Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery (potential spoilers)

The f-bomb is something that didn't add anything to the show.
    I think the point of sending discovery is that it is the only ship that can do it, plus it probably be bad if the person overlooking the project is captured and give away all your secrets,
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

A dark, pessimistic vision of the future peppered with kid-unfriendly language? Roddenberry must be churning in his urn.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

The difference between Orville and Discovery is that Orville has the upbeat feel of the original Star Trek and some of the story lines are from the Star Trek but can't use the copyrighted stuff from Star Trek. Discovery can use the copyrighted stuff but is off script. I wish whoever wrote this new trek kind of did something like Orville that is just make a whole new franchise out of it. There could be an argument that it took a lot of work to get the era of Kirk but maybe they should of pushed back the dates of discovery to about half way between Enterprise and TOS. There are rumors that there the alternate Star Trek universe will show up I wonder how that will play out.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    I really want to watch Orville now. Where can it be watched?

fox.com, Hulu, YouTube, Amazon ... https://www.google.com/search?source....0.zPyxjlT-4Dw
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Not available in the UK. It needs to come soon though to brighten the mood. This Star Trek Discovery is so depressing it's a good thing guns are also unavailable in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Not available in the UK. It needs to come soon though to brighten the mood. This Star Trek Discovery is so depressing it's a good thing guns are also unavailable in the UK.
    Does it have to be new or live action? Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star

Does it have to be sci-fi? Bob's Burgers
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

The experiment has been a success, because news has just dropped that CBS is renewing Star Trek: Discovery. The show, which was used as a tentpole to launch CBS' All Access streaming service, has been enough of a success to justify a second season of episodes. ...
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/star-...135800843.html
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Meanwhile, over in BizarroWorld, Federation Officers drop the F-bomb.
    That was refreshing. Hearing normal talk instead of <beep>. I'm not a baby, my kids aren't babies. They can deal with words.

I do like the series, so far. I like the darkness. I wasn't waiting for another repeat of more of the same of more of the past. Not perfect though. I'm aware Star Trek has some history in trying to combat bigotry, and it feels like they wanted to do a whole lot more of it in this series. A great initiative, bigotry lowers humanity, but it seems so ... forced. It doesn't come naturally from the story. It's like some producer said: "oh wait, put in a bit more LGBT equality, I don't care how, just do it!", after everything was already recorded and edited.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

The latest was the first episode I actually actively liked. The tone was more balanced. The lead came off as more engaging.

And we find out why the captain is a borderline psycho. James Frain is a great Sarek too.

As for the F-bomb, well they got an S-word out of Data, so....

Anyhoo. I'm enjoying this, for what it is. Keep having to remind myself that, compared to the first seasons of TNG and DS9, this is gold.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    ... they got an S-word out of Data, so....
    They did??

yep. In the first TNG movie.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

yep. In the first TNG movie.
    Yes. So that isn't a selling point.

And we find out why the captain is a borderline psycho. James Frain is a great Sarek too.

As for the F-bomb, well they got an S-word out of Data, so....

Anyhoo. I'm enjoying this, for what it is. Keep having to remind myself that, compared to the first seasons of TNG and DS9, this is gold.
    TNG point taken. DS9, only in the unlikely event Discovery pulls off something equivalent to Duet. This is highly unlikely given that Duet is the greatest thing to have ever carried the name Star Trek.

Doesn't look like a D-7 to me.

Nothing I've seen of "STD" (LOL), has led me to believe I made a poor choice in not watching it. Not even the white male privileged and Sinophobic comparison review of it to The Orville I watched the other day on YouTube : puke :

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

hatewatching star trek: discovery

I really wanted to like the new star trek series.... but imho it is just awful.
    Not awful because it doesn't mesh with other series/tv but just awful.
    AWFUL SCRIPT
    AWFUL CHARACTERS
    DUMB IDEAS
    BAD ACTORS... oher than Michael and the Captain.

they really jumped the shark when they brought out the giant tardigrade feeding on interstellar mycelium.. and somehow powering the ship. What's wrong with inventing dilithium crystals and leaving it at that?

pu-leeeez... palm to forehead.

is it only me?

it feels like it was written for 10yr olds.... but then why the gratuitous f-bombs??
    "It's only a model....?" :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dZl3yfGpc

Tardigrages love to power ships

last 2 posts moved from a new thread in OTB... (while this thread was the topmost thread in SMAL for 2 days.)

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by plant View Post

they really jumped the shark when they brought out the giant tardigrade feeding on interstellar mycelium.. and somehow powering the ship. What's wrong with inventing dilithium crystals and leaving it at that?

is it only me?
    me too! at least they did not use 'tribble' drive

Quote Originally Posted by lbfjrmd View Post
    me too! at least they did not use 'tribble' drive
    Don't count your chickens yet.
    Tribbles're in the works.

Never mind Discovery, The Expanse is pretty good. I might have to skip the usual Discovery Tuesday tomorrow. Won't be skipping Apprentice Thursday though. Gives you an idea of the pecking order.

I didn't skip Discovery night and that's good. This latest episode is really neat. It is lifting shamelessly from 'Cause and Effect' but I'm not complaining.

Sigh. Did they have to have Mudd say "Mon Capitan"? Do they really think they have the next Q?

Stephen Colbert.

Ooh do sense The Enterprise Incident being copied?

And are they engaging in perfidy again. Those wacky Federation types and their war crimes.

The second half season has started well. I've actually been pleased with the episodes. Also, it's lovely to have Michelle Yeoh back.

Lost interest.

The more I watch, the more I wonder why they didn't just set it after TNG, rather than before TOS. They're not insisting on keeping the technology appropriate, they're not insisting on staying within canon (they've even screwed up the Mirror Universe canon, for pete's sake), and the only established characters they've used (Sarek, Harry Mudd) have been different enough that nobody would've thought twice if they'd just given them original names.

It's not a bad show, as such, but they really should've just put it in Trek's future instead of its past.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

There seems to be a phobia of moving Trek history beyond the current window. Not sure what is causing it, but it may be because they can't come up with a decent setting.

Sigh. There are times I wish I could have been assertive enough to break into Hollywood. I've spent decades plotting the Trek universe into the future in my head...

Stephen Colbert.