Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Star Trek Discovery (potential spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I liked the battle. Using lots of small fighters made more sense than a few large ships slugging it out. Of course, then you wonder why those fighters weren't used in later stories.
    In ST, larger warships have more power and stronger shields. That's why DS9's Defiant was such a problem child when first introduced, it was "too much ship" for its size.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

He who is patient obtains

Freeby News Alert! Star Trek Discovery is now showing as reruns on CBS regular cable, Thursdays at 10pm EST. Caught the first episode last Thursday, it refreshed my memory from when CBS aired it as a teaser 3 years ago. Finally some new Sci-Fi on TV, new to me anyways. Happy Viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I'm more surprised that English hasn't changed a lot more than just those words in 300 (or whatever) years.
    Two year reply!

The characters' speech (or subtitle) has to be understandable to the audience. So most TV shows just go with current speaking patterns of the intended viewer. Anything that uses future slang has to be intuitive to modern ears and go with the setting (Firefly did this well, but the Belter patois of Expanse leaves me glassy-eyed). Creating new words consistent with this principle would require a great deal of commitment to the concept.

Sometimes I look at a tech news-site and consider how many of the headlines would have been understandable without additional context two or three decades past. There have been days I’ve looked at, for instance, Ars Technica and decided none would have been. There sometimes can be too many references to new companies, new technologies and new terms.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Two year reply!

The characters' speech (or subtitle) has to be understandable to the audience. So most TV shows just go with current speaking patterns of the intended viewer. Anything that uses future slang has to be intuitive to modern ears and go with the setting (Firefly did this well, but the Belter patois of Expanse leaves me glassy-eyed). Creating new words consistent with this principle would require a great deal of commitment to the concept.

The Trek conceit is that you are viewing the events through a universal translator. If it works for alien languages it probably works for future English too.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    The Trek conceit is that you are viewing the events through a universal translator. If it works for alien languages it probably works for future English too.
    They could do an episode where the translator device breaks down, and the crewmembers find none of them are speaking the same language...

They could do an episode where the translator device breaks down, and the crewmembers find none of them are speaking the same language...
    Picard only speaks French, and his voice is nasal and annoying. He just has a really well programmed translator.

There was an episode of Star Trek Discovery where that happened. Its actually a pretty good bit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIKppXg0sYw
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    There was an episode of Star Trek Discovery where that happened. Its actually a pretty good bit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIKppXg0sYw
    Good to know that I think like a TV writer! ....I think.