Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has seen the elusive planet Mercury ?

I saw it tonight. it was about 6:50 PM in St Louis.

Maybe I'll take my camera with me tomorrow.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Saw it at 6:20pm CST in Milwaukee. I'll look for it tomorrow, which will probably be the last good chance as the weather is expected to turn bad for the weekend.

The BA said:
    It's only being removed from the labs. They'll probably keep it in the textbooks... with a disclaimer.
    I still have a five pound flask of it (Hg). Stored next to my beta-low gamma sources. Good shielding plus it is 50 meters from the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Mechanic
    Saw it at 6:20pm CST in Milwaukee. I'll look for it tomorrow, which will probably be the last good chance as the weather is expected to turn bad for the weekend.

Hey, I just saw it around 7 pm mountain time. It's the only "star" up there in that position, so seeing it after sunset should be easy. I waited until it was almost dark, but the western horizon was still a little bright and rosy.

Anyone wanting to see it, go to:

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing...icle_110_1.asp

The moon is not in that position yet, but it should be tomorrow.

I just got a good look at it... and some great pix! I have a new camera, and it has a self-timer and a shutter that opens for up to 30 seconds, so that's nice. No tripod, but the top of the van does well.

Here is a thumbnail of the shot. Click it to get a bigger picture:

The full-res image rocks, but it's 2.5 Mb, so I won't be posting it here. Got a nice shot of Orion, too... well, his top half. I need to get a tripod! But this is fun. Hmmm... I need two tripods, so I can do some afocal shots through my binocs. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bad Astronomer
    I just got a good look at it... and some great pix! I have a new camera, and it has a self-timer and a shutter that opens for up to 30 seconds, so that's nice. No tripod, but the top of the van does well.
    I brightened your picture up a little. Hope you don't mind.

LINK

I have a new camera...
    OK...I'm curious. What model camera did you get??

I like it better darker, actually. The colors are richer. :-)

The camera is a Sony Cybershot with 5 Mpix. I didn't want so many pixels (4 is fine by me) but the 4 Mpix cameras don't have the features I want. I researched the heck outta this. Anyway, it was more than I wanted to spend, but I was given a camera for Christmas that broke within a few days (at TAMIII, grrr) so I traded it in. I think it's a fantastic camera. My favorite feature: when you hit the on button, it turns on immediately. My old camera waited at least two seconds to turn on, and I missed a lot of shots (like bats in Australia, grrrr again).

I took some shots a few minutes ago of Orion and Saturn, but they aren't as nice. Oh well.

This evening the new Moon will be just three and a half degrees from Mercury. Should make a nice photo!

Quote Originally Posted by Eroica
    This evening the new Moon will be just three and a half degrees from Mercury. Should make a nice photo!
    It will do if the cloud breaks enough to get a decent view. Looks a bit iffy just now and sunset is due in 13 mins.

...it has a self-timer and a shutter that opens for up to 30 seconds...

...when you hit the on button, it turns on immediately.
    Sounds like a sweet camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Eroica
    I'll be taking a look tonight...we do have a number of very tall trees just west of us that may block the view.

Well, this could have been so much better but between dodging snow flurries, a howling wind, (and, if you look at the full view, those clouds hurtling in from the North), it was the best I managed. Had no time to faff about and the focus is a bit off Pity because the earthshine on the moon was very distinct and while I had the chance it was a lovely view. Never mind - I'm sure you can all do better!

full view (1Mb)

Lovely clear skies here;
    saw the fast little planet while out walking the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by frogesque
    Never mind - I'm sure you can all do better!
    Not with my decrepit camera but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Had no time to faff about...
    Hey! I think I just learned a new word! :wink:

I'm sure you can all do better!
    Actually, it's not that bad at all. Is it my imagination or can I see the cresent of Mercury in your picture??

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F.
    Had no time to faff about...
    Hey! I think I just learned a new word! :wink:

I'm sure you can all do better!
    Actually, it's not that bad at all. Is it my imagination or can I see the cresent of Mercury in your picture??
    Going by the clearer pics I took the other night it's an image artefact. I had hoped to get the telephoto on but by the time I'd changed lenses that cloud was total.

Concise Oxford Dictionary - Eighth edition, reprinted 1990, IBSN 0-19-861243-5 thumb index.
    faff v. & n. Brit colloq. - v.intr (often foll. by around, about) fuss, dither. - n. a fuss. [imit.]
    :wink:

This is the best I could muster from tonight's photo-op. Shame, cause the conditions were quite good.

A new camera unburdened by nyctophobia has moved to position #1 on my stuff-to-get list. ](*,)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine
    This is the best I could muster from tonight's photo-op. Shame, cause the conditions were quite good.
    That's a very good picture.

Heh, you should have seen it before subtracting a darkframe.

Don't beat yourself Wolverine, not a bad pic. I blew my chance the other night, it was relatively clear here in the 'Burgh (always a rarity) and I was too busy. Been snowy ever since..

I did see Mercury before, but it is a "catch" .. especially where I is .. :-?

Heh, you should have seen it before subtracting a darkframe.
    Maybe next time you can use your flash so you can have the whole moon lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer17
    Don't beat yourself Wolverine, not a bad pic.
    I appreciate it, just sick of potentially fantastic moments slipping through my fingers due to inadequate equipment. Anyone want to buy a guitar or three so I can go get a Rebel? 8-[

Hmmm, Wolv's look a lot like mine...

Don't they make a nice couple? The second picture was taken a few minutes after the first, with a longer exposure time (but a smaller aperture). Note that Mercury is blurred due to the Earth's rotation, but I wanted a good earthshine image of the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer17
    Don't beat yourself Wolverine, not a bad pic.
    I appreciate it, just sick of potentially fantastic moments slipping through my fingers due to inadequate equipment. Anyone want to buy a guitar or three so I can go get a Rebel? 8-[
    Yes!

Well, here's my "attempt"...

...darn TREES!!

R.A.F., think of trees as ways of artistically enhancing the picture. Without them, there wouldn't be a sense of scale. Separating the Moon and Mercury that way is prettier!

Or use the sure-fire tree removal method.

A new camera unburdened by nyctophobia has moved to position #1 on my stuff-to-get list. ](*,)
    Nice pic =D> =D> Interesting to see the effect of different time and location.

I've seen mercury naked eye and with an aid (11" Smit-cass). And through my 8". Colourful blob.

I was beginning to think the clouds would spoil this entire apparition, but they cleared away last night to give me a lovely glimpse of Mercury next to the merest sliver of New Moon. Beautiful!