Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kīlauea Activity

Human impact: Stunning before and after satellite views of the eruption area covering homes in the Multimedia Section, posted Sept 28.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

USGS has downgraded Kilauea's alert status from orange to yellow for both aviation and otherwise due to now significant activity for thirty days. They also note this:
    This change in activity marks the first time since 1986 that lava has not been active at Kīlauea's surface for a period of 30 or more days (The last long pause was 48.5 days between episodes 39 and 40 of the Puʻu ʻŌʻō eruption.) In the past 200 years, the volcano has experienced periods of quiet ranging from months to years with no eruptive activity. However, Kīlauea is one of the most active volcanoes in the world, and additional eruptions will occur.

From the HVO site: "Kīlauea Volcano is not erupting." They haven't been able to say that in more than 30 years. But there's an inflationary trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    From the HVO site: "Kīlauea Volcano is not erupting." They haven't been able to say that in more than 30 years. But there's an inflationary trend.
    To paraphrase Arnold, "She'll be back."

So will this be considered the end of the 1983 eruption?

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Probably not, unless the period of inactivity goes on for a year or two. I'd bet it won't. It's recharging.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Probably not, unless the period of inactivity goes on for a year or two. I'd bet it won't. It's recharging.
    On the other hand....
    September 4 was the last time active lava was observed along the LERZ; tomorrow (December 5) will mark three months with no eruptive activity at the surface. According to the Smithsonian Institution's Global Volcanism Program (https://volcano.si.edu/), volcanoes with no eruptive activity over a three-month period are no longer classified as having a "continuing" eruption. Based on this Global Volcanism Program criterion, the LERZ eruption could be considered to be over. However, there is one known example (Mauna Ulu, 1969-74) in which Kilauea's rift zone activity resumed after more than three months had passed. Although this phase of Kīlauea's activity has now reached this three-month threshold, it is important to note that it is still an active volcano that could erupt in the near future and associated hazards have not changed. Magma is being supplied to Kīlauea and geophysical datasets continue to show evidence for movement of material through the magma system, including the refilling of the ERZ.
    (Link is to the update page which gets updated. I don't see how to get one for a specific daily report.)

New report on magnitude of the activity there...

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-kilaue...ecedented.html

Data from Kilauea suggests the eruption was unprecedented
    December 14, 2018 by Bob Yirka, Phys.org

A very large team of researchers from multiple institutions in the U.S. has concluded that the Kilauea volcanic eruption that occurred over this past summer represented an unprecedented volcanic event. In their paper published in the journal Science, the researchers describe the sequence of events that transpired and what set them apart from other volcanic eruptions. Kilauea, a volcano on Hawaii's big island underwent a long, drawn-out eruption over this past summer. It made headlines due to the spread of lava that destroyed many homes and changed some of the island's landscape. And it is now making news again as data from the eruption reveals that it erupted in ways that have not been seen before.

original paper:
    http://science.sciencemag.org/conten...cience.aav7046

The 2018 rift eruption and summit collapse of Kīlauea Volcano
    C. A. Neal, et al.; Science 11 Dec 2018: DOI: 10.1126/science.aav7046

In 2018, Kīlauea Volcano experienced its largest lower East Rift Zone (LERZ) eruption and caldera collapse in at least 200 years. After collapse of the Pu‘u ‘Ō‘ō vent on 30 April, magma propagated downrift. Eruptive fissures opened in the LERZ on 3 May, eventually extending ~6.8 km. A 4 May earthquake (M6.9) produced ~5 m of fault slip. Lava erupted at rates exceeding 100 m3/s, eventually covering 35.5 km2. The summit magma system partially drained, producing minor explosions and near-daily collapses releasing energy equivalent to M4.7-M5.4 earthquakes. Activity declined rapidly on 4 August. Summit collapse and lava flow volume estimates are roughly equivalent—about 0.8 km3. Careful historical observation and monitoring of Kīlauea enabled successful forecasting of hazardous events.

I really miss the daily eruption updates. Is that weird?

I really miss the daily eruption updates. Is that weird?
    Not at all. It's like missing the Opportunity photos.
    I wish Mýrdalsjökull or Vatnajökull would go off this summer.
    Not fool enough to wish Fuji on the Japanese. That's a frightening mountain now days.

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    Not at all. It's like missing the Opportunity photos.
    YOU! Don’t overwhelm us with feelings in an unrelated thread!

;-)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Interesting article about how people whose homes were cut off by the lava flows are dealing with things, six months later.

The largest eruption in more than 200 years to hit Kilauea’s lower East Rift Zone stopped more than six months ago.

Yet for dozens of Puna residents with homes or farms in at least two kipuka — isolated pockets of land surrounded by lava flows — the disaster feels like it never ended.

Instead, it has become meshed into their daily routines as they hike in supplies over craggy rivers of cooling volcanic rock, or try to rebuild their lives in other communities, eagerly waiting for the day they can simply drive home.

Those who have returned find a changed landscape, and sometimes destroyed homes or crops consumed by lava flows. But they don’t want to be anywhere else, and they have no interest in waiting.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

That inspired me to look at Google Maps to see where those roads were. I was surprised that the satellite images still show before last year's eruption.

