Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Project Blue Book 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you meant to say that technological progress is limited by the imagination. I agree about science fiction, but I thought we were discussing reality here.
    I forgive you, oh shallow one.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It's expensively out of print these days, but you can read it online here. The small number of illustrations are at the back.

Grant Hutchison
    What would the closed minded community do without the input of your infinite wisdom, Grant? You truly are a sensation.

You ought to realize that you canít win arguments by throwing insults at people.

People are pointing out to more detailed information about cases you brought up. If you are genuinely interested in the truth I would think you would be interested in reading.
    [language], sweetheart.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2018-Jan-03 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Masked language

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    About 10 years after the Phoenix Lights event occured the former Arizona governor Fife Symington came out and said that he saw it too, but that he felt it best to try and defuse the public excitement so he pulled the rubber alien stunt/press conference to calm fears, which kinda backfired. He's sorry that he did that and today stands by the other witnesses as it being a huge solid object, he's ex-air force so being confused by airplanes seems remote. Easy to youtube his interviews on the topic if interested. The governor could have been just as delusional as the rest of them, except of course, the one guy with the telescope ;-)
    Kudos spacedude

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy987 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison
    The Cahill case is a type specimen for one source of frustration that sceptics have with the UFO scene, however. The story echoing from one blogger to the next seems compelling, but the closer you push to primary sources, the less compelling the evidence becomes, until finally one is left with a source who claims to know much more, to be in possession of answers to all the questions ... but for various not-entirely-coherent reasons is completely unable to provide this information.

After a while it's just difficult to be interested any more.

Grant Hutchison
    Translation: you employed google in the last few hours and your mind is still a clam. Colour me shocked.
    Google is great - back in the day it used to be a nightmare tracking down original sources in little mimeographed magazines. But my Google work on this one actually dates from 2016, for reasons given above. Well, sorta-kinda given above - the X-Files mention of the case reopened a discussion I'd been having.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Kudos spacedude
    Hey! Debunkers, closed minded [language]and Philip Klass cheerleaders..... I'm outa here...... Bye.........
    Last edited by slang; 2018-Jan-03 at 06:35 AM. Reason: language

But I'll be back. After full disclosure. Watch this space.

Jayutah, tim printy, Slang, and all the other [language], your boys are about to take a hell of a beating.......
    Last edited by slang; 2018-Jan-03 at 06:28 AM. Reason: language

But I'll be back. After full disclosure. Watch this space.

Jayutah, tim printy, Slang, and all the other [language], your boys are about to take a hell of a beating.......
    We'll be here.

And I'll save an extra bit of humble pie for Gillian Rens, the frustrated [insult].
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2018-Jan-03 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Insulting language

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    We'll be here.
    I'll hold you to that!!!

We'll be here.
    This is my 5th incarnation. Trust me, there will be a sixth.

​Thread closed pending clean up.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

The troll has been banned, he's had his little fun and can be ignored now.

Thread reopened for discussion of the original topic of this thread: the new 'disclosure'.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Just know that, if the promised disclosure would lead to nothing in the coming months, I'll have my "Bigelow alien warehouse went up in thin air as if it were an inflatable space habitat" joke ready.

What I still do not know, is: was the video officially released by the government? And if yes: where is the reference?
    Last edited by gzhpcu; 2018-Jan-03 at 12:33 PM.

Just to give an alternative angle to this subject, I read an article in the newspaper today. Rather sensationalist/popular newspaper. But a very objective article. The article was about the yearly report of the Belgian UFO hotline. This is a non-governmental association that investigates any incoming report of UFO sightings in Belgium. They do so in an open-minded, scientific way. In other words: they try to determine what it is, keep clear records of all analyses, and if they can't find an explanation they conclude "sighting not explained". Which is disctinctly different from the other qualifier "insufficient information in report" for very vague sighting reports.

To give you some statistics: they get about 100-350 sighting reports per year. The vast majority of them can be explained (space debris and meteor trails are often the culprit these days), a minor part (last year 3 in 132) are shown to be false reports, some reports have insufficient data. And over the years, "a handful" of reports (so let's say 5 in 2000 reports over 10 years) are well documented but failed to be explained.

