Thread: Best game ever

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here

Re: Best game ever

Quote Originally Posted by Glom

Pure genius. BA, any chance we can sticky this one?

To heck with the games. I am still trying to pronounce those three words. #-o

That was neat, didn't crash until mission 3.

8) Cooooooool

I got to the 3 probe mission. (mission 5?). I stopped because I don't have time for this Nice game though!!
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

I'm sure Candy already has the smilie in the spaceship icon. :wink:

Cool game! A couple of flaws, though:

1. If you hit the planet at a low speed, you bounce off. That's fine, but you always bounce in the exact opposite direction you were traveling before, no matter what angle you struck at. That's pretty weird.

2. My computer is rather slow. I found that mission 3 is basically impossible on my computer, but becomes doable if I choose the "low detail" option from the game menu. Apparently the timer doesn't slow down as much as the game mechanics!

Also, shouldn't the craft rotate as you orbit the planet?

Quote Originally Posted by W.F. Tomba
    Cool game! A couple of flaws, though:

1. If you hit the planet at a low speed, you bounce off. That's fine, but you always bounce in the exact opposite direction you were traveling before, no matter what angle you struck at. That's pretty weird.
    Yeah -- I suspect they did that to make the game harder, at the expense of the conservation of angular momentum. If it bounced you in the direction you were traveling, then you could bounce your way to the landing spot, staying well away from the Roche-limit defying death moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas
    No, the craft shouldn't. Presuming, of course, that the single engine was always perfectly aligned with the craft's center of gravity, then there is never any off-center thrust to cause rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by pghnative
    No, the craft shouldn't. Presuming, of course, that the single engine was always perfectly aligned with the craft's center of gravity, then there is never any off-center thrust to cause rotation.
    When the shuttle orbiter orbits earth, it's bay is always poointing to the center of the earth (in most missions). Does that mean they have to give corrections to maintain this orientation?

When the shuttle orbiter orbits earth, it's bay is always poointing to the center of the earth (in most missions). Does that mean they have to give corrections to maintain this orientation?
    Theoretically, once you set up the necessary rotation rate, you wouldn't need to correct it (ala Luna). I'm no expert on the shuttle, but I'd expect that the occasional correction is necessary.

Re: Best game ever

Quote Originally Posted by Glom
    A truer game would give you more time, but limit you on fuel. The ability to completely reverse directions multiple times isn't realistic.

Of course, the game would be much slower paced, and probably much less interesting to most web surfers, even those with an astronomy bent.

By the way, was I the only one who found the next to last mission (three satellite recovery) much more difficult than the very last one?

Theoretically, once you set up the necessary rotation rate, you wouldn't need to correct it (ala Luna). I'm no expert on the shuttle, but I'd expect that the occasional correction is necessary.
    Thanks for the info. I just assumed for some unclear reason that orbiting objects turned automatically without any prior rotation rate. But this kind of positional stability is only true for craft specifically designed to use the gravity gradient for orientation (long booms attached).

Site produces a popunder that gets past Konqueror's blocker.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    The collisions are annoying because they are super-elastic. You bounce off with more kinetic energy than you started with.

I think the three satellite mission is the hardest too.

I got lucky on the 3 sat mission. On the second try, just as I grabbed the last satellite, the moon came on the screen. I wouldn't have had any time to rotate and thrust out of the way. I didn't touch the controls and as I fell toward the planet the moon passed by with nary a pixel to spare.

I am having trouble with the mission that has the USS enterprise with a beer bottle on it in the briefing though. I can't play anymore today. Does anyone know how many missions there are?

Quote Originally Posted by tofu
    I got lucky on the 3 sat mission. On the second try, just as I grabbed the last satellite, the moon came on the screen. I wouldn't have had any time to rotate and thrust out of the way. I didn't touch the controls and as I fell toward the planet the moon passed by with nary a pixel to spare.

I am having trouble with the mission that has the USS enterprise with a beer bottle on it in the briefing though. I can't play anymore today. Does anyone know how many missions there are?
    The one with the Enterprise and the beer bottle is the last one.

woot! I finished! Looks like doodler beat me though.