That inspired me to look at Google Maps to see where those roads were. I was surprised that the satellite images still show before last year's eruption.
    Looks like the route finder will happily lead you over tire shredding lava flows.
    This active volcano has been continuously erupting since 1983 & sees over 2 million yearly visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    Alert Level:
    Wow. 23 years and some.

Wow.
    It's got nothing on the Deccan or Siberian traps.

Or the Columbia River Basalts, not all that far east of me. It's an awesome place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

This is actually Mauna Loa, not Kilauea, but didn't seem worth starting a new thread.

LINK

The U.S. Geological Survey this morning changed the alert level for a volcano on Hawaii Island from normal to advisory due to increased earthquake and ground deformation rates over the past few months.

An eruption is not imminent, the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory said, and current conditions are no cause for alarm. Nor does it mean there is certain progression to an eruption.

However, the increase in both indicates changes in the shallow magma storage system at Mauna Loa, USGS said.

The USGS also changed the aviation color code from green to yellow, indicating that the volcano is exhibiting signs of elevated unrest above known background levels.

“Following a significant earthquake swarm in October 2018, HVO seismic stations have recorded an average of at least 50 shallow, small-magnitude earthquakes per week beneath Mauna Loa’s summit, upper Southwest Rift Zone, and upper west flank,” said the USGS. “This compares to a rate of fewer than 20 per week in the first half of 2018. Shallow earthquakes are occurring in locations similar to those that preceded Mauna Loa’s most recent eruptions in 1975 and 1984.”
    The USGS noted that a similar increase in activity occurred between 2014 and 2018, however, when no eruption occurred.

“As has happened before, it is possible that current low-level unrest will continue and vary in intensity for many months, or even years without an eruption,” said the USGS. “It is also possible that the current unrest is an early precursor to an eventual eruption. At this time, we cannot determine which of these possibilities is more likely.”

Wonder if that has any effect on the observatories on Mauna Kea?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Wonder if that has any effect on the observatories on Mauna Kea?
    This is the intensity map (Did you feel it?) for a 3.7 from yesterday. The Mauna Kea observatories are on the peak that is nominally at 19.7N, 155.5W, so that would tend to indicate probably not, but I can't say for sure. Certainly, at some level of intensity, they would be.

I found this article from 2006 about a 6.6 quake off the West coast of the island.
    Sunday's 6.6-magnitude earthquake off the west coast of the Big Island of Hawaii was the largest seismic event to hit the Aloha State in two decades. Despite substantial damage, particularly on the Kona coast, there are no reports of fatalities from the early-morning temblor. In other good news, it appears that the telescopes atop Mauna Kea survived relatively unscathed.

Keck Observatory announced that both 10-meter primary mirrors appear undamaged. However, the telescopes' guidance systems were impacted. Both telescopes are offline today, but Keck I is expected to resume normal operations as early as Wednesday night; Keck II may take longer to be readjusted.

Gemini Observatory's 8-meter telescope also seems to have survived well. According to the observatory's public information outreach manager Peter Michaud, our "first impression is that Gemini fared well." He goes on to express some concern about some of the behemoth telescope's azimuth bearing, but earthquake restraints designed for such an event were in place and functional when the shaking occurred. "It is impossible to predict when we will return to normal operation," according to the observatory's website. "We estimate that continuing inspection, test, checks and science verifications will take several days, even if no major stumbling block occurs."

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    This is actually Mauna Loa, not Kilauea, but didn't seem worth starting a new thread.

LINK
    Thanks for the update. Mauna Loa is actually a more dangerous volcano than Kilauea. And I know they are separate volcanoes, but I do have to wonder if deep down Kilauea's current dormancy has influenced Mauna Loa.

Thanks for the update. Mauna Loa is actually a more dangerous volcano than Kilauea. And I know they are separate volcanoes, but I do have to wonder if deep down Kilauea's current dormancy has influenced Mauna Loa.
    I believe a pattern or connection was discovered in which - generally speaking - when Kilauea is active, Mauna Loa is not and vice versa.

[checks]
    I found this, which seems to confirm what I remember:
    https://www.livescience.com/24262-ki...oa-linked.html

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Ponds forming in Halema‘uma‘u

A couple of days ago, a small pond of water was seen at the bottom of Halema‘uma‘u at the summit of Kilauea. Over the next couple of days, more ponds have formed.

USGS website with photos

Aerial view of Halema‘uma‘u at the summit of Kīlauea taken during a USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory helicopter overflight on August 1, 2019. The small green patch visible at the bottom of the crater was first noted by a helicopter pilot while conducting a scheduled lidar survey of Kīlauea's caldera on July 25, 2019. During today's overflight, HVO scientists confirmed that the green patch is indeed a pond of water.
    From Volcano watch

We can now confirm the presence of water at the bottom of Halema‘uma‘u. HVO observers on the helicopter overflight saw reflections from the green pond—the 'smoking gun' for water. The pond has clearly enlarged since the earliest photos on July 25.

With the presence of water confirmed, HVO scientists can now start thinking about the implications of water in the crater, relieved of the burden of having to prove its existence. Until we better understand where the water is coming from, it's impossible to understand its significance.
    If there is water, the next question is, "where is it coming from?" The floor of Halema‘uma‘u is now about 68 m (223 ft) below the level of the water table as measured in a deep well about 1 km (0.6 mi) farther south.

The USGS image page now has IR images of the crater and pools and shows a water temperature of about 70C. It also shows several fumaroles in the crater.