Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Study says we are probably alone in the universe

I wonder if the reason we don't see evidence of astroengineering like Dyson spheres is because other species have figured out a better way to harness energy in enormous amounts. Maybe a Dyson sphere is inefficient.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

A number of stars have been found which are unexpected dim, given their distance and spectral type, and with no ready astrophysical explanation for this. This could be evidence for Dyson spheres. The trouble is that our observations are not yet good enough to completely rule out all natural causes. The fault is in ourselves, not in the stars.

I wonder if it's possible to construct partial Dyson swarms that appear like natural phenomena, unless you get really close?
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Imagine a culture inhabiting a Dyson Swarm which wants to pretend it is just a dust cloud. It could do this by releasing lots of dust into the system, but this could make the local environment uncomfortable or risky and reduce the efficiency of light collection. Or it could anticipate the thermal signature of a dustcloud as seen from another solar system, and actively reproduce this by emitting selected wavelengths. A kind of invisibility cloak. But (like every kind of invisibility cloak concept I've ever heard about) this sort of deception couldn't conceal all the evidence of the concealed object. There's always a way to see through the charade.