Thread: Water Ice On Other Bodies Question

Water Ice On Other Bodies Question

Is water ice of the Moon and Mars expected to de-salinate itself like it does on Earth?

Thank you.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Hey there Big Don, I'm no moonologist but I'd "guess" that without a water recycling process (rain) that stagnant sources of water/ice might over time absorb the surrounding salts to a saturation point. Mars on the other hand does appear to have "weather" so who knows.

If the water melted and got filter thru layers of rock it could desalinate that way too, but that is dependent of what types of rocks are under the ice. Also what is in the ice can change the freezing point of the water that could used possibly also.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Plus water mixed with other substances would lower temperature for freezing so it could be a better substrate for life development.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Even with plain old salty water freezing, lower gravity is going to lower the density gradient, so a block of seawater frozen on the moon probably won't be quite as fresh as one frozen on earth.
    Surely someone's done this on the space station, and found little pockets of extra salty ice distributed throughout a frozen globule?
    I suppose there might be some sort of weird dendritic transport system that self assembles and transports impurities, but it's hard to believe mere surface tension differences could drive such a complex system very far in the time it takes bulk water to freeze. Still, we've got ice spikes: https://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~smo...icespikes.html xx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RLQ9WMP2Es

Firstly, ice is not going to "melt" on the moon or Mars surface. It sublimes directly into vapour.

So if anything, the sublimation process will concentrate dirt and salts (if there were any to start with) in the ice left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kzb View Post
    Firstly, ice is not going to "melt" on the moon or Mars surface. It sublimes directly into vapour.

So if anything, the sublimation process will concentrate dirt and salts (if there were any to start with) in the ice left behind.
    Um, I'm talking about when sea water freezes and then freshens over time.

As sea ice ages, its crystals push out some impurities, like dissolved salt.

No liquid phase involved. That's what I'm asking about.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Um, I'm talking about when sea water freezes and then freshens over time.

As sea ice ages, its crystals push out some impurities, like dissolved salt.

No liquid phase involved. That's what I'm asking about.
    That doesn't quite make sense to me.

The act of freezing (crystallizing from liquid water to crystalline ice) is a purification process and salt will be "pushed out" from the ice. But I can't think of any mechanism where, once the ice has formed and stays frozen, that there would be further purification.
    wikipedia
    Furthermore, sea ice affects the movement of ocean waters. In the freezing process, much of the salt in ocean water is squeezed out of the frozen crystal formations, though some remains frozen in the ice.
    Last edited by Swift; 2018-Jan-21 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That doesn't quite make sense to me.

The act of freezing (crystallizing from liquid water to crystalline ice) is a purification process and salt will be "pushed out" from the ice.
    Freezing can be a rather complicated process: https://www.foodingredientsonline.co...novelties-0001
    There's lots of room for different textures, porosities, and regions of varying ion concentration; not necessarily all frozen rock-solid.

Quote Originally Posted by kzb View Post

Well, IIRC water can exist in liquid form at the bottom of the Hellas Basin...