Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville [potential spoilers]

Watched episode #3 tonite, it's growing on me.... like the other zany fox show "People of Earth".

There's a blog I read, foolish watcher, which covers all things television. The contributors also blog about specific shows. One of them held a poll to let readers decide which of the new shows she should be forced to follow (from a list of shows she did not want to follow). The Orville won. Hooray?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Well Orville looks like one few shows I like this season so it probably get cancelled. There a three shows that almost look identical all military dramas. Didn't find young Sheldon that good yet. Me, myself, and I, I actually like also the good doctor and discovery forgot about that because I probably won't be seeing much of it.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2017-Sep-28 at 01:00 PM.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I like Young Sheldon.

The actress who plays his mom is the daughter of the actress who plays his mom in TBBT. Neat casting.

And the actor who plays his dad played Leonard's high school bully in TBBT. Interesting casting.

We'll see how it plays out, but they do have a couple of problems. With three young actors they can't drag a-year-in-the-life out over three or four seasons. And Sheldon will be off to college soon, leaving his family and their dynamic behind.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I like Young Sheldon.
    One of the reasons I continue to watch TBBT, is that the Sheldon character keeps changing/evolving...so the problem I'm having with this prequel is that the character of Young Sheldon must remain static as to "abide" by what we already know...there can be no actual character development.

...Sheldon will be off to college soon...
    For the love of Kittens, don't give the producers any ideas.
    Last edited by R.A.F.; 2017-Sep-28 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added with...
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Well on the TBBT, they have as a visiting professor in Germany by 15 so he won't be in high school long.

....back on topic...

From what I've seen so far, I think The Orville is going to be more "Star Trek" than the new Star Trek Discovery.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    ....back on topic...

From what I've seen so far, I think The Orville is going to be more "Star Trek" than the new Star Trek Discovery.
    It's already more Trek than the "reboot" movies. But perhaps that's a pretty low bar.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    It's already more Trek than the "reboot" movies. But perhaps that's a pretty low bar.

CJSF

Well, I did catch a few lens flares in The Orville, but they certainly weren't as headache inducing as the multitude of lens flares in the first reboot.

Seriously, I can't re-watch 2009 without getting a head ache...

edit to add....13,500....woo hoo!!

...the multitude of lens flares...
    FYI...721 in 2009, and 826 in "into Darkness".

Yeah....someone actually counted.

I find that surprising; they seemed much more distracting in "2009". I don't hate the "new" Trek movies, but I tend to view them as action movies that use a Trek shell. The last one was better, overall. Maybe a skosh more Trekiness than the others. At least there was a marginally more original script.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

I could not imagine a world without night.

No ensuing panic when the sky suddenly tore open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Still playing catch-up with the episodes, and I just saw the 3rd episode, and that wasn't funny at all...

Don't expect funny. There is an occasional chuckle, but The Orville is not a comedy.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Is this on Netflix? The new Star Trek is. Only way I get TV. No TV licence because no aerial.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Don't expect funny. There is an occasional chuckle, but The Orville is not a comedy.

Star Trek with modern snark...and semi-rough language. And pretty darned good production quality. I do not miss a transporter as a plot device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow Liam Nession out of no where.
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

Quote Originally Posted by Mareykan View Post
    Wow Liam Nession out of no where.
    And this week - Charlize Theron.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Is this on Netflix? The new Star Trek is. Only way I get TV. No TV licence because no aerial.
    FOX Network. You can stream the shows with adverts. Here's episode 1:

https://www.fox.com/watch/2ae78a0e3d...00a8ad460b3ec/

I agree I might give up on the new Dsicovery show and stick around for Orvillle

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    ... I do not miss a transporter as a plot device.
    Except a transporter equivalent was the basis for episode 3. (And quite long range, too).

I like that transporters were put into Star Trek as Shuttles were too expensive to make and film; but now with CGI it's easier to have Shuttles (than it was) and the transporter isn't needed (as a replacement plot device). In a way, more technology in the production of the show, enabled less technology in the show.

I'm liking it. My main "issue" so far (yeah, I don't mind "Quantum drive") is that it's 400 years in the future and Kermit the Frog and late 20th/early 21st century reality T.V. is a go-to reference for someone. (With digital storage etc I can imagine them being available for viewing, but would someone use a 400 year old show for that purpose? Possibly I'm over thinking it.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yeah, yeah, right, right. Okay.

If it makes you feel better, you might think of what we're seeing as a translation of the "actual" events into a form we'd understand. After all, it's doubtful that they'd be speaking colloquial U.S. English, either.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I would completely agree, which in some ways surprises me. I would describe it as a modern ST:TOS as much as anything, down to the weekly moral message.

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    If it makes you feel better, you might think of what we're seeing as a translation of the "actual" events into a form we'd understand. After all, it's doubtful that they'd be speaking colloquial U.S. English, either.
    I think that is a excellent way to describe it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The captain and the first officer are good example of a couple who work well together but shouldn't not have been married.

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    That is how I see a lot shows from the future, but they could have kept out the friends reference in the last episode as far as I concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    ... My main "issue" so far (yeah, I don't mind "Quantum drive") is that it's 400 years in the future and Kermit the Frog and late 20th/early 21st century reality T.V. is a go-to reference for someone. (With digital storage etc I can imagine them being available for viewing, but would someone use a 400 year old show for that purpose? Possibly I'm over thinking it.)
    Possibly. As selden suggested, you can look at it as a translated version. After all, references to events more contemporaneous with the character's timeline would be lost on us. Previous Star Trek series, as well as other science fiction shows, often included references we would understand plus some added ones presumably referring to future (to us) events and people.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Except a transporter equivalent was the basis for episode 3. (And quite long range, too).
    It was? I thought it was about the sex change for Bortus's child? Where was a transporter involved?

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    It was? I thought it was about the sex change for Bortus's child? Where was a transporter involved?
    beaming the Captain and first officer to the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    beaming the Captain and first officer to the zoo.
    Ah yes, that's right but that was episode 2, not 3.