?
    My wife and I have been watching/re-watching DS9 from the beginning and I was recently making similar observations and questions, as much as we are enjoying the series. There are many episodes where a plot to blow up the station, or start a war, or murder someone (and steal their symbiont), are stopped and we never see any resolution. What happens to the conspirators or murderers? How does Quark still run his bar, after what he's been involved with (that's been exposed)? Ah, all in the day of a Star Trek life...

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I was also surprised Mercer's girlfriend didn't have a role to play, but I applaud the writers' restraint in keeping her out of this one.

CJSF
    I must have missed an episode. What girlfriend? The only one I can think of was in episode 4 and you see how that turned out.

ETA: I guess you mean the time traveler Lavesque? I expect her to reappear this year. Interesting character and always good to see Charlize Theron in a role.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2019-Mar-10 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I must have missed an episode. What girlfriend? The only one I can think of was in episode 4 and you see how that turned out.

ETA: I guess you mean the time traveler Lavesque? I expect her to reappear this year. Interesting character and always good to see Charlize Theron in a role.
    No. His Krill girlfriend! I can't recall her name. She was on the Orville as an imposter. They had dates together. Movie nights. Gordon and Mercer befriended her as impostors on a Krill ship last season.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

Oh. Duh. Yeah that was Episode 4. And I’m glad they kept her out. If she was part of the plot I think it would have been out of character for her to show up in anything other than a hostile role. At least right now.

ETA: The krill female was named Teleya. Her Union name was Lt. Janel Tyler.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2019-Mar-11 at 04:58 AM.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Oh good god no. Seth MacFarlane is terrible at that and indeed at anything dramatic. He is the weakest part of the show. Kill him off and put Grayson in the captain's chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Oh good god no. Seth MacFarlane is terrible at that and indeed at anything dramatic. He is the weakest part of the show. Kill him off and put Grayson in the captain's chair.
    Two thumbs up. (I might even start watching again.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

They show Family Guy here just before The Orville.

This week had an amusing event of seeing the Orville (the ship) in cartoon form in Family Guy, then watching The Orville.

(Guess it could be argued to be in cartoon form then, too.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yeah, yeah, right, right. Okay.

I just don't want it cancelled, this is the same network that cancelled firefly.