Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tooth Questions.. I am so scaired...

Tooth Questions.. I am so scaired...

I need to know, If I had four of my permanent back teeth removed, Could I have fake ones put in? And how painful would that be afterwords? I mean, If they put me to sleep in each case. I am scaired to death over this

You wouldn't need fake ones, since no one can see your back teeth anyway. I had all my wisdom teeth out when I was about 16, and the only really bad part was the afternoon after the operation, when my mouth was still numb from the anesthetic and I was drooling blood and saliva. But there was never much pain and I was eating normal food again within three days.

But I'm going to be put to sleep Im thinking of after I wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin Vegeta
    But I'm going to be put to sleep Im thinking of after I wake up.
    I know; I meant there wasn't much pain even afterward, probably because of all the drugs they gave me. I was floating on a cloud of painkillers for a while.

It won't hurt after the pain has passed!

Seriously, if you have a good dentist you will be fine, as a child I had a sadist but the guy I see now is great - I tell him I am alergic to pain and he isn't stingy with the novacain! (He doen't hurt me and I don't rip his throat out! )

Dude, you're not the first person to have their wisdom teeth out. Granted it's pretty radical surgery but it's done all the time. Relax.

Quote Originally Posted by jt-3d
    Dude, you're not the first person to have their wisdom teeth out. Granted it's pretty radical surgery but it's done all the time. Relax.

That's good advice, I was (am) a nervous patient (victim) as soon as the dentist started with the tools in my mouth I got nervous and gripped the chair arms hard enough to leave marks afterwards. Then I found that if I made myself relax and reduce the death grip on the chair it helped a lot. (I also found that concentrating on the err... "physical atributes" of the dental nurse helped take my mind off things as well )

He didn't say they were his wisdom teeth.

Depending on what dental insurance plan you have, you can get a bridge or a transplant. My dental coverage covers bridges only, which doesn't make any sense. They cost the same to do.

I don't notice my bridge at all, except when food gets stuck under the 'bridge'. There is special dental wax for this which is very necessary. My co-worker's wife got an infection for not cleaning her teeth (bridge). :-?

You never specified. Are the 4 coming out your wisdom teeth? If so, no big deal. You wake up, swollen, sore, drooling, but not a lot of pain as long as you take it easy on the chewing for a while and take the pain medication.

I had all four taken at once when I was 18, and they were deeply impacted. Aside from being a bit messy, no big deal.

And why is your dentist not talking to you about this?

If they are wisdom teeth, should we explain to him why 'we' don't need wisdom teeth? Therefore, no need for transplants. 8-[

As long as explaining why we do not need wisdom teeth doesn't turn into another evolution thread.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjumperdon
    As long as explaining why we do not need wisdom teeth doesn't turn into another evolution thread.

If these are your wisdom teeth, you don't need them. I had mine out years ago and I'm still just as smart as before. :wink:

My extractions (all four at the same time) were done under a general... sodium pentathol. The guy who invented it should be knighted or sainted or something. Go-o-o-o-od stuff.

Afterward, only a dull ache, no sharp pain. I took aspirins and kept a wet tea bag in the sockets to reduce the bleeding (minimal anyway). Your mouth will feel miserable for a while, but you'll survive.

If these are not your wisdoms, you will want to replace them if only to keep your other teeth in place and make chewing more "balanced." Implants would probably be best.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Been there, survived that. Its painful, I won't lie to you. You'll feel like a cheek stuffed gerbil for a week or two, but it does pass. If you think that pain is annoying, let your wisdom teeth come in impacted and compare notes. Its a blessing to be rid of them.

Funny thing is, not everyone gets wisdom teeth. I only developed three of them.

