Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Marketing Spin

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    And leaves just enough resistant survivors that can go on to evolve into something more deadly.
    The survivors of future plagues will look back on this time as the Antibiotic Age, or the Time of Germ Breeding.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I’m in the market for a new push lawnmower, and came across one where you “never need to change the oil for the life of the engine.”

I guess that’s technically true of any gasoline engine.
    How do you mean, in the sense of "you can spend your entire life without breathing"? Of course engines that run on oil/fuel mix wouldn't, but those with a separate oil system do. Some advertise a system where you only need to top up the oil, not change the entire contents. I only hope that is not because it consumes oil at a high rate. On a good old Briggs&straton or other common gasoline lawn tool engine, you are supposed to change the oil every now and then. Though many people have been using "just top up" already for decades without real issues; apparently those engines can take it quite well.

Which reminds me, I have to check the tiller's oil level and change the oil on the wife's car.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2019-May-22 at 01:26 PM.

Yes, the fact that the engine consumes oil is now considered a feature.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...k-and-add.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The survivors of future plagues will look back on this time as the Antibiotic Age, or the Time of Germ Breeding.
    "Antibiotics found in some of the world’s rivers exceed ‘safe’ levels, global study finds"

https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-even...worlds-rivers/

Researchers looked for 14 commonly used antibiotics in rivers in 72 countries across six continents and found antibiotics at 65% of the sites monitored.
    Metronidazole, which is used to treat bacterial infections including skin and mouth infections, exceeded safe levels by the biggest margin, with concentrations at one site in Bangladesh 300 times greater than the ‘safe’ level.

I just saw a TV commercial for a medicine to prevent blood clots. It claimed that 98% of people who took the product didn’t have a repeat blood clot.

Without information regarding repeat clots for people who took the competitor’s product (or none at all), the statistic is useless.

That does not sound prescription free. Why do they advertise for it publicly anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    That does not sound prescription free. Why do they advertise for it publicly anyway?
    Because people ask their doctors. In almost any of these commercials, you'll hear something like "Ask your doctor about [fill in here]" or "Ask your doctor if [fill in here] is right for you."

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Because here in the USA, drug companies are allowed to advertise prescription medications direct to consumers. It's not a great situation.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Because here in the USA, drug companies are allowed to advertise prescription medications direct to consumers. It's not a great situation.
    I have seen those and the “small print” often includes horrible side effects including death, which surely is a turn off?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

They are legally required to include ALL possible side effects regardless of their probability, without actually explaining the probability. So "runny nose" gets listed along with "cancer", without context.

There used to be three types of TV commercials for prescription meds, which I'll call types A, B, and C.
    Type A would talk about the medical condition and say "ask your doctor", but not name the medication.
    Type B would name the medication, but not say what condition it was used for.
    Type C would name both the medication and the condition, but would then have to list all the side effects.

Companies figured out the could run a type A, put some other commercial in between, then run a type B with same music and actors. That got cracked down on and we now have only type C. Having none at all would probably be better. The products being advertised are typically VERY expensive.

ETA: One of the more heavily advertised drugs is Humira. Only $5410.25 with a discount card.

I actually looked at one of those ubiquitous e-mail offers, and got this ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	offer.PNG 
Views:	35 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	24403

Unless No Coupons Left is a winning number, I've had better offers.

On the bright side: within 5 days, you'll be showered with coupons.

A few months ago I bought a pair of shoes for aerobic power walking at a nearby athletic wear store, after a cheap pair from a department store were hurting my feet. The athletic wear store did a high-tech measurement of my feet under load and fitted me with a pair of shoes that are perfect. They are not cheap, but others had advised me not to skimp on shoes, especially considering my age (71) and diabetes. Ever since I have been bombarded with email ads for all sorts of non-essential stuff. I am not interested in gussied-up athletic attire. I just needed a pair of shoes that did not hurt my feet.

Marketing Spin has that scenario covered as well. In case you don't "need" anything, here is a whole list of things "you might be interested in".

Marketing Spin has that scenario covered as well. In case you don't "need" anything, here is a whole list of things "you might be interested in".
    Why not? Marketing is all about turning interest into need, then filling that need.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Exactly, it's their job. They should just smarten up a bit with the algorithms. If I just bought a washing machine, the chances that I might be interested in 6 other washing machines are petite. Spam me with washing powder, clotheslines, tumble driers and clothspins, and I just might decide I need one of those.

This could have been posted in the “Things I don’t get “ thread.

A major insurer is running a line of TV commercials where they say they can “help” with renter’s insurance.

I’m sure there is a reason for the odd wording, but it eludes me.

Maybe they mean there are people who normally can't get insurance because of low income, but they have a formula for them?
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Just saw the new "replacement" Peloton ad on TV. It was a typical high-intensity exercise machine commercial... starring a guy. Because of course, that solves the problem with the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Just saw the new "replacement" Peloton ad on TV. It was a typical high-intensity exercise machine commercial... starring a guy. Because of course, that solves the problem with the old one.
    I thought the whole kerfuffle was pretty funny, especially that gin commercial that played on it. My main concern is that I would not pay that much for a fixed exercise bike with much of the functionality based on a hefty monthly fee.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Sometimes you get a product that needs no marketing spin. People will throw money at you to get it, no matter how you advertise it. Like these things.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/cnn-u...derscoredHP2.0
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Sometimes you get a product that needs no marketing spin. People will throw money at you to get it, no matter how you advertise it. Like these things.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/cnn-u...derscoredHP2.0
    The force, Yoda ad medium is.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

One born every minute!

I just spotted a TV commercial for a drug to treat “irritable bowel syndrome with constipation”. It claims to eliminate “belly pain”.

“Belly” seems to be an odd choice of word. The only people I know who use that term are small children.

I just spotted a TV commercial for a drug to treat “irritable bowel syndrome with constipation”. It claims to eliminate “belly pain”.

“Belly” seems to be an odd choice of word. The only people I know who use that term are small children.

Its shorter than "abdominal" and everyone knows what it means.

I must know a lot of delayed adolescents, I hear it from adults too.

Besides, where would we be without Pork Bellies!

In my experience, small children use the word "tummy".

"...it's a mystery, and I don't like mysteries. They give me a bellyache and I got a beauty right now." - Captain James T. Kirk
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I just received a flyer in the mail. It says that I should attend a dinner and presentation about how corona virus-induced market volatility could affect my retirement planning