Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All about your avatar

KaiYeves posted :
    ...Hourglass Nebula on it would give me the heebie-jeebies because it looked like a giant eye staring back at me, so I would turn the page really quickly. Now I just think it looks cool.
    Several years ago one of my coworkers was a lady from Turkey and her favorite necklace was the Turkish version of the "all seeing eye" which was bluish in color and very eerily similar to the "eye" in the center of the Hourglass nebula. This particular nebula should have been named the All Seeing Eye nebula.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Several years ago one of my coworkers was a lady from Turkey and her favorite necklace was the Turkish version of the "all seeing eye" which was bluish in color and very eerily similar to the "eye" in the center of the Hourglass nebula. This particular nebula should have been named the All Seeing Eye nebula.
    My mom (Greek-American) collects things that feature the Greek version of the eye, which is almost always blue in the Greek tradition, but usually depicted as round rather than oval-shaped like the "eye" of the Hourglass Nebula.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

As a kid, “The Jungle Book” was my favorite book and I loved Bagheera, the black panther. I have painted big cats since then, and chose on of my paintings as my avatar....

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Roughly. The first four stopped at kilopi, so 4x3000, plus 11K for hhEb, 8K for now, that's 31K woot! I betcha I'm close to 31415.9 posts right now. Thanks for asking!

ETA: actually, 30375
    Ok, please let us know when R=100.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Mine is my explanation for the Fermi Paradox.

We're embargoed.
    Selden

It's Jack of course!
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Wonderful humanitarian and all around swell guy...

()
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Just brought myself in to line with other sites I am on
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

So you joined Dad's army, isn't that another hustler type character.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I refereed soccer for 20+ years and feel moderating this board is similar. So, I chose Pierluigi Collina, who was noted for being strict, fair, and with a sense of humor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierluigi_Collina
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Wonderful humanitarian and all around swell guy...

()
    That's a photo of you, isn't it?
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Mine is Pseudacris crucifer, the Spring Peeper, a species in the genus Pseudacris or Chorus Frogs. Very common in the Eastern United States. Anyone who has been around this forum for a while will probably recognize my love of natural history and nature, and more particularly of amphibians. Spring Peepers are one of my favorites. Find a good pond in the spring around here and the peepers are calling so loudly that it feels like your ears might bleed, yet they are so tiny that it will be hard to find even one.

Peeps are actually tree frogs, though for them a meter up some plant is a big climb. I didn't take the photo I use for my avatar, I just like it. I did happen to find one at eye level once, just sitting on a leaf on a tree along the path I was hiking, but unfortunately didn't have my camera on me.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    That's a photo of you, isn't it?
    Marv, from the movie Sin City.

We have similar looks and facial injuries.

Only unlike the actor, I don't need the lower jaw prosthetic. Dental surgeons place underbites on a scale of 1 to 4.

I have a 4.

It's funny, I had to search for it, but apparently my avatar is Atum. Originally I thought it was Thoth (I think I chose it because of the association with Hermes, see my signature line), but maybe it was just a mistake, because I don't know much about what Egyptian gods look like.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    It's funny, I had to search for it, but apparently my avatar is Atum. Originally I thought it was Thoth (I think I chose it because of the association with Hermes, see my signature line), but maybe it was just a mistake, because I don't know much about what Egyptian gods look like.
    Doesn't Thoth have an ibis head?

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

The Ooh-cat, the pinnacle of computer animation. Also, it gives anything I write here an air of taboo and offense. Too bad this board doesn't support the animated version which I use on another board.

On audio related boards I use a closeup of a Tannoy speaker Pepperpot tweeter. Because nobody recognizes it, it looks like a Mandala or something in 100 pixels.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2018-Aug-16 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Doesn't Thoth have an ibis head?
    Yup.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Mine is a hoar frost encrusted, mountain pine beetle-killed lodgepole pine, captured early on the morning of 2009-01-21. I had travelled several km by snowmobile at about -15 to -20C, then hiked another km or so on snowshoes. Everything was coated in this frost that week.

I chose it for my avatar because the species was so important in my career, and some days I kind of felt like that grizzled old tree looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Mine is a hoar frost encrusted, mountain pine beetle-killed lodgepole pine, captured early on the morning of 2009-01-21. I had travelled several km by snowmobile at about -15 to -20C, then hiked another km or so on snowshoes. Everything was coated in this frost that week.

I chose it for my avatar because the species was so important in my career, and some days I kind of felt like that grizzled old tree looked.
    I always thought it was a beautiful photo.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

21. 2018-Sep-21, 08:07 AM

The check-engine light is so much like the real me, I could not resist. Hey, there, blink blink blink.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    The check-engine light is so much like the real me, I could not resist. Hey, there, blink blink blink.
    It’s often just a need for more water!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Mud, mud, glorious mud,
    (Flanders and Swan,)
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    It’s often just a need for more water!
    Nah, I'm really an idiot and my idiot light goes off every now and then.

I have been playing that horn for 59 years, 32 years professionally, and I am still continually learning more about how to play it.

I played one for about five years in school. I wasn't any good at it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I have been playing that horn for 59 years, 32 years professionally, and I am still continually learning more about how to play it.
    My cap's off to you, as I was the worst trumpet player in the history of Fern Creek High School.

I empathize with you guys. Brass instruments are unforgiving, with the French horn being the most so. It typically takes about 10,000 hours of diligent practicing to get from beginner to professional level skill. As in the old adage about how to get to Carnegie Hall, "Practice, practice, practice!" The closest I came was walking by it in going from the subway to the Carnegie Deli.

Long ago I found a site to create lego avatars, so I made one resembling me, holding a scroll to signify my love of book reading. I've used it in various places for (checks notes) two decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I empathize with you guys. Brass instruments are unforgiving, with the French horn being the most so. It typically takes about 10,000 hours of diligent practicing to get from beginner to professional level skill. As in the old adage about how to get to Carnegie Hall, "Practice, practice, practice!" The closest I came was walking by it in going from the subway to the Carnegie Deli.
    Funnily enough, I've never been a professional musician, but I have played Carnegie Hall. Our orchestra had T-shirts that had the joke on them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"