If they're not his wisdom teeth, he might also be having them pulled as part of orthodontic work, in which case replacing them with anything would defeat the purpose. It all depends on why they're coming out.

my boyfriend had his out last year and went to work the next day. then again, he's crazy.

when I was in eighth grade, the entire bass section of our junior high orchestra had their wisdom teeth out in the same week. (all three of them.) we joked that we had the only bass section in the country living on Jell-O and mashed potatoes.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Afterward, only a dull ache, no sharp pain. I took aspirins and kept a wet tea bag in the sockets to reduce the bleeding (minimal anyway). Your mouth will feel miserable for a while, but you'll survive.
    I've had a variety of oral surgeries including having a cracked wisdom tooth removed (it cracked many years after it came in, none of mine were impacted) and a variety of gum surgeries. My dentist has me take aspirin for 24 hours before the operation; it helps to keep the swelling down, which is a lot of the pain. Works great. The tea bag helps control bleeding, if that is a problem.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I am too embarressed to say, I was just worried at the fact that they WILL have to come out in due time... The Problem I'm thinking of is cavitys and yes it is the wisdom teeth. Their currently doing fine but I worry easy and theres a set in front of the wisdom teeth I'm also worried about. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler
    Been there, survived that. Its painful, I won't lie to you. You'll feel like a cheek stuffed gerbil for a week or two, but it does pass. If you think that pain is annoying, let your wisdom teeth come in impacted and compare notes. Its a blessing to be rid of them.

Funny thing is, not everyone gets wisdom teeth. I only developed three of them.
    There's a fair amount of variation in people's experiences with this, it seems. When I had mine out, there was no swelling at all, but a lot of people do get the chipmunk-cheek effect for a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin Vegeta
    I am too embarressed to say, I was just worried at the fact that they WILL have to come out in due time... The Problem I'm thinking of is cavitys and yes it is the wisdom teeth. Their currently doing fine but I worry easy and theres a set in front of the wisdom teeth I'm also worried about. :wink:
    Dentist is going to yank those puppies hard now. I just called him. :wink:

Wait a minute... They'll be using general anesthesia? I thought local was good enough even for removing molars?

(For the record, I had 4 bicuspids removed for orthodontia... It was not painful at all. I didn't feel anything during the whole 5 minutes or so the actual extraction took, nor for 5 hours afterward.)

I had my wisdom teeth taken out 2 years ago at age 41. It hardly hurt at all. They put me under and the next thing I knew I was done. They gave me a prescription for Vicadin for the pain. I hated it. I couldn't sleep at all. I felt like I was floating all the time. The very next day I was fine. My mouth felt a little puffy, but that was it.

Now that it has been two years, I am so happy that I got them taken out. I used to get a lot of headaches and sinus type infections, and now I hardly get one.

Wisdom teeth cause problems apparently.. What do they cause? Sinus infections? What other **?

I had just a local for mine, many years ago. The worst part of it was opening my eyes just in time to see a hammer coming down on a chisel lodged in my mouth! They were severely impacted and had to be broken up to be removed. Pain afterward was not too bad due to considerable codeine.

Majin, almost everyone seems to need their wisdom teeth out. You'll be fine.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

WTF does severely impacted mean?

I don't have my wisdom teeth, neither does my husband. All of my kids have had them out as well. My son just had his out this summer and he was just fine. The problem is that wisdom teeth are basically "second string" teeth (they serve as "spares") and due to their location they can form cyst-like pockets and cause harm even to your jaw bone. Honestly, it's really best to just have them out. In fact, it's far better to have preventative dental work done throughout your life, less pain and less money in the long run.

A friend of mine who was a semi-professional flautist had to have her wisdom teeth out. She thought the after-effects were great: until the swelling went down, she sounded like Jean-Pierre Rampal!
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Thanks for making me feel 100% good about it ToSeek... </sarcasim>

I had my wisdom teeth taken out around 35 years ago. Not a bad experience. I had a gas but I was not knocked out. I remember the dentist had unbelievably strong hands. Once he got the pliers on the tooth and twisted it, it felt like my jaw was going to break. But it didn't. Wasn't a bad experience.