Both the article and to association show a healthy approach to UFO reports. It gives a proper indication of the extent of the mystery behind all these sightings. So the bulk of them are mundane, and a few are in the interesting "well documented, no explanation found" category. Interesting no matter what the reality behind them ultimately turns out to be.

Other interesting remark: the hotline notices they get a lot more photo's and video's in the reports compared to earlier years.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2018-Jan-03 at 12:56 PM.

Almost everyone has a smart phone nowadays. Surprising that quality is no better..

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It's expensively out of print these days, but you can read it online here. The small number of illustrations are at the back.
    Thanks. It shows 175 pages, though this may be a hardcover version since the paperback version shows 340 pages. A picture of the equilateral triangle would plug a thousand words coming from this void.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Thanks. It shows 175 pages, though this may be a hardcover version since the paperback version shows 340 pages. A picture of the equilateral triangle would plug a thousand words coming from this void.
    For all it's interesting, we'd need to move to another thread to continue this discussion. We're strictly back to the OP here.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

With moderator approval I don't mind my thread wandering a bit as long as the posts are related either in general or specific to the ufo issue. If others wish to post about other sightings that's fine by me. Thx for the "kudos" but I won't deserve any until I solve the ufo riddle ;-). Unlike you Jonesy (assuming you can still read this?) I would be very surprised if anything comes out of the original story within a few months or a few years from now, or ever for that matter. There's not a whole lot of difference from what happens concerning other similar stories of the past as they collect dust and get filed into the "not enough evidence" file.

I don't think anybody has posted this. It's not really that much of a reputable source, but apparently the video was not released by the Pentagon, but rather by the former official, who initially claimed he wanted to release it for "pilot training" or something like that.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird...-release-video
    As above, so below

I don't think anybody has posted this. It's not really that much of a reputable source, but apparently the video was not released by the Pentagon, but rather by the former official, who initially claimed he wanted to release it for "pilot training" or something like that.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird...-release-video
    This seems to match the story in the link that gzhpcu posted earlier: https://www.salon.com/2017/12/23/is-...report/?page=1
    According to a Washington Post report, the aforementioned UFO stalwart behind the program, Luis Elizondo, had “quietly arranged to release” the secret Pentagon videos showing pilots’ encounters with unidentified flying objects. But after arranging that release and resigning from his post, Elizondo joined a for-profit company called To the Stars Academy of Arts and Sciences, which the Post characterizes as a “private company” that “specializes in promoting UFO research for scientific and entertainment purposes.”
    I have a certain sympathy with American government officials who say that a department named the Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program wasn't actually investigating alien spacecraft, and with how they might not be entirely on board with Luis Elizondo's avowed agenda.
    And my immediate reaction to an organization that calls itself the To the Stars Academy of Arts and Sciences is that they need a media consultant. Badly. That is simply the worst brand name since records began. You'd cross the road to slap them, wouldn't you?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

"Promoting UFO research for scientific and entertainment purposes." I wonder what their priorities are? Science or entertainment?

"Promoting UFO research for scientific and entertainment purposes." I wonder what their priorities are? Science or entertainment?
    Scientertainment. It's the Next Big Thing.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

This kind of sums is up nicely... https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/20...ill-to-believe

Thx for that article gzhpcu. On the side bar there was another one about Fermi and his question "Where is everybody" this excerpt :

"In 1950, the great physicist Enrico Fermi asked a similar question: "Where is everybody?" he asked a few friends during lunch at the Los Alamos cafeteria. A simple calculation shows that our galaxy is old enough for a civilization that emerged a bit before us (a few million years) to have colonized the entire galaxy..."

Other posters have posted the same question too. I can't help but wonder what were Fermi's and others expectations? How did they anticipate the manner in which this question would be answered?

Among other references, the biographical Wikipedia article on Enrico Fermi includes a link to an article containing reminiscences about the lunch when Fermi and some friends discussed the "Paradox". As best I can determine, they weren't even thinking about how to improve their numbers. It was primarily an amusing conversational topic, not a proposal for a research project. See https://fas.org/sgp/othergov/doe/lanl/la-10311-ms.pdf
    Selden

Weird. Big hullabalo, now nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Weird. Big hullabalo, now nothing.
    Or. Not weird at all.

It seems that the disclosure has been put off yet again.
    As above, so below