Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ptolemy and Copernicus

Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    "It makes no sense, accordingly, to speak of a difference in truth between Copernicus and Ptolemy: both conceptions are equally permissible descriptions. What has been considered as the greatest discovery of occidental wisdom, as opposed to that of antiquity, is questioned as to its truth value." ("From Copernicus to Einstein", Hans Reichenbach)
    Yet this is what I meant above, when I said that so many people miss the real issue in the geocentric vs. heliocentric models when they focus on accuracy of prediction. The three points I listed in post #2 do indeed represent the "greatest discovery of occidental wisdom", and very much relate to the "truth value" of the Earth's relationship to the rest of the cosmos, with nothing at all to do with accuracy of prediction.

I wonder, given GR, if it will always be the case that a modified geocentric model can be made to match, perhaps exactly, that of a modified heliocentric model, both including elliptical orbits without restrictions of circles and uniform radial vectors, eccentricity (e.g. equants) allowed? A modified Tychonic model likely is the one to use for the geocentric case.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I wonder, given GR, if it will always be the case that a modified geocentric model can be made to match, perhaps exactly, that of a modified heliocentric model, both including elliptical orbits without restrictions of circles and uniform radial vectors, eccentricity (e.g. equants) allowed? A modified Tychonic model likely is the one to use for the geocentric case.
    That is more or less the defining principle of relativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
    That is more or less the defining principle of relativity.
    That's what I thought and it makes it seem logical that the models of Ptolemy and Copernicus would be very close to each other with enough tweaking even for circle-only geometry.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.